ACT ADV Riders Thread...Discover the ACT and surrounds

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Oz Nutter, Sep 25, 2010.

1. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    At around $10k plus onroads and 112kg they look like a goodly thing. A reasonably priced bush tractor.

Update. Just watched that vid, it's interesting that they refer multiple times to the SWM having an old-school feel to the motor, that could be a consideration for the OP. I know I had to retrain my throttle hand and adjust my riding style to counter the lightswitch fuel injection response.
    dirty dennis, Fozzy and Hoots like this.
  2. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for those links.

Hard to understand, other than they mention the bike was geared up.. but then no talk of downsides at the other end (slow speed).
    Fozzy and Hoots like this.
  3. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess if the mapping is good, these high-torque 500 class beasts should be able to lug very well

A friend here has a 500EXC that gets used for pretty much everything - he reckons half the time he has no idea what gear he's in as it doesn't really matter ... crawl up a big singletrack hill in 3rd ... then hit 80kph on a fire trail at the other end without changing ...
    Fozzy likes this.
  4. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    TBH I think that stated weight might be a bit of a fiction ...

Shouldn't be too bad, but not a super light bike

There's an Arrow 2-into-1 exhaust that apparently shaves off 5kg and adds 5HP ... perhaps another fiction ...

Anyone keen on these things (I am a bit) should chat with Jobson Motorsport in Nowra - they sell them, but their business also does a lot of dynotuning etc - they reckon they do some remapping that's different, and gets rid of a few issues you read on the web - next shipment due Sept, but SWM are apparently having major supply chain issues with CV19 - small company with no clout - can't get key parts ...
    Fozzy likes this.
  5. Fozzy

Fozzy More confident than I should be...

Oddometer:
    All very helpful input, thanks inmates.
    The 500cc cohort are real wrist-twist weapons that could (are likely to be) far more capable than me, although (like most) I wouldn't knock back a day of riding a couple of them to see if I come away with a big smile or a serious 'pucker' strain and brown jocks. Light weight, good delivery of power and well planted suspension are what I'll be concentrating on...perhaps with a smaller than 500cc engine.
    What's the feedback on the stock plank like seats. Having not ridden a bike with a seat like that they look to be made more for extended time standing on the pegs than giving yourself (what looks like) a wedgie with a long, thin seat.
    :lurk
  6. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I have been pleasantly surprised by the seat on my 2020 500exc. While no couch it is good for 2 or 3 hours before you start to notice it much and tolerable (in relative terms) over a day. My XR in comparison grew teeth after 15 minutes.
    While they go like stink, they are dead easy to just plonk around on too.
    Fozzy and Hoots like this.
  7. Fozzy

Oddometer:
    Not a complaint...merely an observation
    I had a look at another DRZ400E recently and am surprised at the asking price for an 18 year old bike. While it was in good nick I simply couldn't reconcile with the $5,500 asking price, and conversation led me to believe that the owner wouldn't accept an offer of much (if any) less. Scarcity is obviously driving up the price of 2nd hand bikes!
    The hunt continues, with an increasing focus on buying new instead of 2nd hand...and accepting the lead time for delivery.
  8. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think I'd even bother inquiring about an 18yo DRZ ...

Plenty out there in the market - 83 hits on Gumtree and 34 on BikeSales - a lot of those won't be worth looking at, but the market's Ok

If buying secondhand DRZs, need to be aware that there is a speedo replacement spacer (B&B) that a lot /most install - means that the stated mileage is in general irrelevant - look closely at the unavoidable signs of wear - eg from boots
    Fozzy likes this.
  9. Fozzy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, Hoots, especially about the DRZ speedo replacement spacer. I had a look at the 18yo because it was the only one available in the ACT, all of the others require travel to look at (Bathurst, Ulladulla and a heap in no-go Sydney). With the fluid nature of COVID restrictions I'm not too keen to do too much travel until the situation clears up some.
  10. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is tough at present - at least until this acute phase of restrictions passes
    JohnG. and Fozzy like this.
  11. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:
  12. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup, looking at putting knobbies on the vstrom...
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I wondered about buying a nasty race bike myself so I asked the owners in the 500 thread in here, and the response was along the lines of you can plod and plonk around on them all day, they only go hard when you twist the throttle, and 500cc is great for transports and such. I find it really fun to ride. :ricky
    Fozzy likes this.
  14. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    The 500 is the pick as a trail bike. The 450 is an angry race bike that wants to go fast. The 500 is happy doing whatever you want to do.
    The 350 has probably got the best motor of the lot but is a bit revvy at cruising speeds with a shorter lifespan compared to the 500.
    SOHC makes the 500 simple to maintain. Easy to check the shims. Simple sparkplug access.
    By comparison, you might as well do a top end rebuild when you change the plug in a 350!
    GodSilla and Fozzy like this.
  15. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    That aligns with the feedback I got. The 450 and 500 share the same piston and barrell, the 500 has a longer crank throw so it makes better torque everywhere. Much easier to ride.
    Simosez and Fozzy like this.
  16. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Beta 480 should also get a look in here

Fair bit cheaper than the 500/501, but nothing but great feedback from owners

One of the locals has adventurised his 480 - basically just seat / tank / small screen and more sensible tyres - does a great job - the same bike was previously used only in singletrack - shows how versatile the 500 class enduros are:

[​IMG]
    Simosez, GodSilla and Fozzy like this.
  17. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I take it as a good sign when you leave your bike at the suspension tuner, and notice that the bike next to it is Geoff Ballard's
    Fozzy likes this.
  18. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    As long as you don't get the same setup. What works for a pro doesn't necessarily work for us mortals.
    Fozzy likes this.
  19. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, that was definitely GB's concern
    Fozzy and BergDonk like this.
  20. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    @BergDonk, @Toe - Cutter, @GodSilla, others ...

On balance, what are creek / river levels like at present through Buckenbowra, Deua, Belowra and other parts of the south coast?

And trail conditions apropos of rainfall

We're inundated in the ACT area - bogs everywhere - but not sure that the same applies to the coastal ranges?

Looking at a single-day there and back trip through some of the usual roads and trails