Across Canada, anybody else thinking of doing it?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by wbrisett, Jan 7, 2018.

1. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife and I are planning a part moto, part train trip next summer/fall (2019). We plan to ride from New Mexico to Vancouver, take the train to Halifax, then ride around a bit, then ride home to NM over as yet to be determined the route. We're now trying to find a reliable ground transporter to take the bike from Vancouver to Halifax. Without this stage, the trip is probably not going to happen. Anyone have suggestions:ear Thanks:beer
  2. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Have you looked into shipping your bike on the train with you? No idea if that's doable.

Why not ride across Canada? Lots to see.
  3. hubilado

Oddometer:

Well, yes we did look into that. We made such a journey in Europe (Austria / Italy), but the TransCanadian Trains don't offer such a service. Riding across Canada from here would be great; a couple of things holding us back are that we're both celebrating our 79th Birthdays (with all that entails) and time restraints....it's looking like this trip will take us a couple of months as it is (we don't ride so many miles in a day anymore).
    Dan Alexander likes this.
  4. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    Do you really have any idea how far it is from Vancouver to Halifax?

Is there actually a train that goes that far?

I did the trip in about 1983 on a Honda 125 but I was much younger then.
  5. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
  6. hubilado

Oddometer:
    Well, we're a little older now too, thus we're not riding from home to do it.
  7. hubilado

Oddometer:
    I'll give Air Canada a call....thanks!

Rail freight might work, but it seems it's a timing issue...those kinds of shipments go at the rail schedule, not our schedule. It might seem like we'd have time to burn with allowing a bit more than two months for the journey, but actually, we really need that amount of time and can't be getting back home much later than mid-October. We don't have winter like you guys, but we live @ about 7K feet and getting home in the snow isn't in our playbook anymore.
  8. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    There are some threads somewhere here on Advrider discussing the Air Canada bike shipping.
  9. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have two suggestions- I'm 75 next week for added perspective and we are also well traveled and long married.
    If you like train travel, do the loops in the western mtn areas of Canada as you wish. I'm a KS boy and love the high plains but they might be a part of the train trip you could miss without too much trauma? You could place the MC strategically near the Canadian Rockies and ride between RR stations. The eastern provinces could easily be another trip. It's just my opinion but I like Maine as well or better than most anything I've seen or done in those provinces, even though they are a delightful area to see & experience.
    I once had this fascination with our canoe loaded on a Canadian train and at that time they'd let you out for water of your choice then you paddled your way back to the tracks and waited for another train to catch-I have no idea if they still do that but either way my long distance paddling days are over. Those trains today are very expensive! European trains are a whole nother story when it comes to train travel than NA trains.
    I think the original idea of the bike comes along will never float due to timing mentioned above. It would be a challenge even as an A to B freighting the bike all the way east. Cheaper to buy a bike in the east, have it waiting and ride it then ride further or re-sell.
    Fall to winter timing makes the trip dicey too. In states like Maine they all go to the FL beach in October-we found it hard to find a campground open even when weather was good, after school went back!
  10. Also Ran

Also Ran Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just drove my bike across Canada this year. If I could change anything it would be an extra week in the west. I would ride to BC and do the roads and trains there. The sites and scenery in BC would easily fill in way more time than you have. Save the rest (which is also amazing by the way) for another time. Check this out and see if it is something you'd be into. https://www.rockymountaineer.com/
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island alone, is easily worth a week. Ditch the trans-continent train idea and take the MC on the BC or AK ferry north and ride home?
  12. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    My friends rode to Sturgis this year and shipped their bike home afterwards.
    It took THREE weeks for the bikes to show up. Might might be a problem mid-vacation.
  13. hubilado

Oddometer:
    Yes, THANKS I did a search on the general "Forums" page for Air Canada and got quite a few (ten pages) hits; lots of interesting experiences by inmates:rofl I found a couple of generally similar examples of what we propose to do and then called AC Cargo. Talked to a nice guy who was very helpful (all Canadians seem very helpful!). I learned that, yes it can be done. The kicker for us is the storage....the fare from Vancouver to Halifax is ±$1200 ($CA 1500) which seemed reasonable, but the storage (anything over 24 hours) is $CA.40/kg/day. For a 250kg (approx) bike that amounts to a fair bit if it sits in the terminal for 21 days. It's not an absolute deal breaker, but we'll explore other options for a while before we revisit this.
  14. hubilado

Oddometer:
    That would work nicely for us...it's a three-week train ride.
  15. hubilado

Oddometer:
    I appreciate your input.
  16. hubilado

Oddometer:
    I appreciate your input. We have ridden some in BC on our way to/from Alaska a few years ago. It's an amazing place and would always be worthy of a re-visit. It's just not our trip plan for this outing.
  17. hubilado

Oddometer:
    Your suggestions/thoughts are well received and your experience respected. We're still exploring how we might move the bike eastward so it would fit with our plan and there remain a number of options yet to be fleshed out.
    kantuckid likes this.
  18. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you do wind up going for this trans Canada trip do it in SUMMER , before September . AUTUMN is simply too changeable and too risky for running into miserable weather with cold rain in much of the transit . Sure ,it might pan out to be golden , sunny and mild , but you could as easily hit a spell of dreary gray and wet days or frosty nights . Riding in such weather is not much fun . Besides that the long summer daylight just makes it more cheery . Fall might be good for the train trip exclusively , you'll be out of the weather at least , then do the Agawa Canyon train ride when leaves change colour .
    This year I set out on the bike for the BC mountains on 12 Sept and had good weather across the top of Ontario but five days into the ride, an hour into Manitoba a cold front came through and it turned to cold strong NW wind and misty rain . The same system had earlier brought snow to the area around Calgary- around September 15 ! - and it plodded across the prairies for a week or more . . Not my idea of a fun ride- so I changed course and dropped south into the Dakotas and rode out of it , after a day , then thru WY CO UT NV and CA and south - much nicer weather. I have done many such trips across Canada and the summer rides were always the better. September rides have more than once turned into a n abort - to-south detour .
    Heated clothing might keep you safe but the scenery is just better in warm weather, at least rain then is not as depressing . Just my opinion.
    kantuckid and Dan Alexander like this.
  20. hubilado

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I have contacted them (also recommended by one of your countrymen), but haven't heard anything as yet.