ACT ADV Riders Thread...Discover the ACT and surrounds

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Oz Nutter, Sep 25, 2010.

1. havafati

havafati Yassdafarian

Oddometer:
    Haha no way I'm moving to Sydney mate. All our operations are going to NPC a co-venture between Nine and Seven.

Turns out I'll probably be the last Operations person to leave on 30/06/2020. Hows that for notice! Very happy with my package, just over a years pay. Time to start planning a big bloody holiday. :-) Once I get a bike running and regoed I'll send you a ping.

Cheers,
    Fati
  2. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought Jerrawa might have hit the jackpot

Apparently 25mm in some places
  3. Siva

Siva Canberra ACT OZ GSer

Oddometer:
    sorry to hear about your job... it's better than in kick up ya arse and told to fark Off..

Yes - that's Jamie and i'll let you know tomorrow when i pick her up. From my few conversations with him, looks like a pretty good person and operator. He builds race engines and does a lot of other work... so far i must say i've been very very happy.

let you know tomorrow.
    havafati likes this.
  4. havafati

havafati Yassdafarian

Oddometer:
    Cheers
  5. wiz.au

wiz.au Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will be good to have somewhere I can take my BM's for stuff I dont want to, or can't do myself. Other than Bergdonk's shed that is! :D
    hunter_greyghost likes this.
  6. Toy Rolex

Toy Rolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was so close I could smell it, I just could not see it.
    Hoots likes this.
  7. Rodsmetal

Rodsmetal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bridle track still open , nature is chewing away at it,bit by bit . Rumor is the mayor has 2 mill allocated for a fix.

Attached Files:

8. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    I’m impressed! The XL made a fair mess of the snatch strap :lol3
    Rodsmetal likes this.
  9. havafati

havafati Yassdafarian

Oddometer:
    2 million has been allocated from the state to reopen the track but it will bypass the Bluff where your pics are taken.
  10. DougW

DougW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another nice weekend doing a recce for a DSMRA o/n ride to the South Coast in a couple of weeks. Bendethera is in good nick, especially the access from the east along Little Sugarloaf Rd, which has recently been graded. A bit of dust around but hopefully some rain this week will damp that down and fill some puddles in dry creek beds.
    City Gone Bad likes this.
  11. City Gone Bad

City Gone Bad Old Balls

Oddometer:
    Hi @DougW,

I noticed Stace has this DSMRA ride listed as Grade 2-3, aimed at experienced riders. Do you think the recent grading of the road would allow less experienced riders to tackle the adventure?

Derek.
  12. dunc

dunc Hodophile - Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    you getting any rain down there @GodSilla dampening that fire down
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Not today mate. I've been watching the sky but rain is a no-show up to now. I did get a couple of dozen drops across the 200 square metres of tin shed roof (self-administering a haircut at the time...), but that was it so far. I'm hoping some comes this evening, but given the direction it is coming from I don't hold out that much hope.
  14. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    The eastern/Moruya side is probably the easiest access, particularly for a bigger bike. If you want to Adventure-ride to see the place, that's the best way in. Do it in the dry.

I can't see the DSMRA coming out the same way they went in though, so it's either Snowball or Bendethera FT, both harder. Snowball on a big pig with not much skill could be a challenge as it is steep, and the surface can be OK to rubbly loose shite. Bendethera FT would be a death sentence. The ride might be graded for some of the other parts they intend to travel too.
    My time-dim rememberances, these aren't generally "Adventure" rides but more soft enduro at best, and can turn into hard enduro at times. A lot of enduro bikes on these rides when I used to do them, and many trail singles because they are also reasonably light. The last DSMRA one I did down that way climbed from the Araluen valley floor to the dizzying top of the range and then immediately dropped straight back down again, and then repeated the entire exercise, and it was steep and loose and tight, lots of 1st gear on the XR, ears popping like mad. Then we crossed some creek like a dozen times in 5 k's or some such ridiculous shit, and if you didn't have someone in front to show you the line you'd just drown your bike. Lots of single-track. Yep, the DSMRA rides I went on were hard, but FUN!

If you don't feel "experienced" and you are on a heavier bike (Strom, GS, etc.), I'd say stay home.
    If you are on some sort of enduro with knobs on then by all means have a go, it will be a skill-builder with any luck.

Pretty much any DSMRA ride I went on required knobbies as well. You can get away with 80/20 MT21-type tyres but the 50/50 and less ones are for experts or potential patients.
  15. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    The last DSMRA ADV camping overnighter we did to Bendethera was in and out from the east, and I expect this one will be the same, unless everyone is on singles and we could go via Dampier from the west, probably down only. You always get down....

Which ever way it happens, a river crossing or two probably means wet feet.

We wouldn't subject ADV riders to Mericumbene, unless you asked...... and only then if I knew you were up for it.
    City Gone Bad and sidetrack one like this.
  16. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Note my wet panniers, just after the main water crossing into Bendethra:D
    I think you rescued some one from there didnt you Steve?
    [​IMG]
  17. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    A few years back we collected a BM in the ute that hadn't been real happy with the main ford. A Cbr inmate whose name evades for for the moment.
    Ron50 and sidetrack one like this.
  18. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    Hoots, BergDonk and Ron50 like this.
  19. City Gone Bad

City Gone Bad Old Balls

Oddometer:
    Cheers all,

Will be at the meeting next week to discuss, further to that I'll be around most weekends looking for cheap bike thrills.
  20. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I once watched a bloke from work drown a new Patrol at Bendethera at a simple crossing, he decided to amuse all the kids who had congregated in his car and turned away from the easy ford into deeper waters, that got deeper quickly, and the rear floated, then it sank. Nobody died, but the car was a write-off. We got it out with a snatch strap (the only spare they had) but it never ran again. The only dry electrical fitting was the interior roof light. But I digress.

I wasn't aware what sort of ride it is CGB, just remembering my own (ancient) experiences with the DSMRA. For all I know it could all be a cruisy trailride :dunno, but I thought (going by the dsmra website) the grading was 0 to 4 these days, so a 2/3 grading would indicate some technical bits and 3 is rated for Enduro bikes and experienced, fit riders.
    If you are fit and have an enduro then have a crack by all means 'cos that's the only way to become experienced.

Especially when someone else is carrying your stuff.:evil