AdamChandler's "Big Cheez" 2020 Husqvarna 701 Enduro LR Build Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by AdamChandler, Mar 7, 2021.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone and welcome to another installment of one of my infamous build threads. You may know me from such threads as:
    [​IMG]

I like to start with some ground-rules if you don't mind?
    • This is my build thread, participate here at your own risk because while we may be on topic sometimes, I can't make any promises so long as at least one post per page is related to the build and actually, now that I think about it, if we go TOO off topic, mods will surely start removing posts so how about some ground rules?
    • Posts should be related to the build of my bike
    • Criticisms of how I build out the bike should be constructive (basically follow site-rules) and if you don't like it, go build your own bike the way you want
    • I may reply to you with a GIF, Meme, JPEG or MPEG file that is satirical in nature or just fun but it's just me being me and these will be funny to me and not you again, it's my build thread.
    • To people who are new here or are just finding this thread, well sorry turn back now, do not proceed! You have been warned!
    • Finally, I'm not very active on 'thumpers' so I look forward to learning a lot.
    ---------

Why did I purchase a Husqvarna 701 Enduro Long Range?

I'm glad you asked! My stable in 2020 was a K75 RT converted to a cafe racer, an R1200 GS Adventure which I treated like a dirt bike and toured on, a Beta 500 RR-S and Heather's F750GS which I sometimes ride to keep the oil flowing. I sold the Beta 500 RS. Why? Two primary reasons, I was too big for it and could never feel comfortable on it despite trying everything to improve on that and the maintenance intervals were too low for something like the Trans-America Trail. If I had more space, I would have kept it, made it lighter and did more trail riding but I can only have 4 bikes at a time with my space so it had to go.

The 690/701 platform has a lot going for it. It's a single so you have lighter weight than a twin like the 890/T7, it is more dirt bike & dual sport than adventure bike yet with the ability to actually carry gear so you have 790/890 load on a light single cylinder. I would never call this an enduro but it looks the part and with my size, can go anywhere I would want to go. I also never rode my beta like an enduro either.

Why the LR? Well, for starters I have an affinity for 'rare' the fact that there are only a couple hundred of these globally was very appealing. This could later down the road bite me in the butt when parts are hard to find but we'll cross that bridge later. I add larger fuel tanks to every bike I own. My beta had 4 gallons on-board and my GSA has 8 so the ability to get 300 miles range on this is fantastic. Also, given the occasional issue with KTM's fuel pump system, having 2 on board is a nice bit of confidence for extended back country travel.

In short:
    • Half the weight of my GSA
    • More storage than my Beta
    • Wider seat than my Beta
    • Extended Range with a 2 year factory warranty without having to source an aftermarket tank
    • The most 'dirt bike' adventure motorcycle on the market
    --------
    What did I pay for the bike?

The LR is a tough bike to track down. Deposits were down a year ago, bikes started arriving to USA dealerships in August of 2020 and by November, there were 30 or so left on show-room floors (using CycleTrader search) nationally. I saw that number dwindle down to around 25 by January which is when I figured, if I wait until spring, they won't be around anymore. I then heard Husqvarna cancelled the LR for 2021 and even went as far as pulling the LR kit so 701 enduro customers can't even buy the kit anymore if they want.

Most of these bikes were not marked up and I purchased the one that was closest to me at Edelman Sales in Troy New York which for me, was a 3 hour drive each way. The second LR closest to me was down in New Jersey, 6 hours away.

MSRP was $12,499. I paid that $5 to the state of New York for a tire fee. This is the only costs I had. No tax as I live in New Hampshire, no dealer fees, plate fees, etc. I gave them a check for $12,499 + $5 and drove it home.

I think I paid less than anyone else in the country for an LR. The MSRP is only $500 over a base 701 Enduro R which is cheaper than $2500 Husqvarna was charging for the LR Kit separately.

--------
    How is this build thread organized?

Each post will have a similar format where I link to the part, how much I paid and I'll share photos, my thoughts & a video. This allows people to basically go to post #3 not this thread and jump to an individual modification without having to read through a dozen pages.
    • Post 1 - Intro
    • Post 2 - Delivery
    • Post 3 - List of modifications with links to each post where mods are detailed
    • Post 4 - Vendor posts in the thread
    • Post 5- She's done!
    Farkles are organized into categories:
    • Protection
    • Comfort/Ergonomics
    • Electronics
    • Storage
    • Performance
    • Rally Kit
    --------
    Question from the peanut gallery, "What's your goal for this build? It just seems like you're just dumping a lot of money in without much direction"

GREAT POINT! That's pretty much just how I roll. But, I will say I will always use high-quality brand name parts, I prefer American companies or small startups where the owner and a small team are really involved and are super customer-centric. I've had amazing interactions with the team from Perun Moto, Vanasche, Renazco Seats and Solid Performance. I want a light weight adventure bike that can go anywhere with comfort, electronic wizardry and better than OEM capabilities while still being incredibly reliable so not skimping out on something that may fail and if it does, I'll talk about that failure here and what happened and send feedback to the manufacturer in hopes that the issue leads to a fix if necessary.

