Action Camera And Drone Thread

Discussion in 'Photos' started by UnclebudinTX, Nov 14, 2018.

1. UnclebudinTX

UnclebudinTX Half Moose Whiskapalian TEX-LEX

Oddometer:
    Let see if there is enough interest and or conversation about Action cameras and drones that would warrant "it s own" page or "Link" ..

Not really looking for your fav video or fav photo but a link to it would be great ...

looking more for conversations, recommendations, advice on the emerging action camera (think go pro, 10c, ....) and drones with or without cameras.. part of our sport..

I hate reinventing the wheel overtime i run into some thing new and we all know the value of this forum on advice and quick fixes...

I hope this works
  2. UnclebudinTX

Oddometer:
    Ill be first...

My 12 year old son and I are riding a lot or dirt trails and I have a Ghost Drift wifi camera mounted to my helmet.. it has been a lot of fun for both of us, learning about riding dirt. I have also been learning (hard-way) about video editing and turning hours of footage into usable videos.

Here is a link to a recent video i made

By spring i will probably have a camera on his helmet as well as mine and be combining the two to make one video.. ( we will see how works out)

my son is wanting a drone, and i admit it looks like it could fun to add this to our toy box.. price on entry level drones has come down along way but istill dont want to buy some junk that dosnt work so advice on what to get would be awesome.

video editing..... I have been using Windows Movie maker and it is pretty easy to learn but very basic as well.. Im not looking to win an emy for video editing but some more features would be cool.. so i stated using VSDC software and it is for sure and upgrade.

your thoughts and suggestions::::::::::::::
  3. Zebraranger

Zebraranger MotoMore

Oddometer:
    I use a JVC Adixxion action cam mounted on the side of my helmet, video quality is pretty decent, but sound quality leaves a lot to be desired. Mostly distorted wind noise, so I record music over it. I like it though because it points in the correct direction so more aerodynamic, has a LED screen, and its easy operation and waterproof without a housing. Its also 6 years old so its handled some abuse over the 6 years. I also use Windows Movie Maker for editing. Heres what the camera looks like, and a video that I did a couple of weeks ago when a couple of friends and I did a 4 day trip to Black Rock Mountain and Bryson City NC. I ride the Moto Guzzi Griso.
    edt.jpg

UnclebudinTX likes this.
  4. UnclebudinTX

Oddometer:
    I have friend that owns a stelvio and a grizo .. he ride the stelvio the most ,, i really like his griso.. i might even secretly lust after it..lol
  5. Zebraranger

Zebraranger MotoMore

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean. After riding for almost 40 years and just about as many different bikes, the Griso 1200 has been my all time favorite bike as far as fun factor goes. I too have always lusted after one after I saw the Tenni Green version in 2012, but I never really imagined owning a Guzzi. When I found out that they were being discontinued in 2016, I went on the hunt to find a new one. There were only 3 left in the state in Dec 16. So I made the 100 mile drive, test rode it and bought it. Its truly been the perfect roadster for urban riding, comfortable, powerful and agile, I still get that stupid looking grin on my face every time I take it out. The only two issues that it has is that its a heavy bike for what it is, but its high torque motor handles that weight just fine and helps put it in its place. The other issue for me is that when you have two or three bikes in the garage, you always choose the Griso unless your going on a long trip or something like that.
    ruggededge likes this.
  6. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    I use a GoPro 7 and Mavic Pro2.
    I have owned the original GoPro, a GoPro 4 and when the scuba gods claimed it in a kelp bed upgraded to the 7. The 7 is great for mountain bike shots. Can get away without buying a gimbal.
    It has taken me a bit to get used to the drone.
    Getting it operational now is a piece of cake. Bought two cases on Amazon (one for drone and one for RC) which allow stowage with props on and toggles on the RC. Both stow away nicely in tank bag.

Have to keep an eye out for obstacles when picking location and for placement of sun because very easy to lose visual.

