1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

ACT ADV Riders Thread...Discover the ACT and surrounds

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Oz Nutter, Sep 25, 2010.

1. crazy cat

crazy cat Crazy cat

Oddometer:
    You can see all the roads and tracks for miles now .
    BergDonk likes this.
  2. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I took a 3 hour spin around the top of Brown Mtn., down Packers Swamp rd to New Line, back up New Line and across Hercules fire trail (good fun, a bit of enduro) back to Packers Swamp.
    I checked out a few diversions, it's really nice at Alexanders hut presently (a small reddish skippy with a little 'un in the pouch just looked at me and didn't seem worried at all) and most of the fire damage along Packers Swamp looks like a cool burn, but there were some hotspots. Once I hit New Line the damage was much more severe. Hot and steamy down here, cool and thunderstormy up top, I got bit damp. The new bike just ate it up.
    Where the forest floor has been burned it would be fantastic on a trials bike at the moment.
    Hoots, Toe - Cutter and BergDonk like this.
  3. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:
    Water in packers ?
  4. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Some. You can see some water in Nunnock Swamp on the road in to Alexanders Hut. As I'm typing this I can see lightning and there's thunder from up that way now. A thunderstorm is starting at my place too.
  5. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really envy you re' bike
    GodSilla likes this.
  6. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:
    My cluster I meant nunnocks,

I've only seen it chokkas twice !
    GodSilla likes this.
  7. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Must get out and about - once I get finished moving - only got a container of XS650 gear to go !
    Expect mostly easy going around this area [Cowra]
    Cheers
    Baza
    Bounty1, GodSilla and BergDonk like this.
  8. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I don't think I've ever seen it full yet though I have seen a bit of water in there before, but since we moved here we have been mostly in drought too. Maybe this La Nina might do it, I'll keep an eye on it. Looks like we got around 8mm last night too.
    Toe - Cutter and Trotski like this.
  9. wiz.au

wiz.au Ceased riding for now.

Oddometer:
    Am I allowed to post here now the Dakar has a new owner and I'm not riding?
    :hide I have a medical cert! :deal

If anyone would oblige, I'm after some info about getting out to the other side of Burrinjuck in a 4WD.
    I recall rumours/confirmation that Mountain Creek Road (or was it Doctors Flat Rd?) was closed now, when new owners decided they were not going to allow public access through their property? :scratch

Final destination is Bungongo S.F. Smoothest, fastest route in a 4WD, but don't mind a little bit of a scramble/creek crossing, if it saves 30mins going around the 'long way' on a good road. Options anyone please? (TIA)

I think these are my options:
    • Mountain Creek Rd to Wee Jasper, then onto Adjungbilly
      • Possible link road through Sawyers Gully to Doctors Flat Rd
    • Doctors Flat Rd then Wee Jasper onto Adjungbilly
    • Brindabella Rd
    Routes.jpg
    GodSilla likes this.
  10. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Doctors Flat is indeed closed to through traffic. Don't bother.
    Sawyers Gully is a nice diversion but often pretty rough surface too, and probably longer in time due to that than mountain Rd.
    Mountain Rd is prolly your best bet. I think it may be all sealed to Wee Jasper now too.
    Brindabella road has that shit bit between Picadilly Circus and the river where it is single lane, other motorists in too-fast fourbys are the biggest danger along there eh..
    hunter_greyghost likes this.
  11. wiz.au

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gods, yeah I think I read somewhere today there's only a tiny bit of good gravel on Mountain Creek, otherwise all sealed.
    We could be doing a bit of low range / scrambling, over 2-3 days after we get there, so spending half a day on crappy tracks just to get there isn't in the plan. And when we're done, we'll prob just want to get home the fastest & easiest way we can.
    GodSilla likes this.
  12. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wiz - there are also a couple of nice scenic options - but they're not fast

You can take Webbs Ridge Rd (access by Gentle Annie off Brind Rd, or by Two Sticks via Powerliens or Dingi Dingi) over to Drs Flat

