1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

AdamChandler's "Felicity" 1995 K75RT Build Thread

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by AdamChandler, Mar 7, 2019.

1. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the paint code offer, but the metallic graphite of mine is my second favorite OEM color for that bike so I’m good.

I agree these are great bikes. 72k miles on my K75S when I sold it, and the only issue that entire time was the cooling fan motor seizing at 65k miles or so. The fan probably wore out by running so much when I used to commute on the bike in Texas.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. TownPump

TownPump Long timer

Oddometer:
    My old K75RT was this same graphite color, great color. Mine did not have ABS thankfully. While the RT was too cramped for my long legs, I absolutely LOVED the 3 cylinder engine. I miss that bike.
    TonyKZ1, AdamChandler and jdub like this.
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Same here, I'd prefer no ABS and no RT fairing but here we are. I'm 6'3" I flat foot my GSA and I love the K75. going to do everything I can to keep it.
    TownPump likes this.
  4. TownPump

TownPump Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never had any mechanical issues with that bike, save for one pesky and stressful gremlin. For several years it would randomly lose almost all power. It happened during rush hour on I-90 on a bridge with nowhere to go, thought I would die. It left me stranded in the middle of nowhere several times. Often it would spring back to life for a while. Nothing made sense, spark plugs and wires were good, emptied gas tank, changed fuel filter, air filter, etc.

Eventually, I finally figured it out. The computer harness was not seated/locked in properly. So occasionally just the right bump or vibration would cause it to loosen just slightly enough to interrupt the circuits enough to reduce power but usually not enough to completely shut down. Strangest thing, but an easy life changing fix. No more random strandings or close calls with the grill of an 18 wheeler bearing down on me from behind.
    3legs, AdamChandler and TonyKZ1 like this.
  5. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had the same problem as above with my K1100. It did it a couple of times so I ended up zip tying the harness to the box and it's never done it again.
    TownPump likes this.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Making progress Adam!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  7. jdub

Oddometer:
    @AdamChandler, because you have a LC GSA for a direct comparison, how do you find the clutch lever effort on your K75 compared to the GSA?

When I bought my K75RT in December, the clutch lever pull was far heavier than on either my '14 GS-LC or my DR650. After installing a new OEM clutch cable on the DR last year, I consider both of those bikes to have very light lever pulls (one or two fingers used when off-road on either). Upon tearing down the K75, I found it's removed clutch cable very stiff (likely the original one, 25 years and 78k miles old) and the clutch release pivot linkage on the rear of the gearbox to be very notchy and stiff also. I installed a new Featherlite clutch cable from Motobins (extremely smooth/light effort when uninstalled), and removed/cleaned/lubed the clutch release pivot linkage on the gearbox. I had the clutch out while replacing the rear main seal, and know that it was reinstalled correctly.

After adjusting the clutch cable and lever per the manual, I'd estimate the lever effort to still be 2 to 3 times that of the GS & DR. While better than what it was when I bought the bike, the lever effort is still heavy. It's been over 20 years since I sold my K75S, and it was likely just like this RT's lever effort, but I can't remember.

Because of on again/off again tendonitis in my left forearm that has been plaguing me for several years, if that amount of clutch lever effort is normal for the K75 I probably won't be able to ride it as I planned. Even the old clutch cable on the DR triggered the tendonitis last year.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Good morning!

Clutch pull on the K75 is significantly harder than my GS...and I am still using the stock clutch cable. I may swap it as you have but I agree. it's a really hard pull and then just keeping the clutch engaged (like at a long stop light), I actually felt compelled to put it into Neutral which is something I rarely do I always like the 1st gear to stay engaged in case I have to move quickly but at a long light, it was too hard to hold.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  9. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    My K75C and K75S had fairly hard clutch pulls. Cables do help, but they will still be harder than a modern hydraulic clutch.
    [​IMG]

My R1100RS and R1100GS had significantly easier clutch pulls.
    tinwelp, TownPump and AdamChandler like this.
  10. jdub

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the confirmations. I might be putting a very clean and thoroughly serviced K75RT up for sale soon. It's been a fun winter project though.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Beautiful K75!! Hmm,..the cable clutch pull on my 94 R1100RS has never been an issue. But, exact setup to the factory specs makes a big difference. Right down to the little nylon sleeve that fits around the barrel cable end and the cable end that maintains direct straight pull at the cable without any cable bend. Barrel adjuster has the right distance out of the mount, and the lever arm has to be at the right position at the tranny, before finalizing the cable free play. The original cable on my RS lasted well over 150,000 miles. The second cable, because I didn't set it up right and lube the ends properly, only lasted 20,000. Since then, all good.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  12. jdub

Oddometer:
    I also owned a '94 R1100RS, and like on every other bike I owned before my forearm tendonitis developed several years ago the RS's clutch lever effort was something I never even thought about. The clutch pull on an early '90s 1200 Sportster I kept for a year for a neighbor was another matter, but I digress. I realize now though that clutch effort has to be a determining factor for any bike I consider buying.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam, it's nice to see that she is getting done right. (For those who don't know, I am the one who sold Felicity to him.) K75's really are such nice bikes.

Don't forget that I have a complete spare front fairing tucked into the corner of my garage attic. No rush at all, it's not in the way. Shipping would be obscene due to it's size.
    AdamChandler and JimVonBaden like this.
  14. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Hi Eddy!

Hijack, you coming to my tech day this year?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. Eddy Alvarez

Oddometer:
    Sadly no GS now, my only BMW is my ‘67 R60/2 (which I am smitten with!). I tried a different street bike direction to see what the fuss was all about. I now have the three below which together cost less than a new GSA. But there will most likely be another GS in my garage someday.

:photog *Now back to our regular K75RT programming

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Richarde1605 and AdamChandler like this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Holy crap, I honestly completely forgot about the spare fairing! You honestly might have to sell it on MotoBrick or CL. I don't have the space for it and probably won't need it now that this is getting buttoned up as is. I'm so sorry I left you hanging on that. feel free to PM / Email.
  17. Eddy Alvarez

Oddometer:
    No worries at all, I can list it on either FB, CL or here if I need to get it out of there
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    The tech day cares not what you ride. Lots of people on non-BMWs come for the show!
  19. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    I'm actually very pleased with the clutch setup, feel and effort on my 94 RS, such that when I happen across another RS of similar age I sneak up and check the clutch lever pull. I've found my 94 RS is setup better than most I have checked out.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Vanity Plate Secured...amazed that HIP was available. While the bike does qualify for a New Hampshire Antique plate, their restrictions are too much for me in that they require you only drive it to parades, shows or museum events you can't drive it on the road unless you're en route to an event where the bike will be displayed.
    [​IMG]
    krellheat and JimVonBaden like this.