Ad blocking ADVrider

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by plumer1kt, Nov 3, 2018.

?

On request to disable AdBlock

1. Will you disable?

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Will you support?

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. Will you leave the forum?

19 vote(s)
    67.9%
  4. Other

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In "supporter" and "the plan for Adventure rider" threads ,latest posts are about ads on the forum and the use of AdBlock .
    Some of us don't mind about ads,some do and became supporters and others run AdBlock.
    Also there are supporters who really don't care about seeing ads inside the forum and just want to help because they want.
    But also there are others that don't want or can't support Adv and they don't like ads.
    What's the problem to that?
    You can run Ad Block = end of story!
    NO! some inmates fear that Adv will request to disable AdBlock in order to enter the forum,
    and don't forget that lot of people enters the forum from their smartphone.
    Ads there are pain in the ass there.
    So, what next?
  2. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
  3. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    I run an ad blocker because the best internet service I have available to me is still damn slow. Sites with a lot of ads are just about unusable without the ad blocker. So far, every site I have run across that won't allow me access without turning off the ad blocker gets closed and I don't return. If this forum decides that ad blockers are forbidden, it would limit my participation and probably would eventually cause me to leave depending on how intrusive the ads are.
    Tmaximusv, GlennR, Bodwick and 14 others like this.
  4. uski

uski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope this comment won't be seen as overly negative. I am just trying to provide honest feedback in an attempt to help.

To me, ads are like spam, in general. When I visit this forum, I am here to read quality content written by other members, and I do try to write quality content myself too.
    Serving me ads in return for my contribution seems a bit harsh and disrespectful.

I know hosting does cost money, and managing the forum surely takes a lot of time and I am thankful for that. However it does not mean our contributions and our time must not be respected too.

Today, there are new ways to make money. I see two :
    - Voluntary donations from the forum members (like me)
    - Sponsorships/referrals

Regarding the donations, I did look at the options offered here.
    My first reaction was : What ? $5/month to remove the ads ? What a joke...

Why is this a joke ? Because it is far, far above the average revenue per member.
    It means that essentially, the forum expects people who want to help, to pay significantly more than people who just don't care about the forum. This is backward ! The people who want to help are also the ones who are contributing to the forum. They are the one who are providing content to the forum. In a way, we are the forum. We should pay less, not more, than casual visitors.

I want to help, I am OK to pay to remove the ads, but not more than what the ads are actually bringing as a revenue. I don't want my kindness and willigness to contribute to be taken advantage of.

The other problem with donations is that we are all on several forums, we are all listening to several YouTubers/bloggers/whatever. Everybody wants their $5 a month. Patreon, tipeee, they all want us to go there and send our $5 a month. I am subscribed to more than 50 YouTube channels, and I am active in more than 15 forums. They all deserve something from me, I like them all ! But if they all want $5 a month, sorry, I can't pay that. It's too much in total... and please note that these are people who create content. Not like here where I am the one creating the content...

But the even better way to make money is through partnerships with companies. It's the hardest because they have to be built and maintained.
    I have seen people working at motorcycle garment companies here on this forum, offering discounts to some members.
    Why don't you offer a discount to all members and give a share to the forum ? That's the way to go !

It costs nothing to the members, it brings them value, and it supports the operating costs of the forum and hopefully even more !

I am not inventing this. I managea local community here in Canada of more than 30000 people on Facebook. As you know Facebook has no revenue sharing program. And yet, I do get something for my work, and so do my members. Everybody wins and I don't annoy people with ads. I believe this is the long term solution.

There are other innovative ways to make this work. Create a revenue sharing model where people get a share of the revenue of the forum based on the number of likes they receive. And to enter this program, you have to give a contribution. So say we all give $5 a month, but every month, if we write good content, we have a chance to see some of this $ back. And we know this money goes to the posts we love and some goes to the forum for hosting. There are many things to do but fot g*ds sake not the freaking ads.

Just like many members here, I have a policy where I close websites that block my adblock. Ctrl+W and it's done. Content is everywhere. If a website wants to force me to see ads, I'll find similar content somewhere else. Especially if I'm the one writing the content !!! It's like if I had to pay to work. I believe the ads era is over, because advertisers are going to notice this new trend and will be willing to pay less and less.
  5. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    :augie

https://advrider.com/f/threads/are-...-that-capitalism-is-the-real-problem.1240119/
  6. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got my first popup ad in ADV this morning. I was OK with inline ads (sort of), but popups that block the content I'm trying to read and stay on screen as I scroll will run me off.
    Tmaximusv, panhead_dan, Hatch and 6 others like this.
  7. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    I support because the great information I get from these forums is worth keeping them online. I'm also a self employed business man who knows nothing in the world comes without cost to someone.

