AdamChandler's Rides and Wanderings, 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by AdamChandler, Mar 24, 2019.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    From the above event, the professional photographer's images of me came out and I had to buy them all:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    '[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's his site - http://otmpix.com
  2. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] '
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 of us yesterday road 130 miles around the Dirt Day Northeast Guided Route. A few more changes to make before the route is finalized. Huge thanks to all of the volunteers (guess I''m in this group as well). All of the groups are running routes with final preparations. I'd post the GPX trace but then I'd give away all of the fun! See you guys in Vermont.
  3. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The August BMW MOV Breakfast in Bethel VT was our largest of the year. Generally, May is our biggest month but we filled up the parking lot with German Beauties.

[​IMG]

No breakfast next month...our rally is happening instead. Putting the last pieces together. The 5 meals we're serving are all great - http://bmwmov.wildapricot.org/rally 160 of 250 seats are already sold. Should be another sell-out year.

My GF was Pillion today. I'd say she did pretty well considering half of our ride was dirt. We explored the woods a bit and hit a few dead-ends but no complaints from her:
    [​IMG]
    russ4ru and ejm4 like this.
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

....and some photos from this weekend:

Found a kid selling lemonade
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    russ4ru, Huckwheat and TownPump like this.
  5. ckindt

ckindt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We're you looking for a kid selling lemonade?
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Always. Lemonade is awesome.
    ckindt likes this.
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Zero shame. Long day of 90 degree riding in a full Badlands Pro suit & Full face helmet so we stopped for lunch, I stripped down and hopped in the lake. One of my friends snapped this photo....some of the other riders were a little ashamed for me but nah, it felt good to cool off.
    [​IMG]
  9. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    images(17).jpg
    :imaposer
    russ4ru and AdamChandler like this.
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    WOOHOOOO man, this year is almost coming to a close. So stoked that I've been able to consistently keep updating this thread with trip tid-bits. First, here's the ride we did at the BMWMOV Dual Sport Drive in. This was not a Class VI/VI ride. this was a straight up trail ride. At some points we were just riding through the woods like no trail in sight just riding in the woods and Eben our tour guide has made this route over the last 5 years. Trail riding to the extreme with the nicest roads being snowmobile trails. ......seriously.

[​IMG]

I unfortunately did not camp for this event. I wanted to but I had to be up early on Sunday for work so I came, I rode and I went home (sorry everyone)

Here's the video highlighting the ride:

Some Photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    russ4ru and ejm4 like this.
  11. Snowboy71

Snowboy71 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Looks like an awesome ride. So bummed to have missed it! Any time you want to re-ride that Adam please let me know and I'll join you!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  12. russ4ru

russ4ru All Time n00b.

Oddometer:
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    This 'wandering' is off-script in that it wasn't on the 2019 list of planned events but since this is my ride-report, I felt safe going into a bit more detail. My riding hobby began in September of 2015. I was going to turn 30 the following year and wanted to ride a motorcycle across country so I started looking into getting a motorcycle license and investigating what kind of bike I wanted. Given where I live, a dirt bike was top of my list but did I want to ride one across country? I eventually arrived at the Adventure Bike Segment of upright, high clearance touring bikes with off-road capabilities. I paid for an April 2016 MSF Course that December and started bike shopping. I blogged about the desire to buy a bike and a reader contacted me with a story that basically in 2008 he was deployed in Italy, bought a GS and shipped it back home in 2009 and never rode it again. He was willing to get the 6K mile service done to it (it had 7K miles), install new tires and bring it up to New Hampshire from Baltimore on his trailer. I'd meet him, give him 7 grand and I'd have my first bike. 7K was so much cheaper than a 6K mile GS Adventure should cost so despite this being too much bike for me, I went for it and accepted his offer. Before the MSF Course, I met him and we put the bike in a neighbor's garage until after the course since Winter wasn't quite over yet. I blogged about before & after thoughts of my MSF class if anyone is curious.