Still working on the follow me portion. Live in a urban environment so hesitant to set up and fly... summer when on a BDR for sure.

jasiu and rageabout like this.
  7. jasiu

jasiu Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm using Hero 7 Black, OSMO Pocket, Mavic Pro and Skydio 2 is on order hopefully will be shipped at the end of this month. The video below was recorded last summer at Moto Guzzi rally in Lavigne, Ontario. It was very early in the morning, most people were still sleeping, I didn't want to draw too much attention to the drone in the air. The footage was taken by MP (4K at 30fp) and OP (4K at 60fps). In post editing I didn't do good job down scaling OP footage to 30fps. I always try to record in highest resolution available because when footage is uploaded to YT the magic takes place and final results are not even close to the original. For post-editing I use Adobe Premiere Pro, very powerful program and require steep learning curve. In addition if not used frequently it is easy to forget more advance features. I hope I will have more time when retired and will be able to get involved with PP on more regular basis.
    Aces 6 likes this.
  8. jasiu

Oddometer:
    Very nice MTB trail, fast, technical single track, something I always enjoy the most. Wonder in what resolution you record your footage. You probably need to bump up recording resolution so when uploaded to YT your video preserve picture quality. I bet the original footage is 1000% better, Hero 7 Black and Mavic 2 Pro are able to produce excellent videos.
    I had couple of gimbals and sold them after couple months of use. They are real pain in the rear to set up / calibrate and when on MTB or motorcycle they take a lot of space. When riding motorcycle faster than 60kph gimbals are useless, the wind impact makes them flopping in all direction.
    Aces 6 likes this.
  9. UnclebudinTX

Oddometer:
    i recently purchased this beginner drones , it is alot smaller than i thought,, bought it online ... a christmas gift for my son.. due to it size im thinking it might not like the west texas wind.. my have to practice with it indoors till we get the hang of it.. it was $85 and has a few features ... Im not expecting a whole lot from it.. it a beginner for us.. my son it into RC cars and im into video so myabe we got something here???? 20191116_211959.jpg 20191116_212053.jpg
  10. Aces 6

Oddometer:
    1080 on the GoPro 7. When I go to 4K my laptop doesn't process it (4 years old).
    You are right, on the hard drive crystal clear. I was thinking it was my connection that altered the look/resolution in certain spots but now I know its not.
    Need to play with the 7 a bit more.
    One thing I did notice compared to my Hero 4 Silver is lighting. The 4 did much better in low light situations. Imagine I need to play with setting more....not something I like to hassle with. Rather just ride.
  11. UnclebudinTX

Oddometer:
    Seems like my camera angle (helmet mount) is always wrong , i get the fuel tank or the sky .. and every once in a while it just right.... on the other hand my sons helmet mount is always just right........ cant fiddle with it forever you wont get any ride time in.. someday i will get it right and not mess ith it again ...
    Aces 6 likes this.
  12. jasiu

Oddometer:
    There is a simple remedy :) Install GoPro app on you cell phone, connect camera, place camera in the mount on your helmet, adjust a tilt till you satisfied with the angle and then mark the location with white marker. This is what I did and now placing camera is not issue, geting right all the time :)
    20191118_122929.jpg 20191118_123020.jpg
    Aces 6 likes this.
  13. jasiu

Oddometer:
    It is definitely YT, not your connection. Next time when you upload your footage to YT try to view it right after upload process is completed, then try again 3 - 4 hours later and you will be able to see that quality/resolution improved significantly. This is clearly noticeable when uploading videos recorded in 4K. As far as lighting setup on you H7, keep it in AUTO mode. If you are riding MTB the lighting conditions change frequently and you will not get best results having camera in manual mode.
    Aces 6 likes this.
  14. Aces 6

Oddometer:
    Also for the scuba divers buy the filters for your GoPro.
    I had no clue first time diving with GoPro.
    Second time used filters and the clarity was tons better (depending on what type be mindful of air bubbles - I had to remove my filter after submerging to release the bubbles caught between filter and GoPro lens)....but since lost H4 to the kelp gods have to buy for H7 and they ain't cheap....first world problems...