Action camera with remote for stills?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sparrowhawk, Nov 9, 2021.

1. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use my Gopro Hero9 to take photos from the video clips I am recording. So far it has worked out great as the photos are very good (at least for me :lol3) YMMV
  2. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That may be the best trick since a 4K video still frame is roughly 8MP. That's good enough for an 8X10 print without too much cropping.

Now if you use a 4K computer screen or TV that 4K video still frame will be as good as your monitor. However, if you tend to crop your photos because of GoPro's wide angle lens then you will loose a little in the process.

Copied from Tom's Guide: How Many Megapixels Do You Really Need? - Tom's Guide | Tom's Guide (tomsguide.com)

Here’s how you calculate the number of megapixels you’ll need for a printed photograph: Determine the physical size of your print, such as 4 x 6 inches or 8 x 10 inches. Then, multiply the width by 300, and the height by 300, to give you the pixel count. That’s because 300 ppi — pixels per inch — is recommended for good-quality prints. Therefore, an 8 x 10 inch print would be 2400 x 3000 pixels.

Then, multiply the width in pixels by the height in pixels: For that 8 x 10-inch print, it would be 2400 x 3000, which equals 7.2 million pixels. Divide the result from step 2 by 1 million, and you have the number of megapixels you need to make a good print. In this case, the minimum resolution your camera will need is 7.2 megapixels.

If you tend to crop your photos, look for a camera with about 50 percent to 75 percent more megapixels than the tables below recommend. Chances are that even the cheapest cameras nowadays will have more than enough megapixels.

4X6 = 2.2 MP
    5X7 = 3.2 MP
    8X10 = 7.2 MP
    12X14 = 15.1 MP
    16X20 = 28.8MP
    Arkie in NY and Snake Oiler like this.
  3. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    That may well work for some. I prefer more than those 7MP for a couple of reasons.

I set my camera on tables, posts, or the bike to take pics and those pics often come out tilted. The crop needed to make the horizon level again removes pixels from all 4 edges and can add up fast. Taking pictures while moving means using a wide lens and that leads to even more cropping. I suspect that Tom's Guide was based on spending more time taking the picture. The caveat is that more pixels on the typical small sensor may not lead to better IQ. It's still easier to get a good image out of my 12MP small sensor than my 7MP small sensor.

The number of pixels for a good image will always increase with time. As pixels get smaller on all displays, pictures also get smaller. For my first trip report I scaled almost all photos to 800x600 pixels. That was plenty for both internet speed and device resolution at the time. Internet speed has increased and devices have much higher resolution now. Those 800x600 pics have shrunk a lot. That was a 7 megapixel camera and most of the pictures work at 1200x900. In the future, those images will obviously be from the oughts because of their small pixel count. You may think we have enough pixel density now for any display, but I expect they will continue to get smaller and denser.

All of this depends on what quality of photos you want. I often take pics where any crappy phone camera would work. Other times there's a dramatic scene where I'd like to produce a quality image.

Of course, for all of this, YMMV.
    Sparrowhawk likes this.
  4. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been posting in the "Photos" section lately. Mostly photos from a 21 MP camera. Today I posted a pic from a 7 MP camera. ADV stretches that to display it the whole width of the "content" portion of my post. That's stretching the 7 MP image far beyond what its resolution can support. The original is 3072x2304, but it was taken in low light and shows more noise when viewed at anything over about 1200x900.

Higher resolution, a sensor larger than 6 x 4.5 mm, and a lens faster than f2.8 would help. I can't change those after the fact.
  5. Yuri_Ivanovich

Yuri_Ivanovich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On a recent trip I used GoPro Hero 3 and set it to take photos (12MP) every 10 seconds, on top of the video. It came out nicely. I have no need for more resolution to view photos onscreen.
    turtlespeed likes this.
  6. Sparrowhawk

Oddometer:
    I've been looking into a rather unique camera, the Insta360 Go2.

Insta360 GO 2 – The World’s Smallest Action Camera

I really like the size and mounting options but haven't figured out if it would be the best option for photos. I can see mounting it under a helmet bill and just reaching up with the left hand and pressing the front shutter button for a photo. No waterproof remote or voice activation available.

Here are a couple of YouTube videos that focus on still photography.

How To Edit Insta360 GO 2 Photos! - YouTube

Insta360 GO 2 : How GOOD are the PHOTOS , Real World Samples and Case Study - YouTube

Edit: Here are a couple of written reviews.

