[Actual] LBS-Sidecars USA | Adventure Sidecar Build Thread #1 | 2013 BMW R1200GSA + URAL

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by LBS-USA, Nov 25, 2020.

1. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Last sentence of West Virginia Code § 17C-15-44-(d)--

(d) A person operating a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle or moped shall ride in a seated position facing forward and only upon a permanent operator's seat attached to the vehicle.  No operator may carry any other person nor may any other person ride on the vehicle unless the vehicle is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride behind the operator upon the permanent operator's seat if it is designed for two persons, or upon another seat firmly attached to the vehicle to the rear of the operator's seat and equipped with footrests designed and located for use by the passenger or in a sidecar firmly attached to the vehicle.  No person may ride side saddle on a seat.  An operator may carry as many passengers as there are seats and footrests to accommodate those passengers.  Additional passengers may be carried in a factory-produced sidecar provided that there is one passenger per seat.  Passengers riding in a sidecar shall be restrained by safety belts.
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not surprising that sidecar regulations are all differently screwed up state by state. There are multiple states that still don't require motorcyclists to wear helmets. There are also multiple states that require training courses before getting a motorcycle endorsement as well as a separate sidecar endorsement. The Great State of Kalifornia's Department of Motor Vehicles says a motorcycle endorsement is only required for two wheels and that trikes and sidecars are excluded. At the same time, Kalifornia's vehicle code requires trike and sidecar pilots (and their passengers) to wear helmets. I don't know how anyone could easily keep up with all of the different regulations.
  3. LBS-USA

LBS-USA Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Build is complete! Waiting on a license plate from the owner so that we can test drive the rig and see if any adjustments are required, but other than that, it ready for customer delivery (photos courtesy of Helge Pedersen):

20210323_gs+ural_final_01.jpg

20210323_gs+ural_final_02.jpg

20210323_gs+ural_final_03.jpg

20210323_gs+ural_final_04.jpg

20210323_gs+ural_final_05.jpg

20210323_gs+ural_final_06.jpg
    tvan, davebig, X1Glider and 14 others like this.
  4. dholaday

dholaday Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Way off topic -

Does Helge have a thread somewhere on his Mobec rig? I saw it [the rig] mentioned earlier in one of the LBS threads and saw a single pic on the mobec website

Thanks
    Duncan
    LBS-USA likes this.
  5. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Taking a detour -

Helge just received his custom graphics from Greece for his MOBEC and is applying them today and tomorrow. On Friday, he's bringing it to my shop so I can evaluate the scope of some upgrades he'd like me to do on it. Not sure if we'll have the time this visit to pull the body and get up close and personal with the internals, but I will be doing a full write-up on it here, with photos by the master himself of course . . . .

That is, when I don't have him busy helping with builds!

20210303_151936.jpg
    IB Mike, Bobmws, MGV8 and 7 others like this.
  6. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:

Well played Mikepa that's my idea of what a sensible adv rig should be within what I consider a sensible budget :clap and not hugely overweight, able to use 17" auto tires on the pusher and sidecar.
    Strong Bad, Bobmws and LBS-USA like this.
  7. davebig

Oddometer:
    That didn't take long to go from utilitarian to really nice hardware :-)
    LBS-USA likes this.
  8. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Though I have neither the skills or experience to do other than light fabrication, I've built, or rebuilt, more than a few sidecars over the years for myself and friends. All of them are still on the road, going strong. But like many "firsts" in life, there is a huge personal satisfaction in delivering my first "commercial" build, to a paying client, who I have yet to meet in person. The owner of this LBS GS+URAL outfit, our first, flies in next TUE. I've arranged for him to take three hours of personal one-on-one training and instruction on Wed with WMST (Washington Motorcycle Safety Training) at their Boeing Everett Facility range. On THU, he'll make the 1,600 mile road trip back to MN.

The build was a joint collaboration with Ad Donkers and LBS-Zijspantechniek in Holland, Madina Merzhoyeza, Ilya Khait, Nik, Sam and the crew at URAL IMWA (Irbit MotorWorks of America in Redmond, WA) and Al McNeir.

20210409_154418.jpg

To insure the best possible "unveiling", my friend and paint/body guru Dean Miyauchi came to give the outfit a polish, wax and buff:

20210410_120418.jpg

20210410_122941.jpg

Guess I'll find out in a few days if the client is happy with the work we've done. But no time to dwell on that, we have an R18 build that begins today . . . .

20210409_155023.jpg
    zookster, Jimr80gs, Bobmws and 5 others like this.
  9. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Wow, look at that shine -- mirror finish! Make sure to tell the new owner to only drive it on sunny days and to never, ever go near dirt or gravel! :lol3 Just elbowing you, Mike. Honestly, looks fabulous!
    Jimr80gs, davebig and LBS-USA like this.
  10. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Hah! Indeed! Fortunately (for the paint!) the owner, like many of us, loves the BMW GS, but requested we set-up and tune the rig for highway touring, so hopefully, that sine will last for years! My man Dean knows how to do body work, wax and buffing, fiberglass faring, and paint better than anyone! He did my Stepler, and wait until you see the R18 build coming up next!
    zookster likes this.
  11. davebig

Oddometer:
    MN :ear:ear I'm sure I'm going to have a case of the I wants when I eventually meet the owner everyone in the Midwest eventually ends up in the Mississippi River Valley :-)
    I'll see to it he eventually orders the Leading links :lol3
    Bobmws and LBS-USA like this.
  12. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    You'll see him coming! The fine R12GSA/TwinCam I purchased for him came with about a million candlepower worth of Clearwater lights on it!

This client was frugal, and asked if I could build a rig with the quality and robustness of my "best" builds, but at an entry level price, so a leading link was a couple of grand over his comfort zone, but we did install our aircraft-grade aluminum alloy trail reducing lower fork brace. Rig is suprising easy to steer, and even without a steering damper, rock steady.

Everyone of of the builds I have on order into next year will have leading links!
    Bobmws and zookster like this.
  13. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stunning rig, well done!
    LBS-USA and Bobmws like this.