ACT ADV Riders Thread...Discover the ACT and surrounds

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Oz Nutter, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Get a container and fill it up with politicians (not Tanya, she's ok) and throw your box in. Set up a Go fund me and you will have no trouble raising the money. Get it over the for nothing and probably have loads of excess cash.
    BergDonk likes this.
  2. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:
    Marketing............

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sidetrack one, BergDonk and Hoots like this.
  3. Bounty1

Bounty1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a funny moment on the commute to work yesterday, minus 2 was the temp and heading down Barry drive, I thought bugger it is cold especially in the leg and butt region, turned out that I had the zips open on the Klim pants as the last time I used them in the morning was on the return from Oodnadatta and it was in the mid 30's.
  4. Idratherberiding

Idratherberiding my KTM 950 Adventure!

Oddometer:
    At least you now know for sure that your ventilation system works.
    There’s been times I’ve come down from the high country to the lowlands and opened up all the vent zips and didn’t think I’d gained any cooling effect!
    :-)
    Bounty1 likes this.
  5. Lurks

Lurks Out There

Oddometer:
    Well this thread has been quiet for a bit, thought I'd contribute with an update to your local conditions;

Generally its no surprise the water is up everywhere spots like Shoalhaven crossings and Angle are mostly not passable (Angle is closed).

East side

Tallaganda- all seems open and good nick. Grader is working rds around Hoskinstown and there's a roller doing the same on the Ballalaba Side. See alot of bikes in this area.

Deua/Bendethra is good, creeks are up a bit...low bikes be warned.

Gourock is good, theres been some work on the tracks and tree clearing roadside thru there. Fresh clay- boggy in the wet/slush.

Araluen- haven't been across to Moruya that way recently but there's a sign saying the landslide is still blocking the Rd.

West Side

That Brindabella Rd is in a bad way. And attracts all kinds of distracted people. All in all a significant hazard around Picadilly area if you ask me. Everything else there is great...albeit white and slick as just now. The Powerlines...well bits are certainly chewed out by the 4bys. The 4bys also seem to love Mt Coree.

Bobeyan Rd- There is a fair bit of roadworks going on at both ends. With the rain and snow it's passable by bike but has certainly seen better days and has some bog holes and real slick bits. They've sort of fixed all the potholes around Brayshaws hut, but it is slick as hell just now.

Long Plain/Tantangara area are good surfaces....aside from the foot of snow as of this arvo.

There's too much fun South to cover.
    And no fun North to cover.... unless someone has a hot tip :D

Don't let a bit of rain or snow discourage you, but plan for a change of plan.
    GodSilla, BergDonk, bungen and 2 others like this.
  6. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a shame this chapter within the ADVR forum has declined - virtually died really

Guess everything has its time in the sun

Ironically, the ADV scene in the ACT is going from strength to strength - but everyone has migrated over to FB - circa 500 members now in the local group - variety of gravel / fire trails / singletrack rides every weekend - ride to Wee J last weekend had over 20 people - I'll be on the bike today - a few hardy souls were up in the Brindies yesterday, in the snow and gales ...

Would be good to see this ADVR chapter build on some of that momentum and come back to life - has a more stable feel than FB
  7. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Agreed Sam. I have avoided facecrack on principle, being an ex-IT type, for 25 years, I understand how they work, so being informed has worked to my own exclusion in reality.
    And adding to @Lurks post, the riding down south never ends. Another rider from the ACT has bought a similar property to mine a couple of blocks away (400 metres), another smart one eh.:-)
    BergDonk likes this.
  8. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Definitely quiet here. My riding time has been more or less nil in recent months, my focus has been on helping my 87 yo old uncle through some challenges like selling his house and buying a new one, handing his licence in, selling the car and buying a scooter etc. Had a bit garage sale yesterday, lots still to do. Still, winter here in Bodalla is milder than Numeralla.....

We did set a house price sale record in Bodalla, first place to sell for over $1m apparently, at $1.3, valued at $800k 12 months ago, real estate is crazy....https://www.benbate.com.au/property?property_id=754667/60-kookaburra-place-bodalla
    bungen, Bounty1, Ron50 and 2 others like this.
  9. Fozzy

Fozzy More confident than I should be...