Insta360 Go 2 review: A tiny action camera with a great remote | Tom's Guide (tomsguide.com)

Insta360 Go 2 review | TechRadar
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  7. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    If you like the idea of the Insta360 Go2, check out the Insta360 One R... it is designed more for 360 videos, which work REALLY great on a bike, but it will also do stills. You can use your phone as a remote or for even easier use, they make a remote called a Roadie that is designed to strap on a steering wheel - it also straps fine to the left grip on my Vespa and is easy to use. One caution: spend some time with the 360 video and you'll lose interest in stills. (for full disclosure: we owned a photography studio for 30 years, so I am a big believer in the power of a great still image.)

Here's a video shot during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, with a few stills inserted...

Or, a more typical ride video for us...

Arkie in NY and Sparrowhawk like this.
  8. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    I downloaded new firmware for the Insta360 One X2 camera today... might as well take it for a ride to check it out. :-)

While I was mostly shooting 360 video, here are a few stills from the ride...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, the video...

9. Sparrowhawk

Oddometer:
    The 360 camera makes for amazing videos. I'm surprised more people don't use them. I'm glad you dropped in on the discussion.

Quick question, were the stills you posted screen grabs from the video or photographs taken using the camera? I'm no professional but the photos seem to lack detail or crispness. Could be the speed you were travelling or a function of the camera. Compare to those posted by @BeachMoto or @BillGsa they look a little fuzzy.

Does the Insta360 One R capture photos directly (press a button and a photo is taken) or is it all done after the fact in the app? I'll admit to either being lazy or not having any interest in spending time at a computer editing and creating photos. I'm a point and shoot guy that is satisfied with a photo that captures the basic scene and not interested in impressing folks by posting on social media or creating the perfectly composed photograph. How does the Insta360 One R work for some Luddite like me?

By the way, Vespas rock. My wife had a 150 until somebody stole it. What fun riding 60 mph down the highway feeling like I was on an office chair.
    Grinnin likes this.
  10. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    The photos are screen grabs I pulled while working on the video. The One R and One X2 are both capable of shooting a still photo. You can shoot it as a typical still image or shoot it as a 360 photo and decide after the fact what direction you want from it for the output. The still images are crisper than a screen-grab.

For years, I have carried a still camera and just made images as I was rolling. I have also used several different GoPro models - didn't care for how fussy any of those were (Hero 3 Black, Hero 5 Black, Hero 2018), or how you couldn't change the FOV after the fact. The thing the Insta 360 cameras have going for them: just shoot and decide later what view you want. You have to accept the fact that the image will be usable, but not the same quality as any decent traditional camera. Since what I shoot these days is for my own entertainment, I find the trade-off well worth it. If you don't want to edit after the fact, whether still or video, I wouldn't recommend the Insta360 cameras. The Insta360 One R is a modular camera, with modules for 360 video, 4k video (and stills), and a 1" module that gives 5.7k resolution. Again, for the money of that 1" module on a One R, you could buy a decent entry level DSLR.

Having made my living in photography for a good portion of my adult life, I have always been hesitant about recommending a camera. My choices have been to get the right tool for the end result. I spent decades shooting with Hasselblads, and we were early adopters of digital imaging (back when a pro model camera cost significantly more than a Hasselblad and a couple lenses). Now, digital cameras are relatively cheap, so it is easy enough to have several depending on what your needs are.
    Sparrowhawk, Grinnin and ProLeisure like this.
  11. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure about the usefulness of the gopro remote, i've had issues with it in the past and gave up on it. That said, you can take some amazing still pics with a gopro. You can set it up to take time-lapse pics continuously or you can set it up so that when you hit the Quick Capture button where it powers on and can record or take pics within a couple seconds. Or if you want to leave the camera on and hit the button to take pics you can but it will go through the battery a bit faster.

I added the Max lens mod to my gopro 9 and it made a big improvement to get rid of the fisheye affect.
    Sparrowhawk and Grinnin like this.
  12. Fosters

Fosters Loner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use my old Garmin VIRB along with a handlebar mounted remote…
  13. RandomGRK

RandomGRK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Willsfree likes this.
  14. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I'll be testing the new remote and gopro 10 in the next few weeks. I'll try to report back with my thoughts on the setup.
  15. Sparrowhawk

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to it. GoPro says that the 10 will not wake on voice while the 9 will. That might be convenient on a motorcycle. Maybe the 10 can last on standby for extended periods? Let us know your experience.
  16. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Sure. I'm not planning on using voice, I purchased the new remote also for on the bike. I with me talking to myself all the time it could confuse the GoPro. Lol plus when I'm with others on the Cardo I'm sure they wouldn't want to hear the commands.