Or you can take Baldy Ridge (access off Tow Sticks) over to Drs Flat

Both these enter Drs Flat after the locked gate - can then follow Drs Flat through to Wee J etc
    davorallyfan and BergDonk like this.
  13. wiz.au

Oddometer:
    Thanks Hoots. I have ridden & driven all of those a few times. I loved riding DingiDingi on the 650, was one of my favourite tracks. :ricky :(
    I put them together on Basecamp and saw I could link them up the way you say.
    But the plan is simply to get to the forest, complete an activity, and come home in the most efficient way possible.
    The other member of the team has a new born bubby & he probably shouldn't be away from mum & bub for very long, or get stuck in the middle of the bush if we were to have mechanical issues.
    (He has blown 2x engines in his Hilux before, and I blew up my Pathfinder towing him home the first time! :doh
    He's got a Ford Ranger PXII now, and if it breaks down I'm not towing him home with my Jeep! :flip )
  14. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Other option of course is Nottingham (via Brind Rd)

Only adds another 10km or so
    hunter_greyghost likes this.
  15. seancampbell

seancampbell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I noticed a lot of good power line tracks off Brindabella Rd when I was there last on the Africa Twin. I'd like to take the KTM 250 2 stroke down to have a play in the hills.

What's it like around there on an enduro bike?

Sean
  16. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I haven't done those powerline tracks for ages, but they are challenging and pretty hard in spots, you need a decent bike (and tyres) and skill level to negotiate some of the steep or rutted-out or eroded rocky bits. Make sure you are armoured up, especially knee protection. A mate of mine had a week off work from a low-speed trials bike fall on some filthy rocks on one of those trails, no knee guards eh. If it's wet, don't bother basically unless you have a mate (or two is better) with you with recovery ropes. I always carried rescue rope up there, and a decent puncture/tool kit too. You can get properly stuck on the steep clay surface.

If you are fit and up for it, it is good fun eh, but some hard enduro bits. I'm a bit old and lacking endurance m'self (and an ACL in my right knee :muutt), tho' a short bit is always a welcome diversion. Watch out for fuckheads in fourbys too, probably your biggest threat up there. I rode those mountains for 20-odd years and loved every minute. Sadly a lot of the good bits are closed now as "water catchment" since the Cotter Dam wall was raised, don't risk it as cameras are everywhere.

Enjoy.
    BergDonk likes this.
  17. seancampbell

seancampbell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks GodSilla,

I like to do extreme type stuff so that sounds perfect. I'll bring a couple of mates and we'll see what we can find.

Sean
  18. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    brindy enduro track.jpg

The yellow line on the Google Earth pic shows the route of an old Brindabella Enduro section.

I'd describe it as overgrown but it never really was a track - just bits of pink tape along the ridge.

The red bit in and out of the creek is the only really steep bit - and near where a giant pig ate my studded leather gloves.

We did the track uphill from the south in the enduro but if you want to do it downhill watch that you don't go too far south and get caught in steeper sections of the creek.

You did say you liked extreme stuff, Sean - and much of the stuff under the powerlines wouldn't be challenging for small two-strokes.
    bungen likes this.
  19. seancampbell

seancampbell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks Ron.

image_104116.jpg

We have a few power line tracks around here we like to play on but I would really like to explore the hills you have down there.
    Ron50 likes this.
  20. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    goodradigbee shortcuts.JPG
    Here's a few more in the same vein, Sean.

From the top, Webbs Ridge to McIntyres trail, Webbs Ridge to Lowells Flat trail and the western end of the powerlines road to Lowells Flat. The last one crosses a rock shelf and little waterfall before going across the slope and down to Lowells Flat.

If you get to a steep gully close to the river you've gone too far and have to backtrack to head north across the slope to find the rock shelf.

If you can't make out the tracks just stick to the highest point of the ridges until you get to the bottom of the spurs.

Of course, they're all easier down than up but doable up by a decent rider in the dry.

P.S. No need to watch out for fourbies on these tracks!
    GodSilla likes this.