Across Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by dirtydeeds, Sep 24, 2004.

1. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I am planning a trip across Canada; AB to PEI in July 2005. My previous trips (bike and jeep) have been west. Aside from fuel, is there any reason to hang around SK or MB? Sask is my neighbour and I have yet to hear any good motorcycle stories (lots of "I had my GSXR up to 295 kph..." crap.)
    I have my trip planned once I get to NS, but what of the other 2500 miles? I will need to make 'good' time in one direction and hope to have fun in the other.
    There are "must do" trips in Ont/Que, I don't know them however, someone please enlighten me. At some point in my trip I would like to use a knobby and the suspension my bike (KTM) is equipted with. I will be checking the Rally Connex schedule. Any off-track excursions I would like to hit in the East or West direction, simply to save a little time. Rides that finish at fishing holes would be nice.
    Any Easterners know a good source for backroad maps? I don't know if I will be rigged with a GPS (pricey gadgets 'em are.)
    There are also places to not go, any comments?
    Work permitting, I am hoping for a 4 week trip.

Dirty
  2. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Looking at an Ontario map, if you look at the middle of the Lake Ontario north shore, about 20km inland, and that's my neck of the woods. Lots of good DS riding around here, so when you get closer to your trip, lemme know and we can hook up for some riding.

There's lots of good stuff once you get east of North Bay, to the west most shit dead ends except for the T-Can. Put in 3 solid days of putting the miles on, cause having lived most everywhere in the country, plus having gone cross-canada more times than I can count, there's no point in wasting your time. Get to North Bay, then start having fun. It sucks, but that's the way it is. Would be nice if you could put your bike on the VIA and wake up in NB, nice and refreshed (or hungover :D) That would be the way to do it. Dunno if it's possible.

Thru here and Quebec there's some good stuff, but I think you would have more fun if you cut around the east end of Lake Ontario, then hop into the Adirondack Mountains of NY and head east thru the Green Mountains of VT and NH, heading up thru Maine towards NS. That's where the fun riding is, even if you're just transiting the area.
  3. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I will PM you when my trip schedule becomes more concrete.
    I have thought about shipping my bike east. A couple friends of mine drive all over NA. If they are pulling a deck that way I might get the ride and shipping for free. And they will bring me on a guided tour of every shady strip club on the TransCan. Or I may be in a position to buck up and pay for shipping.
    I have been hoping for some advice on the NE states too, not much comes up on a search for "Vermont" . Sounds worth going, especially if I can make some time back by hopping on the CAT to NS.

Thanks for the excellent response.

Dirty
  4. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live in southwestern Ontario and know most the good roads in Ontario and Que. I will also throw my $.02 once I get the road atlas out and refresh my memory a little. Drif10 gave you an excellent idea with heading through the adirondacks up around lake saranac and lake Placid. You could take the ferry across lake champlain to Burlington and do a bit of Hwy 100 in vermont (which runs n-s), then head east through NH and into main and catch the ferry to NS.
    As for Ontario/Quebec....I would head north-west through Montreal up through Tremblant and head west into Ontario. I would come across #60 through the south end of algonquin park and across some nice little roads through the lake rosseau area then up and across the Soo and drop through the U.S for your trip home. Maybe head right across and do logan's pass in Montana and come back into AB from the west. IMHO, Sask and Manitoba are best seen at high speed and as quickly as possible, but avoided completely if at all possible.
  5. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a nice trip you're planning. You may want to hookup with the Ontario Dual Sport Club at http://www.odsc.on.ca/ they may have some tips on roads and trails to travel. They're a great bunch of people.

Most of the roads around Algonquin Park are beautiful: From Haliburton to Bancroft and on to Ottawa, even taking the Trans Can north of the park can be fantastic.

Take a look at this url http://www3.sympatico.ca/elhum/ for Great Ontario Bikeroads they have a few area maps with direction of some decent areas.

Hope this helps. I'm located in the Tto area so pm me when you're heading this way I'm always looking for a reason to ride.

Cheers

Fin
  6. rcp

rcp Occasional Lurker

Oddometer:
    I'll second the recommendation for http://www3.sympatico.ca/elhum/ as an Ontario road reference. You may also want to check out http://cmgonline.com/touring/Tours/index.html for some routes around several parts of Canada. In Quebec, avoid the area around Montreal unless you want to actually go into the city (well worth doing!) - it's fairly flat, congested and uninteresting. The north shore of the St. Lawrence is more interesting than the south, and the Gaspe and Acadian peninsulas are more interesting than the western parts of New Brunswick.

