1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

[Actual] LBS-Sidecars USA | Adventure Sidecar Build Thread #1 | 2013 BMW R1200GSA + URAL

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by LBS-USA, Nov 25, 2020.

1. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know which is more pleasing to the eye

A beautiful redhead laying on silk sheets in negligee begging for my attention or a properly done wire job

That's a tough one
    LBS-USA likes this.
  2. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Post pics of the red head. I’ve seen wiring.
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Right proper wiring work is like right proper welding work. Both can be sexy as hell. However when it comes to crappy wiring & crappy welding, both can make you cringe and bring a tear to your eye. Neither are really that hard to do if you take your time and focus on doing what I call a “Professional” job of it.

Wasn’t there a tread drift around here a while ago that discussed “Good Enough” vs the “Right Way”?
    Bobmws and LBS-USA like this.
  4. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sad to hear about the recently deceased TurTal......
    She said he had his wires crossed.
  5. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah...bummer...and I was just starting to kinda like that asshole

Oh well
    fujinator, Gerg and LBS-USA like this.
  6. LBS-USA

LBS-USA Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm super happy to have the best/finest yacht technician to ever work on my boats helping me build on weekends. Though my electronics training was grounded in US Army missile defense systems, much of what I learned about how to "harden" electrical systems for marine duty came from working with Al (yes, now I have an Al and Ad I work with!).

Details matter. Every wire we run is fully-tinned, fine strand, marine grade from ANCOR. Each termination uses an ANCOR double crimp, fully insulated connector. Where heat-shrink connectors are available, we use those. If not, we apply adhesive-lined heat shrink over the terminal wire funnel. If you look closely, you can see the adhesive sealing ring that softens and ozzes out when heated, selaing the heat shrink to the wire insulation:

20210314_141558.jpg

Al just finished this fused power power distribution/relay module for installation in the trunk of the URAL tub for this build. All of these connectors have adhesive-lined heat shrink insulation sleeves. We now have a heat-shrink tubing printer, every wire is labelled, and of course, so are the relays, using conventional tape Fuse labelling will be applied to the cover:

20210317_111413.jpg

The module comes with a sealed, weather-proof cover:

20210317_111844.jpg

Even the back has weather inserts to prevent water ingress. As you might imagine, it takes hours to build an assembly like this. This is why I charge a flat rate for a build, and do not bill by the hour. Whatever a client wants, we deliver for a fixed/standard fee. The labor flat rate is guaranteed up-front. We don't have to track hours, the client never gets an unpleasant increase on the final invoice, and most important, we can take the time to do it right, no matter how many hours it takes - everyone wins!:

20210317_111449.jpg

Circuits are pre-wired for accessories like our oiled Rosewood dash for the URAL sidecar:

20210317_113310.jpg

If you're looking at an electrical upgrade, or commencing a build yourself, here is the product data right off the box for this fuse/relay module, I order these from Amazon, or you can order direct from the Online LED Store:

20210317_174054.jpg

Attached Files:

7. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eye Candy

20210317_111449.jpg

20210317_111413.jpg

Rakthi and LBS-USA like this.
  8. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Super “jelly” of the heat shrink printed labels. I’ve not seen it before and is an awesome idea.

Thank you for raising the bar in the sidecar industry, it’s long overdue.
    Rakthi and LBS-USA like this.
  9. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    It borders on hubris, I know, but I honestly hope by building better, other builders will be inspired to do the same. A commercially-built sidecar is a huge investment, clients deserve the best. I've been disappointed, time and time again, with problems, shoody workmanship, "bad materials", and constantly being blamed for "abusing your equipment" when I've paid others to build a rig for me, and have been left standed in the field or on tour.

And your unequivocal feedback, comments and sharing what you've learned and know, and that from others in these forums, is a continuing education for me and others as well. So thank you for that!
  10. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Scariest thing I've had to do since the start of this build! Client wanted a "strong, reliable" rig. A leading link was more than he could afford, fortunately, Ad had just finished up a run of our trail reducing lower fork bridges, and included it one the crate with the chassis. The OEM lower fork bridge has internal hydraulic fluid passages. However, we wanted to produce a robust, but affordable trail reducer, and didn't want to inadvertently weaken such a highly-stressed component, so opted to have Goodridge fabricate external lines for us with a custom T-fitting to union the master cylinder line to the twin caliper lines.

As it wasn't included, it wasn't on the packing list. I was so excited about building our first GG+URAL build with our new chassis, I forgot that I needed an external brake line, and dived in, hot and heavy, with assembly.

