ACT ADV Riders Thread...Discover the ACT and surrounds

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Oz Nutter, Sep 25, 2010.

1. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    \
    Hi Sam. I've been using that Pirelli MT43 I got from you ages ago, on the rear of my TTR250. It has been a great tyre, but it did something a bit strange just yesterday - topically.

I was climbing a steep pinch covered with rockmelon-sized granite boulders, and somehow I managed to pop the bead up from the rim over about 1/5th of the tyre diameter. The tyre was (and still is) running 8 psi, but the bead is sitting right up out of the rim for a stretch. I dunno if the bead has failed or the tyre is a bit "stretchy", but I'll be removing that one and not re-fitting it. I haven't seen this before.
  2. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know ... have had a few MT43s, and all have been OK - though I did tend to trade them in only part way through their lives ...

I like the MT43 - really good alternative to knobbies - down around the 8psi that you mention, excellent forward traction - I had one on the old EXC in Tallaganda in heavy rain once - deep mud / water-filled ruts - all good - wouldn't work well on that greasy winter clay in the Brindies

This time have got hold of a Motoz Extreme Mt Hybrid - will be interested to see how that goes - supposed to be more predictable on corners and under brakes than an MT43 - the Big Banana gave them a very positive review

3. JD

JD Been here awhile

Oddometer:

A while back Steve mentioned a locked gate on the northern end of Inaloy, but I seem to recall we have since ridden down Inaloy as far as the old Fiery Creek mines and didn't see one.

These gates on Dowling FT from the map Steve also posted at the time, I have seen first hand. Not hard to get around those though....

[​IMG]
    Hoots likes this.
  4. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    That tyre looks pretty chunky eh. I'll be interested in how it performs.

An update on the MT43, I checked the rim just to be sure and the rim is true, no runout in any direction, so it is indeed the tyre. I haven't removed it yet but I'm starting to think the bead itself must have failed. I'll report back once it's off and been examined by someone smarter than me.

I'm gonna shove a pair of used knobbies on the TTR250 instead, I might have gotten those from you as well Sam, that's how old they are.:lol3 I'm really looking forward to the lower profile of the rear tyre, it means I can remove 2 links from the chain and get all my adjustment back. And lower the gearing with my available sprockets.:-) The Trials-style rear tyre has to be at almost the full limit of axle adjustment on the 250 so it can clear the shock protector flap, it is a really tall tyre.
  5. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you're after a lightly used rear knobby for the price of a couple of bottles of red ...

Will probably run the OEM Bridgestone Gritty EO3 this w/e then swap out next week when the Motoz arrives ...

Gritty seems like a reasonable tyre - same as on the WRF when new ...
    GodSilla likes this.
  6. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good little loop around Cowra Ck area today - freezing earlier in the morning, with wind off the snow in the Brindies - not too bad a bit later on

Tracks have been watered, so very little dust - but can see that it's been incredibly dry through there lately - Cowra Ck crossing at the start of Inaloy bone dry - tend to think of that one as a bit of a challenge - Inaloy FT itself even more punitive than had remembered - bare rock throughout - some decent ruts

And the new DRZ has had a bit more of a shakedown - really is a brilliant little trailbike - last time I went through there was on the WRF and, whatever the stats say, there's bugger-all difference - DRZ is nimble and responsive, and motor has plenty of poke - suspension works well - heap of fun to ride

IMG_3419.JPG
    EXPLORAR, Dukehunt, bungen and 4 others like this.
  7. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I can see the snow falling on the range from here today. :vardy

No riding for me. I'm stayin' warm. :jkam Might arrange for my tyres to get changed later this week.
    hunter_greyghost likes this.
  8. EXPLORAR

EXPLORAR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoy these pictures of the snowfall from Sunday.

Attached Files:

9. dunc

dunc Hodophile - Coddiwompler

Oddometer:
    ^^^looks coolish out there
  10. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was that in the Brindies?
  11. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    Started work in daylight hours yesterday, light dusting of snow along the main ridge of the brindies, Mt Coree etc

Made me think that Queensland is lookin' good for the next couple of months:D
    hunter_greyghost likes this.
  12. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    People on the gold coast have coats n beanies on...:rofl
    NT was 30c most days last week:knary
    I’m not pleased to be back weather wise :vardy
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    July 2007, A4DE at Coffs Harbour, camped right on the beach with @Gwilli, and we got a hard frost. Inland a couple of k's and it looked like -10. Icicles from the trees to the ground. You might wanna think "Cairns".
  14. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love this time of year - look forward to it from about Feb onwards
  15. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    I am, about 4 weeks from now, en route to Mt Dare
  16. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Enjoy DD. It's a good thing to do this time of year. Myself and @Gwilli did a run to Maroochydore a few years back for a few days riding in the warmer weather, and it was grand.
  17. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Thinking of moving to warmer climate probably down around Bairnsdale ! :photog
    I know that it's close to Doonie but you can't have everything :amazon
    Cheers
    Baza
    BergDonk likes this.
  18. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Bairnsdale and surrounds is nice eh.

I had 3 tyres done today at Monaro Motorcycles in Cooma. Once again, friendly, no fuss, done for the price quoted and ready at the time agreed, just like the old days.

If you need anything down that way, give them a go.

An update on that Mt43 Hoots, the bead did indeed fail on that tyre. I'm left wondering if the previous tyre fitter(s) did some damage getting it on, they complained that it took 2 of them to fit each tyre last time so only the Lord knows what they did to it.
    This is why I now go to Cooma.
  19. roscoau

roscoau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At the moment I'm wishing I'd made the trip over there instead of going to the local shop. I'll have to go and have a heart to heart with them tomorrow.
  20. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think MT43s are known to be particularly hard to fit

Was going to swap over to the new Motoz hybrid, but really like the feel of the OEM BS Gritty E03 - think I'll leave it on there and just wear it out ...