1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

ACT ADV Riders Thread...Discover the ACT and surrounds

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Oz Nutter, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Hoges

Hoges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s incredible stuff, I’m sure things are done much differently these days LOL.

Island Bend at Jindabyne rings a bell, I camped there couple of weeks ago.

C329876B-CDFB-47B1-A6A6-F066D7D8C26C.jpeg CC34C34D-D88B-4FCA-882E-CB1065F09454.jpeg
    OzCr0w, nzdans, Wolf 990 and 5 others like this.
  2. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    One of the things I was working on before retirement, now over 11 years ago, including liaising with the US Navy, was sending robot inspectors that swim, aka ROVs in to do the job. Lots of down time and damage happens as you drain the tunnels and depressurise them. But the rock traps still have to be cleaned out from time to time, which still needs the tunnels drained. OTTOMH only 17% of the tunnels overall are concrete lined, the rest is mostly just the rock as it was left after excavation, or with a bit of shotcrete added.

After walking through a few tunnels to do the inspections, and the limitations it imposed, we decided to set up a couple of diesel Rockys to drive through for comfort, safety, and above all, lighting. The first trip, I'm driving the lead one into the unknown of the Island Bend Geehi tunnel as the water is getting deeper and deeper, I'm sitting in it, and I started wondering what they'd done with the fuel tank breather. The exhaust and air intake and other stuff had all been raised. Moments later I found out, nothing, as it stopped under the main range about 12/13 kms from the entry point at Jindabyne Pumping Station. Interesting times.....
    ferals5, bungen, Toe - Cutter and 4 others like this.
  3. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:
    Mmmm,

Ive got a hair raising story about a mis -adventure , (after night shift smoko beers @ the steyne )in a land cruiser during steep 750 m decent down the outfall tunnel to undersea bed diffusers offshore ..nth head Syd ..during construction.....

Very effing lucky that’s all I’ll say..
    ferals5 and BergDonk like this.
  4. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:
    Any punters been down - up merricumbeme/ mongamula / minuma recently..

juggling the AT or Big Mango...atm
  5. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Beware Merricumbene can vary from steep and family-car smooth after grading through to proper soul-destroying hard enduro. It just depends on when it last got attention and the weather and usage since then.

I fried a clutch on it and my riding partner had to have a week off work with injury, and another inmate took 2 days to get out of that fire trail after it rained on him. That's on lightweight singles with full knobbies. It can be a lot harder than you think.:nod
    ferals5 likes this.
  6. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Merricumbene is apparently still closed - they've opened up east-west access (including the segment of Minuma across to Middle Mt), but not north to Araluen Rd

Don't know about Mongamula
    ferals5 and GodSilla like this.
  7. Kinkysmurf

Kinkysmurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is a dozer doing Oulla and Merricumbene now. It wont be to long before its open. I know the operator. Coondella has been cleaned up already.
    Back of Moruya is home.
    Hoots, BergDonk, Moff52 and 3 others like this.
  8. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:
    Candy from a baby ,,,

commitment with a dose of aggression, air down
  9. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:

We don’t allow the word “hard “on my rides ..

if required, it’s permissible to use
    “challenging”

yes it’s dynamic in it’s track conditions,

but a walk in the park and good fun .. afaic
    OzCr0w, Hoots, Ron50 and 1 other person like this.
  10. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Took a ride today for 7 hours away, around 6 hours on the bike. Tantawangalo Mtn Rd is being graded with lots of loose surface but bugger-all corrugations or potholes, so much better than usual at the moment.
    Then Big jack Mountain road down to New Buildings, then to Wyndham. I had a passable coffee and a really nice hamburger at the Wyndham general store and cafe too, the hamburger was surprisingly good. :dukegirl
    Through Burragate and Towamba, then the Snake Track to Kiah for fuel, and home via Myrtle Mountain on the tarseal, a really nice day out. :ricky
  11. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:

Paradise...

any idea how postmans is atm...?
  12. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    A group I know went through there a few weeks back and had a blast
    Toe - Cutter likes this.
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I won't do Postmans or Cattlemans on my own these days, so no idea. Packers Swamp is easy and clear.
  14. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Tantawalango Ck is usually very soft on the bottom and its easy to get bogged. The rest is straightforward.
  15. waldecker

waldecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did Postman's a few weeks ago, was in great condition; obviously a bulldozer had cleared it only fairly recently after the January fires. The recent storms might have caused a few new obstacles though
    The main crossing at the camp is treacherous but can be avoided on a bike by crossing 50 or so meters downstream.
    Wouldn't try this on a GS however...
    BergDonk, GodSilla and Hoots like this.
  16. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Last time I did it the grader driver had recently been through so it was pretty good, and the grader driver did supercross I was told, so the erosion mounds were really good. I did get a surprise at the camp crossing at how soft the bottom was, it looked knee-deep but the XR sank up to the seat, and took a good bit of throttle to lug through. I'd hate to stall in there, it was cold.
    Dodgy knees, old age, and remoteness mean I'll do it with company but not solo these days. I look at a lot of interesting fire trails and my lizard-brain goes "yeah, that looks great man", but the frontal cortex says "just remember how old and fragile and beaten up you are these days mate". Discretion is now the better part of valour for me.
  17. waldecker

waldecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did a bit of community service today and checked out postman's- tantawangalo Creek is as low as it can get, so the chicken lane is easy as ( btw its more like 5 m downstream from the main crossing, not 50....)
    Our friends in 4wds have been out with the chainsaws, so the rest is in perfect condition even after the weekend's rain.
    I personally would not take a Africa Twin there, but anyone who is confident sending something that heavy over the countless erosion mounts should have no problems.
  18. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:

thank you..

its all relative ..

dynamically the AT feels not unlike a dr650 to me ,, compared to the big jew burner flat twin and the giant mango,

having said that ,, my 625 is the go to jack of all trades ,,, tho its seat height can make tech more challenging,, single disc up front fully loaded can sign off at the worst of times

its all a compromise once you dress em all up with boy scout crap...

unless you only travel with a credit card & cup !
    BergDonk and Hoots like this.
  19. OzCr0w

OzCr0w She'll be right mate!

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, its been a really long time since i logged on here. Changed bikes, jobs and and generally dodged all the civilian pit falls post fires.
    I'm on a T700 thats giving me the grin and taken up MTB riding to improve fitness which is going well as a trade off for being such an appalling rider. I just don't know what to do with my feet yet.
    Hopes your all well and good.
    Still haven't got a proper enduro yet
    Heres my T7 thats doing it proud and loud. Its a bit run in looking now but hey thats why we have them I guess..
    Cheers

IMG_7091.JPG
    ferals5, havafati, GodSilla and 5 others like this.
  20. Fozzy

Fozzy Time poor, bike rich

Oddometer:
    Knee Braces

Update: As suggested I took myself to Team Moto today and tried on a set of Pods knee braces, and glad I did because sizing is a bit of minefield between various models. End result - parted with the necessary amount of cash and came away with a set that fit very well.

My knees are no longer what the once were, which I can blame on too many years of too much loading in the military. I'm now seriously looking at buying a set of knee braces to give the arthritic joints some assistance, and to reduce the risk of further injury should I have an 'off'. I've already got a good set of boots (Sidi Crossfires), so knee protection is the aim. Any recommendations from the brains trust about first hand experience with design, manufacturer, model and why is gratefully appreciated.