Of course, this included installing the trail reducer. About a week later, I received a parcel from Holland, containing, you guessed it, a lovely external front brake line, complete with a metric drill bit and tap to create a threaded hole to mount the T-fitting on the trail reducer.

This caused me some anxiety . . . . Yes, I know how to drill and tap a blind threaded hole, but the trail reducer was already installed and torqued to spec. Not enough room between the top of the fork bridge and oil cooler to use a standard drill motor. The $ 1,250 trail reducer is 705 1-T6 aluminum, easier to drill than steel of course, but back of mind, visions of the drilling the hole at the wrong angle (wound up having to remove the tank guards and light bar to have enough space to drill square to the surface of the bridge), the drill bit seizing and snapping off, or breaking the tap gave me pause. Fortunately, I had recently purchased a right-angle drill motor to do some installs on our camper. Makita to the rescue, and mission accomplished!

Needed a conspicuously absent threaded hole to mount this T-fitting on top of the trail reducer:

20210314_132446 1.jpg

Have right-angle drill, will travel!:

20210317_173935.jpg

Managed to make a hole free-handing it:

20210317_173833.jpg

One of the best tool investments I've made, a GearWrench tap and die set, very nice tools!

20210317_175119.jpg

Mission accomplished!:

20210318_141907 1.jpg
    Rakthi, DRONE, Gerg and 7 others like this.
  11. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Praise be! After a 21-day stint, we have a functional rolling chassis!

Front braking system is fully installed.

This weekend, we'll run lines for the sidecar brake, to include installation of a brake proportioning valve to adjust bias between the bike's rear and sidecar's brake calipers, finish installation of the tub's fuse/relay module, and will conduct our first road tests next week!

20210319_r18_04.jpg

20210319_boxer_03.jpg

20210319_r18_02.jpg

20210319_r18_01.jpg
  12. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn that's a sharp looking rig Mike

Awesome job
    LBS-USA likes this.
  13. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    I like the roll bar, is there a seat belt planned for the tub to go along with it?
    LBS-USA likes this.
  14. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Seat belts in sidecars are up to the client. AFAIK, no state requires them, at least not for adult passengers.

This client did not want seat belts. I've always felt it better to not have a passenger strapped/trapped with a belt in the event of an accident, but of course, YMMV. To date, most tubs with a "roll bar" have a decorative "frame", often just bolted to the sheet metal or FPR sides of the tub. Now that we have functional roll bars on our STEPLER and GS+URAL chassis, I'm rethinking the whole seat belt thing in my personal rigs for my wife.

But, I'llalways offer a client the choice, and unless required by law, will abide their decision to forgo them.

If anyone knows for a fact that seatbelts are required in sidecars operated on public highways in the USA, please correct me, I'm happy to be proven wrong.
    TurTal and Strong Bad like this.
  15. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    I have yet to hear of a seat belt requirement by any state. It may have to do with the fact that sidecar rigs are still considered to be motorcycles and seat belts on motorcycles ain't gonna happen!

My personal opinion is that a seat belt could be used with a roll bar, but never use a seat belt without a roll bar. But like everything else we do with these rigs, there are always a bunch of risk management decisions made every time you climb aboard.
    Bobmws, DRONE, LBS-USA and 1 other person like this.
  16. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    The very 1st maneuver me and the little redhead practiced when we got our 1st Ural was how to get UP...OUT and AWAY from that human crushing machine

I understand why folks would think it's wise to use one from a safety standpoint

What they don't fully understand is that for whatever the reason when a sidecar starts to roll it's fast and violent

You do not want to be strapped in for that ride....whether you both jump or get thrown you stand a waaaay better chance of living another day

And yeah....I know exactly wth I'm talkin bout

For us a seatbelt in a sidecar makes about as much sense as a cowboy seatbelted to his horse

LBS-USA and fujinator like this.
  17. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking of electrical Power Distribution....Garmin just couldn't resist and made the most expensive power distribution module yet...

3E4BE213-BA2C-495A-A4CC-1FC176123BED.jpeg
    LBS-USA, DRONE, brstar and 1 other person like this.
  18. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seat belts.
    Would only work with either a roll frame fixed to a sufficiently strong chassis .
    Or a strong enclosed or semi enclosed sidecar body.
    What's next?
    Crumple zones?
    Air bags?
    Not offering a you/we should.
    More a what could be.
    Strong Bad and Bobmws like this.
  19. Ridn3

Ridn3 Lopsidd

Oddometer:
    West Virginia does require seat belts in sidecars. I have never heard of it being enforced.
    Strong Bad and LBS-USA like this.
  20. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Good to know, thanks for the confirmation!