Oddometer:
    What's your preferred registerable motorbike for local tracks and why?
    With the recent weather reminder that Winter is here, I hought I'd kindle a thread about this topic to (hopefully) learn more and to stimulate some site discussion. My reference to 'tracks' spans unpaved roads to single tracks. The 'why' part of the question is where I'm looking to inform myself before (perhaps) buying a bike lighter than my F800GS for use on day blats around the local region. Particular reference to reliability, parts availability, mods required and ease of service/maintenance would be most useful - while I'm not averse to quality shed time I'd like to avoid something that requires a rocket-science degree to maintain. As you may recall I recently asked for feedback about DR and DR-Z, with the result being that I feel the need to cast a wider net to fully understand (what could be) more appropriate options.
    There's a lot of marketing blurb out there so your first hand experience should greatly help to lift the skirts of spin to see what's really underneath.
    :lurk
    GodSilla likes this.
  10. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Weight. The lack of this aforementioned property is to be at the top of your desirability list.
    Just talking to old mate @ChuckThrillseeker yesterday, he really likes his crf250 rally, but the weight is starting to become a real issue so he is looking to get something lighter.
    What sold me on my current ride is the 106kg dry weight. My twinshock TY250 trials bike weighed 93kg dry so that gives you a reference point , add in 510cc of KTM 4stroke goodness and it is a joy off-road.
    If you aren't huge (read: obese) and you aren't slabbing it everywhere a 350 exc would be perfect, the extra 160 cubes make hwy work easy tho.
    Having been down the GS route myself, I remain convinced that less is more.
    Servicing is dead easy, use a torque wrench though. Oil change is more frequent than say a DR, but once you go orange there's no going back.
  11. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm really enjoying the WRF now

Great ride / swim this morning in Tallaganda ...

20210718_100635.jpg
    GodSilla and Fozzy like this.
  12. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new Honda CRF300L or Rally bear consideration

They're not world-beaters - not a pinch on Tom's 500EXC - but probaby very capable / very dependable / a lot of fun to ride
    Fozzy likes this.
  13. Bounty1

Bounty1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stunning looking property bergdonk
    BergDonk likes this.
  14. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:

ahhem....

im sidelined with elbow bursitis..

can i interest u in a wandy comeback......
  15. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:

sweet jesus...........

the $ is king

berserk prices here in tomerong , on market for 5 mins and gone ,,

sydney money ...
    BergDonk likes this.
  16. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is any part of that area above water at present?
    Toe - Cutter likes this.
  17. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:

yep ,,

all of it ,,

criks running but dry spell, persists..atm.
  18. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Fozzy: the way I see it, you can view the range of bikes in the following categories - all have their good and bad points, and the decision will probably comedown to priorities ...

From lightest (roughly) upward ...

Trials hybrids: the Beta XTrainer is probably the best option in this category - super light, and makes difficult stuff a lot easier - but not set up for riding at any speed

Enduros: the 500-class is the most versatile of these, and actually easier to ride than some of the smaller enduros (able to lug through anything) - the 500EXC / Husky 501 is the standout with its super-wide ratio transmission

Trail bikes: the DRZ and WR250R have ruled this roost for years, but now some new options - the Honda CRF300L/Rally the most obvious one, but worth also looking at the SWMs - the SWM RS500 gets great reviews and excellent value for money - a re-birthed Husky TE511 - solid subframe, and lots of oil capacity - too heavy to be considered a modern enduro but probably a very nice trail bike

Big singles: there's a spectrum here, from heavy touring bikes like the KLR and DR650 through to the high-specced 690/701 - the 690/701 seems to have come of age now, and morphed into an exceptional bike - still has the narrow transmission, but a super-smooth motor, good suspension and electronics, etc - but very expensive

Small twins: the T7 shines out here - also the KTM 390 Adventure - and the 890 variant, although that's probably getting fairly close to your F800GS

The decision is different if this is a second bike - as opposed to a one-bike-for-all-reasons ... and budget obviously a big player

Hard to go past a 500EXC if you can spare the cash - very expensive now

This is the new SWM:

[​IMG]
    Fozzy likes this.
  19. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The SWM500 would be a bargain choice if it didn't have such a shit spread of gears.

< 2.5x 1st to 6th.
    Fozzy likes this.
  20. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fair point, but doesn't seem to be an issue in practice

Reviews like this: https://adbmag.com.au/editorial/mallee-motorcycles-swm-rs500-rally/

And this: https://adbmag.com.au/editorial/trail-test-swm-rs500r/

And this: https://adbmag.com.au/editorial/long-term-update-swm-rs500r-part-9/

This is an interesting comparo from the US - RS500 against the big-dollar usual suspects - they actually liked the RS500 for its ease on open roads

Fozzy likes this.