1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Across the Country on a Honda C70 Super Cub

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by hitchiker_forever, Aug 15, 2011.

1. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just found this report last week. Great job. Hope things are going well in school. I am impressed with your writing skill and when you mentioned studying Geology, it brought to mind James A. Michener, who had that background.
  2. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Its 3:45 in the morning... I don't know what time I started reading this. Sometime after more parts for my Trail 90 arrived in the mail and before I went and sold my '70 CL175 this evening.

Anyways... I can't stress how much I loved reading this. The joy I felt, the pangs I suffered, the full multitude of human emotions really from reading this just blew me away. I LEARNED insightful life lesson philosophies from simply reading this. I can't say enough about the way in which you write. I consider myself lucky to have had this RR suggested to me. The fact that you were able to relate to us with such stark clarity the whole of your experience is an immeasurable feat in the world of writing.

I was once told I should never give up writing (something I was very passionate about in the end of my HS years and start of my college years) by multiple people. However life and naysayers caused me to give up that passion and I switched my major to geology.

I loved geology, the people in it (typically more outdoorsy and outgoing, even a few 'free spirits'), and for the most part I like where its taken me in life. However at the same time my wanderlust is stirring and... Ok, to be honest after reading this its more akin to a can of pop that was ran on a paint shaker for six hours, but anywho...

I guess what I mean to say is now seriously in part because of your ride report and what its taught me, I think I'm going to try to start traveling the world and journaling as I do. Maybe do a trip down south the border on my ol' ct90. Probably take a year long work holiday in OZ. Volunteer with the peace corps or doctors without borders. Maybe somewhere during all that settle in Vietnam for awhile and teach english.

I'd just like to thank you for inspiring me, and for being another person to ring the bell that tells the soul "In your life, you always have the option to live the adventure YOU want to live."
  3. Cowboy

Cowboy Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer:
    What a great Ride Report. I wish I'd known you were passing through. I'd have gladly put you up for a night or five, and helped you with parts if you needed them. I lived in Laramie when you passed through there, and had two CT90s and a few boxes of parts sitting around unused. If you're ever passing through Elizabeth . . . :freaky
  4. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:
  5. onelonelytramp

onelonelytramp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR!:clap
  6. pacmktg

pacmktg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rafael,

You should be done with college about now. Where is the next destination. Great report

Bob
  7. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow Thread Ninja

Oddometer:
    think he went awal shortley after posting, he didnt finish this post.
  8. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    ^Sadly I do believe this is the case. Too bad because I bet he's probably got a few more good stories in him by now.
  9. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow Thread Ninja

Oddometer:
    he did post a bicycle adventure but got the poops with everyone hounding him about this he deleted everything, this too back in the day, guess they revived this tho.
  10. Bunce1260

Bunce1260 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just read this in one sitting after accidentally finding myself on the thread. Thoroughly enjoyable, well done mate!
    AteamNM likes this.
  11. cyclefreak13

cyclefreak13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really hope Raphael doesn't mind reposting this as for some reason it was dumped from the thread. The original was posted back in Feb. 2015.

"Hey guys its been a while but I thought you might be interested in my latest adventure. I dropped out of UC Berkeley and moved to Ireland to start a startup based around the idea of making the world more mobile. Pretty much I modified and created some algorithms to find people driving past you and I'm trying to make it possible to go from anywhere in the world to anywhere else. :evilhttps://rdvouz.com.

I'll be writing a bit more here and I'm trying to be entertaining if you ever want something to read https://www.rdvouz.com/blog/2015/01/05/Startup-a-little-life-update/. Just though you guys might be interested, I'm trying to get the word out to as many people as possible.
    Life's been crazy as always!"

So that should give you an idea as to what he has been up to.
    Storm Shadow and panhead_dan like this.
  12. NitroRoo

NitroRoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great read! Just finished it in one sitting while snowed in here in NC. Hope you are doing well years later!
  13. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to do a big trip like this on a small bike.
    Maybe down to Cabo
    Or Route 66
    Awesome alternative type of fun
    Good on ya