Across Canada, anybody else thinking of doing it?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by wbrisett, Jan 7, 2018.

1. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you, your admonishment is taken to heart. We don't actually live/ride in the banana belt and fully realize that it's not fun riding in inclement weather. After reading your post to my wife, however, we've considered moving our dates back a bit. Of course, it all depends on whether we can get the bike moved from one end of the country to the other efficiently, but if that comes into alignment we'll probably take the journey a bit earlier.
  2. hubilado

Oddometer:
    A question for you'all (I'm not really from Texas, but we're close by :D); are there any inmates in the Halifax area who would be willing to receive our bike from Canadian Airlines (or from a ground transporter should that pan out) and store it for us (sorry no riding around:evil) until we get to Halifax....? That should be approximately 3 weeks. We would be pleased to pay someone to do this for us. Please feel free to send me a PM.
  3. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didn't Paul go Vancouver to Halifax starting Jan 1 ...... a couple of years ago? I can't remember how many days he did it in?
  4. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh wait .... isn't the record for Vancouver to Halifax only 55 hours ?
  5. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you would get more responses if you posted this request in the Canada regionals.

And yes, avoid southern Saskatchewan. If you are able to get to the northern part it's waaaaay different than the south.

This
    [​IMG]

or this
    [​IMG]
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suggest also looking on Horizons Unlimited in a maritime province area for some one to ship a bike too or ideas.Tripadvisor has an active regional section where locals will give advice, etc..
    Perhaps a MC dealer for a fee. In the end a rental from a MC dealer there might be less expensive overall? I know in Europe the break even is like 30 days or beyond to ride ones own vs. rent.
    The BMW MOA website has a listing of MC handling suggestions and a book called Anonymous which lists members who are willing to help( coffee up to repairs & storage) MC travelers.
    If health and personal inclination allows you, I'd simply kick back the dates and ride across, then maybe ship the bike back or drop down to more fall weather in the lower 48. You could get lucky as that time a year it does begin to rain in many places with lots of foliage.
    You have gotten the attention of a very well traveled Canadian (SB) if you have route questions.
  7. GiddyThump

GiddyThump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Post something in Regional Forums/Canada. I guarantee an east coaster would be happy to help you out. It is in their nature.
    I am in Ontario Canada otherwise I would. Feel free to drop me a PM when heading thru Ontario if ya need a helping hand.
  8. hubilado

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion....I've posted a message there. As far as crossing Saskatchewan, we will be at the mercy of the train tracks for that part of the trek and so we'll see what's there when we get there.:D
  9. hubilado

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your suggestion.....It's now there and we thank you for your kind offer of assistance.
  10. hubilado

Oddometer:
    We'd love to do the entire trip by moto, but we (especially my wife) have always thought about doing the train ride across Canada so this is, in many ways, a compromise. Our health is basically good, but long moto trips like we've done in the past are just not as feasible these dayz. This will be Plenty Long.:rofl

We have posted the message in the Regional Forum/Canada and are hopeful that someone in the Halifax area will respond. :ear Thank you.
  11. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might also contact a dealership. They might hold it for free if you pay for a service or tires or something.
  12. hubilado

Oddometer:
    Great suggestion! I just looked and there's a KTM dealership there: Freedom Cycle. I'll give them a call next week and see what they say.
  13. 3990

3990 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    'Few pics from my ride Toronto (roughly) to the Okanagan Vally in BC . 4200km
    Mid August to early Sept

Stopped along Lake superior in Ontario still
    [​IMG]

One thing I've found every summer in Ontario is road construction/repairs are in full swing... Fucking annoying.
    [​IMG]

Day three stop over in Wolsely Sask. 'Little motel along the highway. 'Not much to look at on the outside, but the room/facilities... Unbelievable.
    Probably the nicest motel I've ever been in.
    [​IMG]

Ambient temp. indicator read 41 degrees... For hours. 'Admittedly I underestimated the distance/time I'd face on the prairies. Never seemed all that bad in a car, but I got tired of the monotony. This pic is somewhere between Swift Current and Moose Jaw.
    [​IMG]

About two and a half hours from my destination in BC. That's Mara lake just south of Sicamous
    [​IMG]

Back in shitty Ontario... Rained non stop from about Kenora to home.
    [​IMG]

'Going again in 2019, but... 'Looking at a different route
  14. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    3rd one done!!!
    :D
  15. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    When "I" go to Ontario, it's for fishing, not that I don't also enjoy the scenery.
    Road crews working when it's not winter in Canada- yeh, that's really weird?:rofl
    The motel cleanliness isn't at all surprising given that the whole country is much cleaner than down below the USA border- well, maybe except for some urban mess.
    I tell my wife when I see roadside litter up there, "a Yank must have been here?":lol2 it's actually not funny...:umph
    That cross Canada train ride is VERY expensive as I've already played with the OP's trip idea before this thread. Even the Canadian rocky mountain portions done in circular fashion are quite pricey. Far more $$$ overall than when we rode every (EVERY) train in Switzerland a couple years back.
  16. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a recommended route to cross the prairies? I am planning a trip to BC and back summer 2019 and want to know the best route from Ont to BC (pavement only). I don't mind taking a longer route if it means better riding (eg more scenic, less traffic, etc)
  17. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    What do you think about staying in the U.S. for your trip? That minimizes the amount of flat prairie. Cheaper gas is a bonus.
    GiddyThump likes this.
  18. KLR - Ken

KLR - Ken Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. KLR - Ken

KLR - Ken Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. 3990

3990 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Cheaper gas prices are off set by a poor exchange rate... I think you might break even.