AdamChandler's "Felicity" 1995 K75RT Build Thread

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by AdamChandler, Mar 7, 2019.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I have an air compressor I could use. It didn't seem like the grips are stuck to the heated element just really on there after 25 years. I don't want to run the bike w/o heat so if I break the heat part, I'll just have to pay out of pocket to replace it.
  2. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have always used the air compressor method for putting new ones on. Never had much luck getting the old ones off that way. I usually wind up cutting them off. I start at the end, cut a split across the end, then pull hard using pliers to lift the old one off, cutting gently if needed. It takes time, but you can do it, and not ruin the heated wiring.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Update. I ordered Coolant hoses one from a Volvo for $4 and 3 from BMW for around $100. The current hoses feel very soft, pliable, not close to cracking. Will need to research the specs for Coolant from BMW.

The manual just has this:
    [​IMG]
  4. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Prestone. It is nitrite and silicate free. It is safe for aluminum. It won't gel up if it comes into contact with GM fluid.

https://www.autozone.com/antifreeze...VDdvACh2XdAlbEAQYASABEgK3T_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    AdamChandler likes this.
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Perfect, I was just about to go through and figure out exactly what I wanted to use today.

Turns out BeemerShop sent the wrong fork springs so I'm now waiting 6 days for new ones. can't really move forward with the project until wheels are back on.
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Another day of snow....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Twenty years of grime isn't going to come off easily. Might need to take a toothbrush to these things to make them look perfect.

[​IMG]

Brand new coolant hoses are attached now. Once that's done, I'll re-fill the coolant and finally get the front forks back on. Progress is happening, just taking a little longer than I thought.
    TonyKZ1, flinders_72 and Carlisja like this.
  7. Possibly Certifiable

Possibly Certifiable Verified Bing-nut

Oddometer:
    Sounds like my personal and professional life. :lol3
    TonyKZ1 and AdamChandler like this.
  8. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE=" Might need to take a toothbrush to these things to make them look perfect.[/QUOTE]

That is why the dentist gives them to us ...Right?
    Richarde1605 and AdamChandler like this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Carlisja and JimVonBaden like this.
  10. Carlisja

Oddometer:
    Exciting. Can't wait to see the final product.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. Carlisja

Oddometer:
    We want more updates. Quit with the rallies. Get to work.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Busy freaking summer! She's coming back together. I don't really foresee any more technical delays just delays of me being gone way more than I'm home. Although, while Felicity is probably pissed I'm gone so much, my GF Heather is even more pissed. I gotta get her happy before I can put clothes back on Felicity.
    Mofrid and Carlisja like this.
  13. Carlisja

Oddometer:
    That was funny. Maybe you should add writing magazine articles to your crowded repertoire.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I already do that, too. I’m a busy guy.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Alright! The bike is slowly (finally) coming back together.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

A few times I fired her up and allowed coolant to cycle through so I could top it off as needed. alll of the coolant bubbles are out. Oil added a bit more of that as well once the bike had started. I bled the front brakes no problem but the rear I couldn't get done. turns out the ABS system isn't just a power bleeder but some hydraulic thing that BMW sells. IDK, I'll probably just get it completely re-assembled then have BMW pick it up and do the bleeding for me. Brakes aren't something I want to mess around with and I replaced all of the lines with new ones.

The remaining work is ONLY the fairing but I say only with all-caps because I still don't have that upper right tree plastic pieces repaired and so I'm still feeling like the right thing to do would be to sell everything that makes this an RT. I've been trying for a few months to source a new wind-jammer but most of the ones on eBay also are broken at the exact same spot. I've spent about $500 buying new RT parts like the plastic pieces that go inside of the wind-blocker thing, new storage bins and random brackets. I could just sell those as 'new' and the RT piece for $300 and basically buy the S fairings but I'd need to do more research on converting an RT to an S or C and see if there's anything else missing.

The only way to save myself here would be to spend the $255 and replace the upper piece completely - https://www.beemerboneyard.com/46632325443.html
  16. Carlisja

Oddometer:
    Tough question. On one hand it is "In for a penny. In for a pound." If you were keeping the bike, it would be a no brainer to order the BBY part. If you add $300 to the sell price, does that keep you in the black and still give you the satisfaction of the project completion?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    One bigger item would be the value of an RT over a stripped down S conversion. Do you put value in keeping it as it was?

I've already spent
    169.63 - to replace the broken RT Metal Bracket that holds on the upper fairing
    125.97 + 24.99 + 178.36 in replacing the broken RT upper boxes & some trim pieces

I would spend + $300 to replace the entire upper fairing as well w/ good paint, all mount points intact, no bondo evidence or cracks.

So already preserving the RT has been a cost of around $500. Now looking at $300 to replace the main upper fairing so I know it's good for life but if the next owner is just going to chop off the upper fairing anyway because it's too "old man" I'm worried that cost was for nothing when I could just put the broken one on and not feel like I'm screwing over the next guy because I do like stuff I sell to last the next person many years of satisfaction.

-----

I think if I were keeping it and perhaps giving it to my sister or GF who are just learning to ride and want a low to the ground bike w/ ABS, I'd probably just flat-seat scrambler it and sell the seat, backrest, boxes and fairing parts for $500 and call it a day OR if I knew the next owner intended on doing that anyway, I wouldn't feel too bad about not making the bike perfect.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I think what I'll do for now...proceed, try and repair the plastic and basically treat this as "gotta get it done and do what you can" sort of deal. If I affix that main piece and still have doubts, I'll then think about buying the $300 part. I'm always pretty honest with myself and others when I'm at that point of "nah, this isn't going to be a final solution" instead of "let's see how it goes".
  19. Carlisja

Oddometer:
    How bad is the upper fairing? Cod it be repaired with fiberglass mat? If so, the repair would be much cheaper than the replacement part plus paint. It does not have to be perfection. You have been working to make this bike safe for long distance touring, not a museum. Stripping the bike back to basics would also take away the capability and look that drew you into it.

On the other hand, I noticed this new upper part already painted. https://www.beemerboneyard.com/46631456843.html
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    This post has the photo s- https://advrider.com/f/threads/adamchandlers-felicity-1995-k75rt-build-thread.1369965/#post-37158945