ACT ADV Riders Thread...Discover the ACT and surrounds

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Oz Nutter, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:
    Took a stoog down to bendethra today ,

In off snowball, in very good nick , no loose stuff

exit little sugar loaf . Parks Dozer pissing around putting in some extreme cambers here and there , otherwise smooth as silk ceptin plenty of goullies lurking on road , looking for a punters front wheel who is off with the pixies .....

Duea has more fluid than I expected ,,

Plenty of coolant in the eastern crossing .

Been in and outa there for 40 yrs never stopped at hanging mtn .
    [​IMG]
    Worth a peak..
  2. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Doug - there are no day rides listed on the DSMRA website

Are the weekly rides under the DSMRA banner?

I can't get into CBR on weeknights - should be possible to communicate stuff like this without going to a pub - not that difficult to answer an email

Thanks - that would be good - I'm just keen to find a few more people who want to get out in the bush on weekends - not complicated overnighters - just day rides in Tallaganda / Brindies
    City Gone Bad likes this.
  3. DougW

DougW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Usually the CBR secretary Gerhard (deruyter@grapevine.com.au) is pretty good at replying. Also last Tuesday I heard a couple of members talking about organising a Tallaganda ride but I didnt hear the date. Perhaps Gerhard made a note in the minutes.

However I see what you mean about the website. It has recently been "redeveloped" and I couldn't see any of the usual Braidwood bakery, Talli, Pierces Ck, Kowen Forest rides.
  4. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm hearing now from various sources (incl. above - thanks) that a DSMRA group gets out regularly for trail rides in Tallaganda or the Brindies

Again, not really interested in the big formal events - incl. the bakery ride and the overnighters

Just regular trail rides around the place
  5. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    This stiff gale has reignited the forests around my place, the weather radar shows it raining but it's actually smoke. It's burning like billy-o out there, a couple of fire tenders went roaring out there, sirens and lights, I wouldn't want to be living up Yankees Gap Road at the moment. The sky is just black and orange over the ranges (again), thick billowing smoke everywhere pouring out. It's like the end of the world.
  6. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can imagine that would be the case

RFS site has that one upgraded to emergency - don't see that very often - really bad

Smaller grass fire near Numeralla now - Carlaminda side
  7. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Lots of police and bikes in Canberra today for the Wall to Wall ride..
  8. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apparently one of the riders has been killed
  9. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    Sadly yes an officer was hit by a car that crossed to the wrong side down in Victoria.
    Heap of them rolled through Goulburn today. It was nice this morning but I was working :doh
    hunter_greyghost likes this.
  10. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Good thing we haven't bought up there then, that sale hasn't gone through yet - needed a good burning though - no regular burn offs for years I bet
    Always maintained that this country is designed for slow burning 'cold' fires during the right time of year, do it in blocks for safety purposes - some country this is impossible I know
    I was at the big fire down at Burrenjuck in '72, yep not good country to go into, sit outside and wait for it to come out onto open country where you can get at it !
    Hope everone is OK down way Tom
    Cheers
    Baza
  11. Turborob

Turborob .

Oddometer:
    Small world - I've done quite a few rides with Pete (he was a KLR Rally regular for quite a few years).

Good to hear he's still doing well.
  12. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Cheers Rob.

I spent the afternoon watching the choppers water-bombing. At various times there were one, two, or three choppers working the same spot. They were bombing around a house in the bush, last I looked the house was still there and 2 choppers were still at it. Meanwhile it continues to spread around the top end of the valley, very visible at night burning. Over the back are 2 light aircraft spotting for a four-engined water bomber, they have the big guns over there for now.

When I download the photos from the camera I might post a couple.
    hunter_greyghost and BergDonk like this.
  13. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Firemap [RFS] - not looking good for those two places Bev & I were going to look at, photo of the house burnt shows mudbrick - both were mudbrick !
    hope there's a good dose of wet stuff soon - not heavy but constant over a few days, looking at the topo of down there - that's the only way to put it out
    Stay safe
    Cheeres
    Baza
  14. City Gone Bad

City Gone Bad Old Balls

Oddometer:
    Wicked weekend away with the DSMRA club, participating in the Canberra to Tumut Enduro/ADV ride. Couple of snaps I went through last night, will try and share more I can pilfer through social media at a later stage.

5.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    EXPLORAR, Ron50, BergDonk and 3 others like this.
  15. DougW

DougW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GodSilla, BergDonk and City Gone Bad like this.
  16. Ron50

Ron50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CGB, is that a very small bike or do you have a huge helmet?
  17. City Gone Bad

City Gone Bad Old Balls

Oddometer:
    Ron50 likes this.
  18. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:
    Thumping Mango

Took another punt down to bendethra this morning on the 62 fitty

Scope out potential 4x4 campsites amougst the vast acres availible ....

Recon caves walk ..

Transport to Moruya ,:(

Coondella ft to sugarloaf :), good run plenty of timber down but negotiable ..

Bloody beautiful morning .

Anyone ever scoped out diamond creek off coondella ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Still burning here. Yesterday we had 12 choppers and 6 fixed-wing aircraft at it, it's like living under the flight path for the Battle of Britain. Orange fire retardant, water, more choppers, it's been pretty hectic all day today as well, and there's still big columns of filthy black smoke pouring upwards. The fire jumped containment on Saturday (they were 1.5 k's from finishing that containment line and ran out of daylight on Friday) and did a run back over the peaks from Brogo way and back down into the valley, it grew by 50% in size in an afternoon. There doesn't seem to be any relief on the horizon either, it's beginning to look like it will burn clean through until sometime next year. Fuck.

And just to make things more fun (not), my river water pump packed up this morning. I dropped it off for repair and bought a new one, but the problem persists, despite replacing the foot valve as well. I'm thinking I might have to pull the whole line apart and check for blockage tomorrow, just what I was (not) looking forward to. Fuck.
    hunter_greyghost likes this.
  20. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:
    Today

Wandy Crik ,aka defibrillator s/t.

Dry as a chip ....

Them there fires are a coming ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]