I want a bike I can live off for 2 weeks off-road and keep my devices charged up, get me far away without a gas station, be relatively easy to maintain and not feel like 'roughing it' when I go out on the road. I don't expect the LR to compete with the GSA but I expect it to be about 2x the comfort & livability than my Beta was which for me was an overnight bike at best. There are people touring on WR250s and Betas but I need a bit more comfort so I think the LR will suit those needs.
    --------
    Build Thread Cost:

Here's the rough estimate by category in USD and these prices are all MSRP so if I get a discount or sponsorship, obviously it'll be less: *Updated Totals on 3/11/2021*
    [​IMG]

--------
    Last minute Housekeeping:

Before we dive in, there are places you can stalk me before this thread is updated:
    Technology Used to Log modifications:
    The content on this report is primarily shot on iPhone 11 Pro with a DJI OSMO Gimbal as my primary video camera these days. I've sold all of my other cameras that shoot video. Helmet camera / on-Bike videos are shot with the GoPro Hero 9 with a Microphone Adapter And Shure Lavalier microphone. Still images are shot with the Canon 5D Mark IV generally with my 24-70 f/2.8 lens. I edit in Adobe Lightroom and Final Cut Pro on the iMac.

...and last but not least, I'm so happy to have an outlet to talk about the bike. I should have had a build thread for last year's bike but it was going to be so scattered and un-focused. This is going to be a ton of fun. Thank you all for following along.
    [​IMG]
    Manny U, Perun, Rsquared and 8 others like this.
  2. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    On the 6th of March, after officially purchasing the bike on January 13th, I finally took delivery. I actually asked the dealer when I took delivery when my warranty kicked in and he said it kicked in when they performed the bike's PDI (pre-delivery inspection) which took place on March 5th so my 2-year, 24,000 mile warranty starts March 5th. That was nice of them because they could have done the inspection when they received my payment.

I drove from Central/North New Hampshire to Troy, NY with the Kendon Stand-up Trailer attached. It was actually a rough day because we keep Heather's sportwagen in storage in the winter and my trailer was stored at my Beta dealer in White hall New York. So we went to her parent's house and spent an hour digging her car out to an ice hill. We ended up having to tow it out of the ice. Then I got to my beta dealer and was so thankful that he dug my trailer out that morning. It would have been another hour of digging.

I rolled into Edelman and received my paperwork and they rolled the bike out to me:
    [​IMG]

Here are some photos on delivery day:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I always take a lot of photos because I know it'll look way different when done.
  3. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Links directly to posts where I install the modification with photos and a video (Last Updated, 5/10/2021)
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Links to everything going on the bike. Some things are already ordered/installed and other things are on-hold until as far as 12 months from now since I only do modifications in the Winter time, once Summer hits, I'm done with modifications (Last Updated, 5/10/2021)

