ACT ADV Riders Thread...Discover the ACT and surrounds

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Oz Nutter, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheap bike thrills can be had this Sunday if you're keen ...
    City Gone Bad likes this.
  2. City Gone Bad

City Gone Bad Old Balls

Oddometer:
    Definitely @Hoots, was going to be away but plans changed. I'll send you an email for the deets?
  3. City Gone Bad

City Gone Bad Old Balls

Oddometer:
    All good @GodSilla, been an inpatient a couple of times so 'notsokeen' to get too out of my depth to quickly and bust some more ribs lol.

Happy to be challenged though as the bikes up for it, just got to keep repeating the efforts and get feedback from those aware of my abilities. Been there a couple of times in the fourby so aware of the climbs out and the descents.
  4. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. JD

JD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It certainly was an adventure.

I still have a sequence of photos showing the ill fated crossing attempt, taken by another rider waiting their turn to cross.

I swore at the time I'd never try and take a big bike down there, but then a few years later I did exactly that on a DSMRA ride. Where it rained....and hailed....
    BergDonk and City Gone Bad like this.
  6. wiz.au

wiz.au Long timer

Oddometer:
    On overnight or 'big' rides it's common these days in DSMRA ACT for there to be 2x groups doing different tracks. An Enduro group that do grade 2/3, and a ADV group that do grade 1/2, sometimes 'mild' grade 3, usually because of the steepness, sand or surface, or deep water crossing, but usually a very short section that help can be provided to get through.

I doubt the ADV group ride will be any 'proper' grade 3 as the ADV group have no luggage support and are supposed to carry all their own camping gear in & out. Not many I know could do grade 3 on a big bike, loaded with gear too.

The Enduro group have luggage, fuel, food, and recovery support, so could go full grade 3 tracks.

Not knowing what Stace has planned, and working off the route for the year I ran the ride, if you can do Webbs Ridge or Waterfall in the Brindies, you'll be right for the ADV group to Bendethera. Just don't grab a handful of front brake on the steep decents on a KTM 990. :augie
  7. City Gone Bad

City Gone Bad Old Balls

Oddometer:
    Thanks Graham,
    Guess where Ill be training over the next few weeks? :y0!
  8. wiz.au

wiz.au Long timer

Oddometer:
    Give me a call/txt if you want some company. I'm available most days for a while.
  9. Siva

Siva Canberra ACT OZ GSer

Oddometer:
    Picked up my bike and must say... he's going to be my bike mechanic going forwards.

I am very pleased with the work Jamie did. If i was asked to recommend one - he'll be it.
  10. Rodsmetal

Rodsmetal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1332.JPG IMG_1339.JPG IMG_1334.JPG
    Nice Kozi loop ride on the weekend with a eclectic mix of bikes (wr250 xl600, ktm640, 650x challange, dr600, xl500, dr650, )
    Last pic of the water is Tantangra porthole (brown water) meets the Eucumbene river (clear water ). The two water bodies have different temperatures and dont mix un till temps are the same. interesting to look at.
  11. wiz.au

wiz.au Long timer

Oddometer:
    VVCMCC ride?
    :hide
  12. dunc

dunc Hodophile - Coddiwompler

Oddometer:
    did your fire get dampened down MR SILLA
    or is it still going ??
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    The water from the sky seems to have knocked it fairly well, although choppers with buckets are still around doing hotspots somewhere. The RFS website has the status as "Under Control", for now anyway, so here's hoping......

On another note, I just ordered a new helmet. @RusselM showed me his LS2 at the recent AMCROSS meeting down this way and I was mightily impressed, particularly for the price. I went to the local bike shop (as you do....) to see if they had one or could order one in, the owner dude had just one for sale (but in the wrong colour) and told me the wholesalers/distributors had recently changed and I couldn't expect any stock until November at least. He didn't bother ringing them either, so I did just that when I got home and guess what? They have EIGHT in my colour and size, and I just ordered one through the local mower shop as he also has an account with the wholesaler/distributor (and he rides a KTM).
    If the local dedicated bike shop is too bloody bone-idle to do the job (actual customer service, as opposed to simply operating a till) they won't be getting the business. How useless are they?
  14. dunc

dunc Hodophile - Coddiwompler

Oddometer:
    good to hear the fire is getting under control

and yeh the local shops wonder why people buy online when they dont want to try to get what ya want
    they will figure it out when there not open anymore
  15. wiz.au

wiz.au Long timer

Oddometer:
    FMD, Batemans Bay on a Sunday...check the price of the Premium!
    20181014_081703.jpeg
  16. wiz.au

wiz.au Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was wet all night in Batemans Bay. Waiting to see what we do this morning. Hadn't been on Pistol Shot track before yesterday, what a hoot that was! More again please @DougW !

BTW Karoo3 rear tyres suck. Good thing it was free. Time to go back to a E09. At one point I stopped, convinced I had a flat back tyre given the side to side squirming the bike was doing...nope...just a shit tyre.
    2018-10-13 20.49.14.jpg
    BergDonk, ferals5 and Toe - Cutter like this.
  17. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:

Sweet old Jew burner ..

Dump some air from the rear ....

How do u go for parts on them there old dakars these days .?

Cheers
  18. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    I hated the K3... a full road tyre is better in mud.
    hunter_greyghost likes this.
  19. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    That's still noticeably cheaper than Bega mate. We get the highest prices, soonest. 2 major servos here, both supermarket-owned by the look of them, and in lockstep regarding prices.
    I buy my 98 in Bega from a privately owned servo up the hill, and even when the shop-owned one has an 8c per litre discount I can often buy 98 cheaper up the hill, retail. The fuckwits with the shopper dockets just don't get it, a discount on an overpriced product isn't a discount, it's just a con.

BTW, dirt track on at Sapphire Speedway today. FYI.
  20. BisonR1150

BisonR1150 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    for the suckers who don't know petrol is much cheaper 5 k's north up the road .