ACT ADV Riders Thread...Discover the ACT and surrounds

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Oz Nutter, Sep 25, 2010.

1. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Good solution there hoots.
    I made a similar mistake putting a 21 litre Acerbis tank on my TTR250, it fitted up OK but just stuffed the whole idea of a skinny lightweight bike, it just became a grossly underpowered XR600 in my eyes. Back to the standard tank, and I bought some 2 litre fuel containers from an inmate if I need extended range.
    Hoots likes this.
  2. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    On the fauna damage theme. A while back my buggy developed a rear main oil seal leak. So I pulled the engine and replaced it. Then is spewed out the front. Seems a wasp nested in the crankcase breather and no seals needed fixing! Live and learn.

[​IMG]
  3. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    The local mechanic workshop sees a few subarus too, he had a Forester in there the day I was discussing it with him eh, full of chewed wires, he mentioned the rodents really like them for some reason.
  4. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aside from the Jack Russell, something I've found helpful with rodents is to leave the bonnet up

Far fewer incidents - less evidence of nesting etc

Clearly can only do this if the vehicle is in a shed, but rodents also like to be in a shed ...
  5. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I did just that when Wifesilla arrived home yesterday evening, I lifted the bonnet and let the heat escape, it's the warmth that the rodents are after in the first place.
    I also laid a couple of bait stations, protected by milk crates with a rock on top, to try and get the voracious little fuckers.
    I think I'll spend some time today repairing my homemade racks, I just tack welded them together in the first place and test rode them, and haven't bothered since. So when I broke a weld (again :shog) I thought it's probably time to finish the job.
    hunter_greyghost likes this.
  6. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    For those that know my local yammie dealer... chris passed away this week from cancer edit: updated info he's in a coma :(
    BergDonk likes this.
  7. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Knew he had issues and seemed OK last time [3mths], I saw him - bit of a shock !
    Condolences to family and friends - good man gone too soon

Baza
    ferals5 likes this.
  8. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    Yeah definitely a shock when my mechanics came in and told me this morning... Shaun’s been running the show for some time but I guess it will be like the Honda/Suzi shop when Neville was killed...family will sell up, it’s just changed hands again as well.
    hunter_greyghost likes this.
  9. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had a nice ride around Tallaganda today - some new (to me) trails - a lot of fun - might be a challenge after some rain

Last ride for me before back to work - great to take advantage of the sensational weather

Tracks in there are as good as they get - soft and moist under the canopy - no standing water anywhere

And another cracker for the yellow slug ...

IMG_3449b.jpg

And its two buddies ...

IMG_3453.JPG
    GodSilla, DR650Pete and BergDonk like this.
  10. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Would it be likely that Shaun could end up buying it ? He's a top bloke
    Cheers
    Baza
  11. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    well FFS my mechanics fucked up the info:bash ... Chris has not passed away but is in a coma and not in a good way.:(
  12. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Bloody hell - not good - thoughts are with his family
    Cheers
    Baza
  13. wiz.au

wiz.au Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well that's it. I'm selling the Dakar and shelving dreams of an Africa Twin, most likely for the baby of the Honda fleet, a CRF250Rally.
    Just got my ACT Rego renewal, $960 for the car, $683 to $740 for the 650, and just $289 for 300cc or smaller! :eekers
    :dirtdog
    What is with the ACT Government? Are they all a bunch of two wheel haters that have decided to use Registration + 3rd Party insurance costs to get mid and large sized bikes off the road? :umph
    Please don't tell me what NSW pensioner prices are....I already envy you guys enuf. :amazon :cry
    Only 15 years to go before I can get those discounts, but by then they will have moved the goal posts I'll bet.

Better start researching 300cc bikes! :scratch

And what am I going to do with the spare forks, 4x seats, 3x sets of wheels, spare chain and 2x different sized sets of sprockets, spare headlight, handlebars, crash bars, airbox, body panels and multiple sets of wheel bearings & filters?

Should I put the bike back to stock and sell the upgrade parts separately, or try to get a higher price for a 'well sorted' bike with a stack of consumable spares included?
  14. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    DR650 annual rego is $128, pink slip is $23.00 and green slip $163 which are not old age discounted, but postcode does make a difference to the green slips.

Tenere 1200 was $128 + $23 + $400 which went up a bit from last year.
  15. wiz.au

wiz.au Long timer

Oddometer:
    ACT used to have a 600cc step but no longer....up to 300cc and electric, or over 300cc...just the two categories/price breaks.

So 300cc or under it is....just cant justify >$1000/yr on rego and insurance when my riding doesn't require a 650 so much anymore. Just commuting to work and the occasional day/overnighter ride. A modern 250 should be able to keep up with you guys on the highway transport sections, even if I do have to wring it's neck for a bit. And off road, just have to flick gears a bit more? Should be easier to pickup when I put it down too?
    :ricky

https://www.accesscanberra.act.gov.au/registration-and-renewal
  16. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    ACT used to be cheaper than NSW, but that was a while ago now.
  17. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Hey wizzy, you might wanna consider a WR250R, depending upon your requirements.

Those CRF rally's certainly look the goods, but they are a bit underpowered (even for a two-fiddy), poorly suspended, and very porky out of the box, and I dunno there's too much you can do with them either because of the way the bodywork and stuff is integrated. My neighbour has one, and I'd say it's a nice little commuter but a spongy trailie. The best thing is it seems to give a constant 30kpl, which is fantastic mileage.
  18. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    The WR250R are solid things, as long as you don't mind keeping them above 6 k rpm all the time. They take it fine though.
  19. Turborob

Turborob .

Oddometer:
    I've a WR250R near Queenbeyan, if you want to test ride one. PM me if keen, I'm back home late next week
  20. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 and the XS650 Adventure both same price - $128.00 rego, $23.00 Inspection fee, $163.10 Green Slip = $314.10 for twelve months fun !
    [​IMG]
    Country area address helps a lot - being a silly old fart should count for something but doesn't seem to ?
    [​IMG]
    Anyway - think I'll stick with my old banger for awhile longer
    [​IMG]
    What's comparable rego in VIC / TAS ??
    Cheers
    Baza