1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

across oz ride

Discussion in 'Australia' started by cirell, Aug 16, 2020.

1. cirell

cirell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking of doing a ride from east to west coast of oz. Was wondering how much time to allow (cruisey pace, mainly dirt) possible routes and if anyones done it did you get the bike transported over there or what . Next year hopefully if things get back to normal. Hoping to take in the gunbarrel hwy at least one way not sure about the simpson
    Interested for any input
  2. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    stumps and Suncoaster like this.
  3. darren70

darren70 Loud pipes matter

Oddometer:
    better off riding west to east, that way every day you ride you get closer to home. A big help if you break down.
    The Doc and bigborett like this.
  4. cirell

cirell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Read the ride report Gavo, just under a month was that too rushed?

Thanks Darren maybe a easy way there and more dirt home
  5. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Would be better if you gave us a better understanding of you, your bike and your expectations.
    Otherwise the Nullarbor can be a hot and boring place.
    You mention Simpson Desert so I'm out, no exp there.
    Nullabor I know a fair bit.
  6. gordonmichaellee

gordonmichaellee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Simpson is 5 days at a steady pace.
  7. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Tell that to cirell, not me.
  8. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    cirell if your looking at a coast to coast then I would dump any idea of freighting a bike one way.
    If your looking to book time off work or you have the time then ride every day available.

I know nothing about you. What your looking to achieve or expect.

I can say research and looking from a different perspective can be benificial to the outcome.

Believe it or not riding west and riding east past those same places will give you two different views.

Best advice from me is take your time each day and dont overthink the adventure.
    Perth305 likes this.
  9. darren70

darren70 Loud pipes matter

Oddometer:
    bigborett and The Doc like this.
  10. The Doc

The Doc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's got to be the strangest advice I've heard for a while.
  11. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    The Nullabor is only boring if you just stick to the highway and maintain 110ish. If you've got a week or two, it's bloody fantastic. There's the rub. One or the other really.
    gavo likes this.
  12. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Fully agree, Old Eyre Hwy, Burnabie Ruins, Roe Plain, Old Tele tk, back roads into Ceduna, Mundrabilla STN, and lots more.
    I only ever use the 90 mile straight as it's too sandy down south for a big bike, otherwise it's nearly dirt all the way from Hyden to Ceduna as per my ride reports.
    stumps, a2zworks and david61 like this.
  13. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    Across OZ? Tennerod's right, the Eyre Highway is the last road you'd want to choose, so much to see off it.

The Old Eyre Highway/Great Central/Tanami/Gunbarrell/APY lands/ Anne Beadell/Wapet RD/Talawanna/Junction Rd or even follow the train track.....

Or if you're really adventurish, get some decent topo maps and just follow mining and other exploration tracks, them fuckers are everywhere.
    a2zworks likes this.
  14. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    2015 I freighted a bike to Perth with all my riding gear, spares pannier etc
    Flew over 2 weeks later with clothes I was wearing and a carrying a small back pack.
    Picked up the bike, rode up the west coast to Steep point, then headed east. Meekathoura, Carnegie Station, onto the Gunbarrel, down to the great central rd to Warburton, then to Yulara, Finke River Gorge to Alice. Down to Dalhousie via Finke, across the Simpson to Birdsville, Innamincka across to Thargo and Hungerford, Goondi then to Byron.
    Ended up leaving bike at family in Bris then eventually freighted it home to Melbourne.
    Entirely doable. I did it as a part of an 'organised' ride, but did it solo with mates at home watching on a spot tracker. With the correct preparation and forethought, had no issues overall, apart from my GPS going full retard and losing maps near Innamincka, but I had a good idea of roads etc and had paper maps as backup.
    Theres plenty of rider who have done way more remote, as I said, with correct prep, knowledge and planning, go for it.
    Doing as I did saved a lot of time (I took 2 weeks with 3.5 days rest in Alice and another day stopping to watch Finke Desert race).
    cheers
    Kiwirich, mrsdnf, a2zworks and 3 others like this.
  15. cirell

cirell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, was thinking 4 to 5 weeks would do it with time to have a good look around. Richo what did it cost to freight the bike over there? The route you took sounds pretty close to what Im thinking,
  16. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    $300 from memory, I created it n a Harley crate and sent it via a Peter Stevens truck with a bunch of triumphs to one of their Perth stores .
    Not much help to you.
    Bikes Only transport are good and competitive though, used them to bring the bike from Bris back to Melb at the end, and used them since getting a bike to Darwin. Prob looking at $700 Melb to Perth. Factor in tyres fuel time and stuff like food, you come out square, but In front on time.
    GodSilla and mrsdnf like this.
  17. cirell