New Brunswick Dual Sports Club http://www.nbdsc.ca/ might have dirt recommendations.

- Richard
  7. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Probably the more interesting way on a bike is to take Highway 16, hook up on the 44 in Manitoba, and follow it to the Ontario border. Otherwise that part ias a boring part of your journey, like riding an interstate.

From the Ontario border,ride to 40k out of Ignace, and follow the 622 to Atikokan, then from there to Thunder Bay, on HWY 11.

That's where it starts to get really nice. Take the 17, and stay on it and follow the North shore of lake superior. It's an beautiful ride, trust me.
    I'm in Dryden , PM me when your ready.
  8. Scalzitti

Scalzitti Adventure Driven

Oddometer:
    I second what ZZR_Ron said about Highway 11. I rode it this fall as part of an IBA Great Lakes Gold ride. Finished with 50 minutes to spare!

Picked 11 up in North Bay and rode it Wes into Nipigon where it merged with 17. I made a mental note that this was a road that I needed to come back to and take it slow and easy on to better enjoy the surroundings. Beautiful road through a great province! I've also enjoyed riding 17 on another trip when some buddies and I rode around Lake Superior, we were riding for fun only not doing any IBA stuff.

Looking at the map now, there are a number of spur gravel roads that shoot north from 11 that could provide some nice side trips.

Further West in Ontario 527 runs north from the Thunder Bay area and 599 runs north from 17 in Ignace. So many roads, so little time! How I love to ride in Canada!!!
  9. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dirtydeeds, just out of curiosity, which KTM are you riding? Please say it's an LC8 Adventure and not a single 'cause I just can't imagine riding a KTM single through Saskatchewan and Manitoba on the TCH.

Whichever bike you ride, have a great trip. you're gonaa love the East coast.

Richard.
  10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    OK. I am leaving tomorrow. I finally got my luggage rack mounted, my tires changed back to DOT standards (Sahara rear, Desert front), a windshield mounted and a helmet worthy of highway speeds. Still not packed, haven't even tried to strap anything to the bike and am doubting my engineering ability on my windshield mounting (it looks good though...) Atleast I have well over 12 hours to figure things out. Things are going uphill now though, I can tell because the cat shredded the map after I used it.

The plan is:
    Transcan to ONT onto 17, 622 S to 11, follow N shore of Superior 'till Wawa and N on 101 into QUE.
    From 101 to 113 E. Pick up 170 S to St Simeon and back onto the Transcan. Then E to the Bridge.

I will spend 4-5 days on the Island, possibly drink a beer or 2, and plan a tour back west.

Thanks to all for the recommendations.

Rockt: yes, its a single.
  11. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I PM'd you my phone number and address...to your Yahoo acct.
  12. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Did dirtydeeds(Jeff) hook up with you on the way through???
  13. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Never heard a word. :dunno
  14. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Too bad, I think he rides the same bike as you...an LC4.
    (Im not really familiar with KTM's)

We got him through Northwestern Ontario on mostly backroads, it
    was a good ride.
  15. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Sorry D-10, still on the coast. Going to the Madeleine islands tonight, to NS in a couple days and should be back in Ontario in about a week. Haven't been online for awhile. Are we still on for a date? If you emailed me let me get to it as I have been spammed and need to delete about 300 messages.

Ron, are the beers still going down properly?

Dirty
  16. Drif10

Oddometer:
    I'm away this weeknd for a wedding, otherwise I'm around. Lemme know.
  17. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    No problem DD, let me know when you're on your way back and
    I'll get some beer on tap and an Alberta steak on the grill fer ya!

Leaving for the IBR in Denver on the afternoon of Aug 19th though...
  18. tommythecat

tommythecat Vive ut vivas

Oddometer:
    Hi there!

I am new here but I would like to start to contribute.

I live in Montreal and it's true, avoid the city if you don't wanna visit it...

The Eastern township in the southern part are awesome. Great roads, a bit of gravel if you want to and great views. Sherbrooke is a nice small city, you would find anything you need. I suggest, if you have the time, to look around Frelishburgh, one of Quebec's most beautiful villages... and great road around there!

Hope you have fun!
  19. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Just went through Montreal this morning. It wasn't bad. I would like to eventually visit the city. Next time, when I don't have other obligations.
  20. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Cool! I'm in Wyoming.
    Denver tomorrow for the IBR

North Dakota was boooooring!