Ad blocking ADVrider

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by plumer1kt, Nov 3, 2018.

?

On request to disable AdBlock

1. Will you disable?

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. Will you support?

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. Will you leave the forum?

29 vote(s)
    61.7%
  4. Other

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This morning, Monday, @rudy said the site would figure out how to remove the popup ads. They're execrable...
    ferals5 and Blue Mule like this.
  2. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had one hijack the browser session and yank me out of ADV a couple of nights ago. I had to kill the browser to escape. That's counterproductive.
    panhead_dan, Hatch, MUDHWY and 2 others like this.
  3. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I signed up for two smugmug accounts as a way to help pay for ADV. Now that there's nothing linking them, I have to decide what to do next.
    twinrider, Tork, Blue Mule and 2 others like this.
  4. GS Jihad

GS Jihad p·r·o·p·h·e·t Supporter

Oddometer:
    After looking into all the various questions I had and getting some feedback here and there I ponied up for the annual support. I do feel, and always have felt, that such a system would be worth it. I am still a little in the dark on what is going on in the front page section etc but meh, what-ya-gonna do........
  5. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also used SmugMug because it was tied to ADVrider, for the same reason. My entire internet history is linked to SM photos, I can’t just dump them. :(
    imnothng likes this.
  6. 996DL

996DL Buell me

Oddometer:
    advrider now reminds me of the crash.net website :fpalm

Bike rich / dirt poor inmate.

996DL
  7. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Smell The Glove

Oddometer:
    panhead_dan likes this.
  8. Bike2Hike

Bike2Hike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got hooked on ADVRider many years ago and also joined SmugMug to support Baldy. I don't sell photos off of SmugMug or use many of their advanced features so I bought in at $60/year. Last year it went up to $71.88 and will need to be renewed soon. Now I have a choice.

1. Drop my SmugMug account and save a few bucks by supporting ADVRider at their annual rate. I suspect all my photos in my ride report will disappear if I do that, but I hate the ads enough to let my contributions to this forum disappear.

2. Pay roughly $130 per year to enjoy this place the way I always have. Being retired I no longer have the luxury of throwing that kind of money around.

3. Sell my computers and smart phones and ride off into the sunset....
    Tork likes this.
  9. jhat

jhat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What about the idea of a much lower subscription amount, say $12 annually? The idea being that if the amount is small enough many more people might subscribe and net more than if the price was higher and much fewer people subscribe.
    996DL and GlennR like this.
  10. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tork, =o&o> and panhead_dan like this.
  11. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Smell The Glove

Oddometer:
    Yabbut... Not available on Chrome mobile. :fitz
  12. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    I'm in a similar boat as mentioned above: I'm on a fixed income and paid for features I don't use with Smugmug as a way to help support ADV. Now if I have to pay for ADV too? One or the other but not both please.
    Tork likes this.
  13. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can always use Dolphin.
    Has the ad block and can be synced with chrome with the use of the Dolphin extension (bookmarks,tabs etc.)
    MUDHWY and ER70S-2 like this.
  14. uski

uski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a major, major issue with the Internetz today. People post their content on third party image hosting websites that either disappear or delete the photos someday. Then we are all caught with forums with half-useless posts ("ok I fixed it, look at the picture : [no picture]", "okay I finally disassembled it, here's the picture you're all waiting for : [cat picture "sorry this image has been deleted"]").

The other issue is forums disappearing with no prior notice and no way to save the content elsewhere. I bought a BMW S1000XR and regularly when I do a Google search I see a link to s1000xrforum.com ... which no longer exists. All the thousands of hours the members spent creating content, are all wasted ! What a WASTE ! It pisses me off. When you create a forum, you have the responsibility to keep the content people created on it. I see the disappearance of forums like this as an insult to their former members.

I'm not blaming anyone in particular, sh*t happens and maybe the owner of this forum could not take care of it anymore and took no provision to secure it. But in general, this type of situation is a shame.

It's not a surprise if many people choose to contribute only on major platforms. They are a bit more durable. YouTube has videos which are 10+ years old, all the content in these videos, the descriptions, the comments, everything is still there. Not like these b*stards at Photobucket who instantly made millions of forum posts useless because they realized years down the road that their business model was not good enough. Come on !

In 100 years, I wouldn't be surprised we'd be called the "forgotten generation". Instead of writing books, we publish content on websites that come and go, we post pictures on services that we decide not to renew. We are all deleting our legacy by doing so.

There should be a government-sponsored initiative where, when a forum dies, its content would be salvaged there for the eternity. Maybe with lower quality pictures (a lot of people don't know how to compress their images and we end up with 2.5MB jpeg files to show a M6 nut), maybe with other constraints, but please stop letting our legacy disappear.

@Bike2Hike, please, please, if you delete your SmugSmug account, backup the pictures. You have no idea how many people will enjoy them for the years to come. I regularly read forum posts more than 10 years old and they still provide a lot of value. If you have the time, upload them on the forum directly so they stay with their associated content (your ride reports).
    =o&o>, GlennR and ER70S-2 like this.
  15. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:

It is already being referred to as the Digital Dark Age, to include the (guaranteed) degradation of electronically stored data.
    =o&o> and uski like this.
  16. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat in regards to Smuggy. My account there was my way to help with the costs here, plus the odd donation.

I think it's time to pull all photos back and cease paying for something that doesn't have the value for me anymore.

Since it was decided that they would generate revenue from my content via ads, then that's the business model we go with.
    Tork, uski and Bodwick like this.
  17. Bike2Hike

Bike2Hike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quote: @Bike2Hike[/USER], please, please, if you delete your SmugSmug account, backup the pictures. You have no idea how many people will enjoy them for the years to come. I regularly read forum posts more than 10 years old and they still provide a lot of value. If you have the time, upload them on the forum directly so they stay with their associated content (your ride reports).

uski, I agree with your comments, but certainly never thought of any of this when I started using this forum. All of my photos are backed up before loading them into SmugMug so I won't lose anything except the ability for friends and family to access them. Flickr was one option I looked at to replace SM but now that it is also owned by SM I see that they are doing the same money making scheme to Flickr that they are with ADVRider. Quite a few of my SmugMug images have been printed in 12" x 18" sizes and are hanging on my walls. Apparently SM doesn't get enough kickback from the companies that make the prints, and all the other stuff that people buy using their images. One would think there are enough revenue streams to keep these companies in business with out the need for the ads.

There are still some alternatives that I will research before making a final decision.
    uski likes this.
  18. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Smell The Glove

Oddometer:
    FireFox also works.
    plumer1kt likes this.
  19. XtreemLEE

XtreemLEE insignificant being...

Oddometer:
    Same=same

9640C3D6-F07A-4A70-A691-CC4C642E5742.jpeg

It’s the users who provide free content, without content this site is nothing...

Fuck it bucket...
    ozmoses likes this.
  20. XtreemLEE

XtreemLEE insignificant being...

Oddometer:
    Same here, times are great for the 20% I couldn’t justify fiver a month when I’m providing the content...
    Tork likes this.