Quit being cheap asses and cover your portion of the costs! How many hours a week entertainment does this forum provide? How much does a person waste weekly on usless shit like cigs and coffee? Supporting this community is like pennies per hour!
  8. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How many hours on the keyboard to provide your knowledge to others?
    And not only for inmates.Here you share your knowledge with the hole planet.
    Mods or solutions to problems means that you spend time if you like to pass that knowledge.
    Taking photos , writing and in some cases drawing.
    And you do that on weekends...or late nights.Not in the bar/pub/restaurant or riding your bike.
    the forum is not only entertainment...the main page IS.
    Switchblade315 likes this.
  9. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the online vendors has said they figure time spent providing online information is worth $1 a minute. The site owes me a shit ton of money for my contributions. I’ll take that in ad free viewing please. :dirtdog
    Switchblade315, uski and Zoef zoef like this.
  10. uski

uski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are definitely not going to convince people by insulting them :)
    Quite the opposite actually

We all have only 24H per day.
    When I share knowledge and experience, I have to choose where I do it.

I could do it on YouTube and hopefully get some money out of it through advertising. Worst case, I get nothing.
    Or I can do it here and get nothing for sure.

So at the very least, it would be nice if, as a contributor that create content, I'm not served ads.

It's not being a cheap ass, it's just not having to pay to work.
    panhead_dan, enduro0125 and ER70S-2 like this.
  11. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't see it as paying to work.....

What I do see is someone who put forth the time, effort, and expense of both creating and maintaining a site for us to share our thoughts, experiences, and tech. I have no problem with kicking in a few $$$ to help cover those costs OR if a person chooses to do so, be subjected to the sponsor's ads. This site has spared me a lot of frustration at times by a simple search to find someone who already shared the solution. I'm sure that like many of us who turned our hobby into a business, the owner is hopefully generating some income by now. Is this greedy? I don't think so.

For me it works out to $0.22 per hour of entertainment/information if I were to pay monthly, but I chose to do the annual which included a tshirt and hat.......Brings the actual realized cost to much less.

You too could create your own site and maybe get the rest of the cheap ass whiners to move over there as I have seen in the past, but you risk just diluting down the information resource by spreading out the location of the info. Of course this will cost you much more than the $5 mo.
  12. GS Jihad

GS Jihad p·r·o·p·h·e·t Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow. I really thought the line would be drawn at pop ups. I haven't seen them yet. I plan on becoming a supporter as soon as I can pull my wallet out but if I see a pop up I'll really feel the community here has been let down.
    Tmaximusv likes this.
  13. GS Jihad

GS Jihad p·r·o·p·h·e·t Supporter

Oddometer:
    No doubt some people here are just cheap and don't understand that nothing comes free. However, the question for many is indeed, are we covering costs??? (something many here did help do for years).... or are we engaged in a for profit enterprise and if so to what real degree. I think this is the fair question being asked and deserves a fair and honest answer.
    uski and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  14. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I pay pal-ed donations before. That was personal and private.

I get the pop ups on my phone now, it eats data. I do not like that. At all.

I like supporting with dollars but I do not want any supporter banner.
    Gimme a way to omit that and I'll chip in.
    uski likes this.
  15. Sl0rider

Sl0rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I reported the pop-ups on a different thread, and Rudy was quick to get back saying that he hates pop-ups too, and will get rid of them.
    ER70S-2, GS Jihad and uski like this.
  16. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    I would probably be happy to pay to be a supporter, but I disagree with the policy of displaying who is paying and who is not, so I use an ad blocker.
  17. imnothng

imnothng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You mean like this one? I have zero issues with banner ads, but this one really pissed me off to the point of closing the site and going somewhere else.

Very intrusive ad.PNG
    panhead_dan and troidus like this.
  18. Sl0rider

Sl0rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's the type of pop-up that I saw (different ad though), and incredibly annoying. Glad that @rudy1220 sees things the same way, and since I reported it I haven't seen anything like it again.
    imnothng and uski like this.
  19. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    The inline ads are tolerable to me. What's annoying is the page redraws as the ads appear. I go to click on a link and the page moves and I click something else. That's probably because there's a DIV somewhere that's not being reserved for the ad.
    Andrew, grogger and LuciferMutt like this.
  20. 51%

51% ReadyToRide

Oddometer:
    I view it as natural selection in the internet age. If a forum feeds a lot of bandwidth devouring non value added page litter, and resists my ability to limit that wasteful exercise, then a natural consequence is going to be I'll spend less time there; for example only if a large screen and a broadband connection is at hand. Browsing from a phone on 3G won't happen.

I'm OK with that. I don't accept limitations on managing my end of the pipeline, and I'll make no demands of content hosts that they do it my way. We all have choices.
    uski likes this.