Organized by:
    • Item | Manufacturer/Item | Vendor | Price | Link
    PERFORMANCE: Defined as things that improve the bike for any rider at any skill level
    Ordered:
    • Rottweiler Fuel Dongle | $49.90 w/ Bung | Link
    • Clutch | Rekluse RadiusX Auto Clutch | RVAutoParts | $597 | Link
    • Clutch Slave | Rekluse | Free, comes with clutch
    • Silencer | Wings H701-2020 | $456 | Link
    • Intake | Rade Garage | $349 | Link
    • SAS/Canister Delete | Rottweiler | $60 | Link
    • Pro Shift Kit | Rottweiler Ceramic Coated | $139 | Link
    • Steering Damper | Scott's by Vanasche Steering Stabilizer Submount +15mm | $579 | Link
    • Suspension | WP 6500 Pro Cartridge + Larger Springs + X-Trig Preload + Valving | $2236.78 | Link
    • Rally Raid | Oil Pressure Hose RRP 294 | $60 | Link
    On Hold:
    • Header | Arrow | $399 | Link
    • Tune | Power Commander V + Tune | $456 | Link
    Rally Bits: These are things that will make the bike the sexiest 701 at Starbucks!
    Ordered:
    • Tail Tidy | Rottweiler | $219 | Link
    • LED Headlight | MotoMinded XL Epic Kit | $487.99 | Link
    • Front Turn Signals | Cyclops Plug & Play | $70 | Link
    • RMS Universal Navigation Clamps | $120 | Link
    On Hold:
    • Rally Kit | Aurora LR Kit | $2399 | Link
    • Stickers | Kutvek | $179 | Link
    Storage: Things I need to keep stuff on my bike when traveling
    Ordered:
    • Subframe Reinforcement Bolts | Perun Moto | $69 | Link
    • Tank Bag | Giant Loop Fandango | $260 | Link
    • Luggage Plate | Perun Moto | $129+$59 | Link, Link 2
    • Panniers | Mosko Moto Reckless 80 | $745 | Link
    Comfort & Ergos: These are the things that fit me on the bike and make me comfy
    Ordered:
    • Seat | Renazco Custom Suede Seat with foam for my weight | $450 | Link
    • Heated Grips | KTM OEM | $189 | Link
    • Pegs | IMS Products Rally | $209 | Link
    • Shifter | Hammerhead size 13 | $84 | Link
    • Brake Lever (Rear) | Vanasche #2 | $188 | Link 1, Link 2
    • Brake / Clutch Lever | KYN Amazon China | $29 | Link (DOESN'T FIT, DON'T BUY)
    • Brake / Clutch Lever | ASV | $90 Each | Link 1, Link 2
    • Fuel Cap | Vanasche Billet x 2 | $149x2 | Link
    • Mirrors | Doubletake Enduro | $84 | Link
    • Windscreen | Puig | $103 | Link
    Protection: Things that keep the bike safe from damage & add unnecessary weight
    Ordered:
    • Hand Guards KTM OEM | $104 | Link
    • Clutch Case | Tekmo | $106 | Link
    • Engine Case | Tekmo | $94 | Link
    • Skid Plate | Vanasche | $199 | Link
    • Rear Brake Rotor Vanasche | $159 | Link
    • Heel Guard | Perun Moto | $49 | Link
    • Radiator Guard | RadGuard.au | $109 | Link
    • Header Guard | Husqvarna | $150 | Link
    • Case Saver | Vanasche | $99 | Link
    • Rear ABS Guard | Nomad | $33 | Link
    • Front ABS guard | Nomad | $39 | Link
    • Side Stand Extension | Vanasche | $49 | Link
    • Clutch Reservoir Cover | Husqvarna | $26 | Link
    • Brake Reservoir Cover (Front)| Husqvarna | $33 | Link
    • Brake Reservoir Cover (Rear) | Husqvarna | $28 | Link
    On Hold:
    • Front Brake Rotor | Topar | $104 | Link
    • Chain Guide | TM Design Works | $98 | Link
    • Swingarm Guard | Bulletproof | $75 | Link
    Electronics: Things that steal power from the bike that eventually wear out and get old and are upgraded more than anything else on the bike and are most likely to break
    Ordered:
    • GPS | Garmin Zumo XT | $499 | Link
    • iPhone Mount | Hondo Garage Juiced Squeeze | $194 | Link
    • Power Module | Eastern Beaver Power Center 8 | $121 | Link
    • ABS Dongle | KTM | $114 | Link
    • GPS Mount | Stout Mount from Moto Minded | $111 | Link
    • Antigravity ATZ-10-RS Lithium Ion Battery | $180 | Link
    • KTM USB Plug | $49 | Link
    • Antigravity ATZ-10-RS | $180 | Link
    On Hold:
    • Tach/Computer | TrailTech Voyager Pro | $600 | Link
    • Cruise Control | MCCruise | $595 | Link
    • TPMS | Cyclops | $129 | Link
    • SideStand Dongle | KTM | $89 | Link
    Manny U and XLEnduroMan like this.
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    This spot is reserved for when the bike's build is done with photos & video to be included. Now, that may end up being 'phase 1' is done as I plan on holding off on the rally kit for 2021's riding season and adding that next Winter but this will be finalized before riding season starts with some photos here.
  6. Yeti2ride

Yeti2ride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  7. sharpie1

sharpie1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking at your build sheet, I noticed you ordered an Oberon clutch slave. The Rekluse you ordered comes with a clutch slave and must be used to adjust the Rekluse...
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  9. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    In for more. I figure this will be my next bike. Wait a few years and buy one totally farkled up from someone who’s gotten bored with it, lol
    m931a2, AdamChandler and sharpie1 like this.
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Great catch! I originally ordered the Oberon but I then decided to purchase a Rekluse instead so I plan on listing the Oberon on the flea market at some point.
    sharpie1 likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Spent basically 2 full days working on the bike now. I'll start posting modification photos & videos in a few days but I won't be working on the bike this week because I have to send my suspension off for tuning and the bike..well it's a little unstable at the moment so I'm not going to touch it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should have these back in about a week and I'll then be continuing with the build.