cirell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks richo
  18. grb6372

grb6372 GRB6372

Oddometer:
    I did the GAR 2019 (Great Australian Ride) last year on an older but very sorted 2009 KTM690. 22 big riding days. About 12 bikes in total. Byron Bay (Easterly most point) to Steep Point (Westerly most point) including Simpson Desert, Uluru and through the guts of WA/NT. 7500 klms in total. This organised "charity ride" was a supported ride. However this turned to shit at Alice Springs (Long fucking story). So experienced supported and unsupported. Also did Simpson West to East in 2016 (Standard 690). So here are a few personal recommendations from experience.
    1. Consider a fairly new bike and know your bike. All the mechanical and electrical failures occurred with older bikes. Take a spare fuel pump. My costly upgraded subframe bolt/system failed. Later a mystery engine problem ??? Wheel bearings were shot in the end. Note : You do not want any failure if unsupported. Particularly west of say Kings Canyon into WA. 2 bikes failed in WA. Very costly (almost impossible) extrication. Avoid places like Warburton, Docker River except for refueling. Then fuck off outa there. Razor wire , high fences, security camera's protect the petrol station.
    2. Learn to ride with higher tyre pressures and get very good at changing tubes, patching tubes. Consider a centre stand too. Outback roads have loose sand sections everywhere. We were hitting these at 100 to 120 kays. Bike moves around a fair bit. You get used to it. Oh yeh. Dust, dust, dust.
    3. Simpson Desert. Definitely learn to ride sand. Practice, practice, practice. East to West is about 30 to 50% more demanding/ difficult. 30% for light bike, 50% for something heavy (this includes unsupported additional weight) Note : The 690's, 701's, 950SE had the grunt for the dunes. The DRZ400"s were the biggest surprise. East West dunes are steeper and harder to climb. Left turn then right at base of dune means you accelerate up. ie : pin it and hang on. Then a shitty left turn, then right at the top. Quite tiring. West to East is shallower climb and straighter. 3 decent days to get in & out. Dont underestimate water consumption. Note : You are nuts if you want to do the Simpson on a heavy multi cylinder bike. Watch Shadower 75 or Nerd ! YouTube videos to prove it. Funny, I was in each video, going the other way.
    4. All the bikes seemed to run quite ok on the outback Opal fuel. Not a problem. Sandstone WA requires a credit or debit card to get fuel out of unmanned bowser.
    5. Front tyre got me to WA (Pirelli) and back via Nullabor. 15K. Rear Motoz just got me to WA. One Motoz rear on another 690 had a 20mm tear which was interesting. The only 18" rear replacement was in Geralton (500 kays away). One only. Otherwise Perth. Logistical problem to say the least. That guy lost a couple of days.
    6. Freight. Most bikes were crated up using the discarded crates (for new bikes) at Perth Triumph dealer. I think it was GNS transport shipped them. Perth to Villawood depot. I think it was about $400 West to East. Cheap because the trucks are empty and love any backload. East to West costs are simple. Multiply by (4). Very expensive.
    7. Return trip was via Nullabor. 8 days. Boring. Not pleasant on a 690. If you do it, sidetrack to the coast if and when you can for your sanity.
    8. I was never a fan of the real outback until I went there in 2016. Dont know what it is. Uluru will blow your mind. Love it.

I trust this helps. Generally leave early each day to get to any planned destination. We ran late everyday. Often just made it. Sometimes didn't. We got accommodation where we could. Setting up camp at the end of the day sucked. Sunset sucks also going East to West. The sun is blinding for about 30 to 40 minutes. The added dust made it worse. This 22 day ride East to West was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Just do it.
    GodSilla, Perth305, mrsdnf and 3 others like this.
  19. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Always depends on how much time you have. If you can spare 6 mths you could fill the time.
  20. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    Tip, which ever way you do it.

Get up EARLY, pack up and do some easy paced K's [ watch for wildlife ], you should be on the road as it's getting light. Then you have time to play with at the end of the day with an earlier knock-off, give the bike a once over straight away, then relax and potter around making camp or get in your accommodation.

Wasting the best riding time by setting off at 8 or 9 while everybody farts around is dumb
    leighwgold, Burnsy and GodSilla like this.