1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Across the Country on a Honda C70 Super Cub

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by hitchiker_forever, Aug 15, 2011.

1. MotoKat

MotoKat Whine Cooler.

Oddometer:
    This is an excellent read :thumb
  2. Bonnie Abbzug

Bonnie Abbzug Property of Hayduke

Oddometer:
    What a great adventure!! :clap
  3. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    :lurksubscribed!
  4. RLK

RLK KLR VFR

Oddometer:
    Oh My! You sir are doing it right! Whisky and Diet Coke in Utah.
    olderigetfasteriam likes this.
  5. gsgs

gsgs George | F650GS '01

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap
    Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!

Great trip! Great story telling skills!

I believe that you have all our best wishes (and prayers as they would say in Utah) with you.

Maybe some advrider members on your way can provide you with accommodation.

Live your dream my friend!
  6. abe rhone

abe rhone moto on the mind

Oddometer:
    come on man keep it coming. I am hooked. I am sure you saw more on your journey then most. Thirty Five give one plenty of time to think things over and look around. You will miss the slow lane when you get your 90.

KEEP GOING!:clap:clap:clap
  7. c5babe

c5babe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    subscribed.......:lurk
  8. BAREBACK

BAREBACK n00b

Oddometer:
    :ear:ear Can't wait to hear more!!!
  9. AXL Stubbs

AXL Stubbs Jesk Dockie

Oddometer:
    I didn't know diet coke or whiskey even existed in Utah!!

I took a trip during my second college summer. Time for school came around and my MOM says "don't come home and don't worry about school till your done with your trip". Two semesters later I got back to the grind. Some moms are awesome!

Keep Rockin'
    Only scared people see foolishness instead of adventure.:thumb
  10. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Most excellent adventure!
    Your Ely story had me in tears!
    I spent two weeks in the Ely hospital from a bad auto accident.
    Mostly nice people there, although I never saw outside of my hospital room. :huh
    Thank you Ely.

Keep with the great writing, and ya, a CT90 baby! You go!

I hope it works out.
  11. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    A CT-90 is too much power. You'll never make it on one of those. It's pretty much a race bike, too high strung for a long distance trip. And jeeze why the heck would you wanna go that fast anyway?:huh
  12. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    Exactly. I've got an '81 C70 too. Put a new front fender and carb on it yesterday - it runs incredibly well now. But I have to admit the CT110 for sale across the bridge is mighty tempting.
  13. hitchiker_forever

hitchiker_forever Crazy

Oddometer:
    In hindsight, coming into a town after dark after driving for the whole day isn't the best way to experience it. I'll be back later :)
  14. hitchiker_forever

hitchiker_forever Crazy

Oddometer:
    I'm just a speed demon baby.

http://youtu.be/29khjYTOLC8
  15. hitchiker_forever

hitchiker_forever Crazy

Oddometer:
    It felt weird sitting with a family that wasn't mine, with all the inside jokes and stories that I would never understand. Apparently they were preparing for a family reunion, with relatives from all over the country to attend the little campsite.

"As long as your even distantly related to us they can come," Brad's father said. "It's really nice to get to know some of them, but some of the others I wish I had never seen."
    "Some of them are just plain weird..." an aunt said.

I wonder what they thought of me? :hmmmmm

Later with some sloppy joes and chips they asked me about the trip and then we played a game of "Cheerio", pretty much volleyball with a ring instead of a ball.

My lack of hand eye coordination was rather unfortunate and I think I can safely say I sucked ass.

It was all in good fun though and it reminded me of home. Part of me missed my friends and all their shenanigans. All the summer teenage antics that I would never experience. But then part of me realized what I was doing, where I was, and who I was with. A smile crawled across my face. Those moments made my trip.

I decided to talk Brad and Jessica before I went to sleep.

"Thanks for everything, you've been so nice, you....what do you call people from Utah?"
    "Umm... Mormons, yeah Mormons"
    "Well you Mormons are the nicest people in the world."
  16. captain pabst

captain pabst b00n

Oddometer:
    Love utah, spent a lot of time there. hardly any on a moto though. Ogden, Moab, Virgin. its all good.

my favorite mormon joke,
    how do you keep a mormon from drinking on a fishing trip.
    bring another mormon.

loving your story
  17. godzuki

godzuki live better speed more

Oddometer:
    nice stuff im laid up from a crash right now ( 3 broken bones femur tib and fib and hand fracture) this story entertained me alot thanks
    Western Saga likes this.
  18. mikem9

mikem9 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    enjoying your report! like everyone is saying - good writing!
  19. Gham

Gham past expiration date Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was telling some of the guy's at work about your trip,I think most of them were wishing they had done something that wild when they were young.I bet your friends at home were more envious of you,than you could imagine
  20. hitchiker_forever

hitchiker_forever Crazy

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=Spanish+Fork,+UT&amp;daddr=US-40+W+to:Green+River,+WY&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FQsbZAId9UdY-Smd2Cfc17lNhzHQWfnZFdNriw%3BFRzFbAId6jlb-Q%3BFQCteQIdeq15-SlHjCnh4X1ahzH4TPTd16zL2A&amp;sll=40.655639,-111.419907&amp;sspn=0.287546,0.441513&amp;vpsrc=0&amp;mra=dme&amp;mrsp=1&amp;sz=11&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=40.655639,-111.419907&amp;spn=0.287546,0.441513&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=Spanish+Fork,+UT&amp;daddr=US-40+W+to:Green+River,+WY&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FQsbZAId9UdY-Smd2Cfc17lNhzHQWfnZFdNriw%3BFRzFbAId6jlb-Q%3BFQCteQIdeq15-SlHjCnh4X1ahzH4TPTd16zL2A&amp;sll=40.655639,-111.419907&amp;sspn=0.287546,0.441513&amp;vpsrc=0&amp;mra=dme&amp;mrsp=1&amp;sz=11&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=40.655639,-111.419907&amp;spn=0.287546,0.441513" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

I woke up early, sometime around 5am. I had a long day ahead of me and I couldn't wait for them to wake up. I said an early goodbye the night before, but I still felt like a whore who sneaked out of bed without leaving a phone number.
    Hmmm... I should probably leave my number behind just in case.

I folded up a paper crane and left my contact information on it before I left into the cold morning.

Beautiful Utah opened up in front of me. The Wasatch Mountains and Provo Canyon bid me farewell as I was about to enter the barrens of Wyoming and the Great Plains that I was warned about. Waterfalls, great lakes, and road carved out of rock. Most of the time the shoulder was wide enough for worry free travel and I never got hassled by the cops for driving my 35mph moped on the interstate, they even waved back!

My petcock was leaking a little bit but not enough for me to worry, I'd fix it when I was in Wyoming.

Photo0327.jpg
    Bridal Falls