So far, these things were done but will each have their own post in a day or two:

• Rade Garage Air Box
    • Rear brake rotor shark fin
    • Rottweiler SAS Delete
    • Husky Blue Bling (reservoirs)
    • Heel Guards
    • Side stand enlarger
    • Rad Guard

When the suspension comes back, I'll resume the build.
  12. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    congrats and enjoy building the bike to your needs....and wants!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    You can properly grease the head bearings since you have it apart?
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I'll do that. Is that a common first service thing people should do?
    barnyard and roookie1 like this.
  15. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    The spreadsheet with the breakdown of all the parts and cost is a killer. I don't want to know how much I spend on my bike and gear because, well, it would be that much harder to click "purchase" the next week you found something you can't live without... and I definitely don't want my wife to know ... lol.

Awesome build and bike!
  16. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought my 18 almost new and the previous owner had put about 3.5k into it. My vow was to ride it and find out what I needed first. I did start a list before I picked it up based on forum 'needs'. I ended up selling off some of the parts to put on others. I went back and checked my list and it was not really close in retrospect. The absolute first thing, no brainer, is a Seat Concepts saddle for me. I guess I like the incremental approach and its gets really muddy trying to sneak stuff past the better half and not have the neighbors watching a new Fed Ex distribution center in front of the house every day....

I shall be watching vicariously.
    Manny U, GeorgeD, Bitingdog and 2 others like this.
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I think I've learned to not buy a bike until I know I can also buy some of the things I want on it. So Heather knew I wanted a middle-weight bike about 2 years ago (1 year after I purchased the Beta) and so when I went to buy it, first thing she asked "let's see your spreadsheet" which I had already started to build up in December "sounds about right" she said :p

This is the strategy most people should employ. The problem is, I'm very haphazard and generally, I'll spend all summer adding stuff to a bike instead of riding it. I'll go out then go home and buy one more thing and so I've learned to just give in to my impulse and do it all at once. The good thing is like the bike is all apart right now so I have full and easy access to the SAS delete, air box replacement, rear shock removal, exhaust replacement. I'll do the Pro Shift Kit at the same time as the Rekluse and when I do the Rekluse, I'll replace the shifter and it just all sort grows.

There's only really 3 things I'm not doing to the bike at this time because it's so new.
    1. MCCruise which is an ECU / fly by wire box that can only really be installed with the bike taken apart
    2. Power Commander V
    3. Exhaust header

With the bike so new, I'm just doing air box & Muffler at this time. While I could do a tune and do the cruise control, I'm just concerned about doing mods that impact throttle & fueling so early in the motor's life even though when I add these a year from now, it will require taking the bike back down to frame & motor again.

One thing I do tell people when it comes to my mods, I'm a size 13 shoe and 250 pounds so footpegs, shifters, controls, seat and suspension along with risers are just my standard procedure on every new bike so I don't feel cramped.

This is me on my big GSA with a tall seat and raised suspension:
    [​IMG]

..and the K75 with raised suspension & 2" of foam added to the stock seat:
    [​IMG]

Regarding seat Concepts, the LR is so limited production that they're only selling a foam + cover kit, no tall / deluxe options and no color choices.

So I have Renazco doing a seat that is semi-color matched to the Long Range & making it taller.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  18. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:
    I beg forgiveness. In Southern Cal there are two seasons- desert and mountains- with a bunch of overlap.
    Eresia and AdamChandler like this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Oh crap, Didn't notice your location!!! HA

Yeah, first snow here, early October, Last snow, early May. There's salt on the road from October - May and it SUCKS.

HEre's a video my buddy shot of us trail riding in April and this is not unusual. Usually in May, we can get out there but a lot of public roads are closed until June because riding on them in May will cause ruts and permanent damage to the roads. So we get June - September if you have the right riding gear. :p
    Bitingdog and russ4ru like this.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    More likely most bikes are under greased from the factory. I'd check swingarm and linkages too, just so you know it's done right. I've made it my standard procedure on any new bike to me. Some bearings are good, most are light on grease.
    AdamChandler likes this.