ACT ADV Riders Thread...Discover the ACT and surrounds

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Oz Nutter, Sep 25, 2010.

1. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. If you are also in no rush, I'll remove that barbie for a mate who collects/rescues stuff like that for a hobby.
  2. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice little run to Wee J this morning

Lunch at the Duck and Fishes

IMG_3398.JPG
  3. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler

Oddometer:
    Well................:D all we need now is for @davorallyfan to make an appearance and we've got the band back together!!:clap
    Welcome home Hoots:thumb
    Gadget-Ian, ferals5 and Dukehunt like this.
  4. DougW

DougW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just back from a really good 700k overnighter to Bombala with a new PR7 along for company. The twisty route was courtesy of @Berdonk who had to pull out at the last minute with a dodgy tummy. As it turned out he was just feigning food poisoning and instead had a burst appendix - so another ambo ride to Canberra with the inevitable op. He seems OK tonight but is not looking forward to yet another 6 weekish in rehab - poor bugger must have run over a whole kampong of chinamen.
  5. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - we were thinking yesterday that the ACT thread seems to have become even quieter ...

Plenty of people out riding

I've been putting in a lot of commuter miles the last year or so, but not much around that - couple of nice rides just recently, and should be some more in the next few weeks

Poor Steve - that's really bad luck
  6. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    @BergDonk
    Just as well Donkers has given work away, now he has time to recover from all these nasty things....can't believe his luck lately.
    Hope he recovers well AGAIN !!!!
    BergDonk likes this.
  7. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I am wondering whose black cat crossed in front of him whilst he walked under a ladder at midnight on a full moon, breaking mirrors.

Howdy hoots, good to see you back mate.:waveI didn't know there was a cafe there. It looks nice too.
    BergDonk and Dukehunt like this.
  8. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    I'm still alive, just had another tube removed and hopefully home on the weekend. Doc reckons its was one of the more difficult ones and I delayed the surgery queue by at least a couple of hours. My appendix took 3 hours of surgery to sort apparently.

Be a while before I get some more 790 kms in, been a challenging time for sure, but on the mend now.
    :thumb
  9. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Hoots likes this.
  10. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Good to hear all went well Steve, now back on the recovery trail again and hopefullly the end of you run of bad luck..
    sidetrack one and BergDonk like this.
  11. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a few weeks off, and have been keen to get some riding in - last 12 months have been work and bugger-all else - long daily commute on the big fat Beemer the only highlight really

Sold the WRF 12 months back - knew I'd not be riding it much, and wanted to get rid of it while still contemporary - very nice bike in a lot of ways, but a lot heavier than it looked and the electric start never worked - it was getting up to reasonable hours although slow stuff mostly so low mileage

But hopefully a bit better life : work balance going forward, and wanted another trail bike

This time decided not to spend up on the beautiful Eurotrash, and went for a DRZ - have always liked them - wanted something I'm not going to get precious about trashing on gravel roads or transport legs - found one in Nowra brand new, and with on-roads and enduro kit (incl. genuine bashplate, B&B handguards, Force radiator guards) for less than $8K - picked it up last night - have only burled around the paddocks so far, but such a nice motor - really, bugger-all difference in poke to the WRF - and the gearbox is way better than either that or the two KTMs (690 and 450EXC) - silky smooth - roars into life halfway through pushing the button, which puts the WRF to shame ...

Trying to talk John D into a ride through Cowra Ck area on the weekend - full report post that ...

IMG_3399.JPG
  12. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    There is a DSMRA ADV ride this weekend, overnighting Sat in Bombala. Sat will be via Cowra Creek as it happens @Hoots, if plan A is realised. Then Cooma for lunch and if the timing is working out OK, Tom Groggin Rd to Brown Mt and some great stuff from there to Bombala. If its running late, then a quicker route via the windfarm and the good stuff will happen Sun morning in reverse instead.

I'm still not riding after my appendicitis attack, but might meet up with the crew for Sat night at the Imperial.
    Hoots likes this.
  13. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve - we were aiming for Sunday at this stage, as the weather looks a bit better - though I know you're not a person who's ever been accused of paying undue attention to the weather ...

Thinking about a loop to and from the Bredbo pie shop - haven't had one of those smoked trout pies for a long time - always good coffee - wasn't sure how many of the old tracks are still navigable - tales of locked gates - was intending to head in through Old Good Good (ex Jerangle Rd) then up to Inaloy and back down Bridges and Chakola - can you still do that? - how about taking Dowling off Old Good Good, and following that up to the Inaloy junction?

I haven't solved the fuel issue yet, so restricted to about 150-180 km range I expect - unless travelling with a DR650 super-tanker and jiggle hose ...
  14. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Supposed to be a metre of snow coming this weekend. Just sayin'.
    Hoots likes this.
  15. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Log in Hole off Jerangle Rd now is locked off, as is access via Ward's Rd here. Parker's Rd and Good Good access is still OK, but you can't get through Dowling FT any more, you have to use Old Good Good. Chakola FT is OK, as is out to Bredbo via Caperwidgee.

upload_2018-6-13_18-39-11.png
  16. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - if Log-in-the-Hole is locked, is there any other southern exit down toward the Numeralla/Peak View Rd? - maybe Fiery Ck FT?

And is Bridges FT off Inaloy still OK, or do you need to take Chakola right from the top?
  17. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Nice bike hoots, still think they are a great all round option as long as long highway miles arent common
    Hoots likes this.
  18. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tks BD - I seem to have followed your choices over the years - this one a departure ...

Fluffed around for a couple of months looking at different options - incl. the upgraded WRF, the 500-class and smaller 350-class offerings from KTM and Beta, the little cross-training bikes and the 2Ts - also wondered about the SWM 500 and 300 - all of the above as new bikes and secondhand - all with advantages and constraints, and a wide range in costs

Fluffing around is in itself a nice hobby, but doesn't get you out riding

Came back to the DRZ on the basis of unequivocal value for money / hassle free ease of use / good allround functionality - and because I've always liked them

Doesn't need much in the way of farkles - want to keep it as light as possible - usual add-ons like little folding mirror, StegPegz, tail tidy, B&B muffler insert, better bars, risers, air filter and footpegs - about it really - those things on their way - always liked the trials hybrid tyres (easier on paddocks), and will put one of those on the back

For fuel range, think I'll go with a Nomad tank this time - not plumbed, just strapped to the back when needed - should extend the range to circa 250 km, given that longer distance rides will probably be on easier trails - will work well with the little rackless enduro panniers

[​IMG]
  19. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Fiery Ck and Bridges FT are still OK. Not sure about Mt Dowling helipad itself, but the northern link trail off Good Good is definitely no go now.

Most southern exit to Peak View Road is via Parkers Rd unfortunately. I have, and am working on other options once I can ride again, but they may not be for public consumption
    Hoots likes this.
  20. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    I had a DRZ before my 690 :1drink

Hoots likes this.