At the training, I told the instructor I already paid for the advanced course in 3 weeks, "ride 1000 miles and ride every day and you'll be ready for the advanced course" I did and I did great. Doing the course on my own bike and the instructor was very impressed with how I did. I did 10K miles that year.

Heather and I were already dating at the time, I made her wait a full year before I felt confident to put her on the back of my bike. That first spring of 2017, I told her "if we go for a ride and I break a leg, I'd love to know you could get us home" She said "I'll never ride a motorcycle" Every Spring since then 2018 and then 2019, same thing. She'll never ride and while she didn't. love riding on the bike since she wasn't in control, she also didn't want to ride a bike her own.

Then in June of 2019, after I had been through 4 weekends of MSF Classes, a Track day, BMW Authority School, StreetMasters Cornering school and 1:1 Off-Road academies and now with 4 motorcycles in my garage, heather came to me a few days before her birthday "I'm ready to take the MSF. I want to join you on all of your trips"

So I had her join the MOA for $29 as a household member so she could qualify for the $250 scholarship to be used for training. I bought her MSF training and she applied for the scholarship and then we went out to hunt for bikes that would fit her.

We sat on a few dozen bikes over 3 days. cruisers fit her in that she could flat-foot but any standard bike that fit her was hard to come by. She could flat-food a Duke 390, G310R, Versos X-300 and that's about it. I think the was on her tip-toes for the SV650 as well. We did go to BMW because MOA members get $500+ off a bike. I'm also an MOA Regional coordinator so sometimes I get additional discounts and I am really involved with the BMW community. No one would have made fun of her for a 1st bike not being a BMW. I certainly didn't push her to it but she sat on an F750GS Low suspension and it fit her. So we bought that bike and arranged for delivery a full week before she took her MSF class!

Phew....now the heat is really on. What if she completely fails the MSF. I don't want an F750GS. I don't even want to commute on it.

She goes through the MSF class and aces it. Losing only 5 points and well above the 20 you can lose and still pass. The day after her class was Labor Day so she went to get her license from the DMV on Tuesday and on Wednesday, we took our first ride together:

A few days earlier, we took a ride on my bike and discussed her MSF Class:

and as you'll see in the next wanderings post, 2 days after she got her license, she went to her first motorcycle rally. Riding 70 miles by herself on pretty twisty roads to the rally. Her lines are really good. her friction zone needs work. She still hates riding on gravel but overall she's a really great rider for being brand new to the sport...seriously brand new. She and I both before we got our licenses had never ridden a motorcycle before. I had never touched one. We both knew manual transmissions really well and we're both highly functional project managers and both hands-on learners.

Here are a few photos. When this year started, I never thought we'd end the year with heather on her own bike. It's a huge deal for us to be riding together after 4 years of her calling me crazy for riding :) I hope we get to take a big trip next year together on our BMWs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few more videos in the series are here:

We'll continue doing "Heather Rides" as much as she is into it.

russ4ru, SPX and Amphib like this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    WOOOHOOOO. My first rally...well the first one I've (CO) organized. I have been doing event planning for a long time. as in I used to rent out bars and plan bar camps at age 16. I'm not new to these at all and honestly, the Green Mountain Rally is very well established. over 30 years old. Everyone knows the deal. Volunteers come out of the woodwork and I felt confident taking this one knowing it would sell out and just doing my best to make it a fun rally for people. I didn't over-extend myself or do more than I had to. It went really really well!

We sold 290 tickets, 280 showed up. We didn't run out of food. The band showed up on time and did an amazing blue-grass set. The food truck was a little bit late on Thursday but over 70 people volunteered. We sold out all of the shirts and are going to actually be selling more post-rally because 25 people wanted them. The entire planning actually started in February. Chip (my co-chair) and I met every month for the first 3 months. We did a lot of the legal and permitting work early on. By May the paperwork was all done. Ads were purchased and by May, the tickets were on sale. I was in Berlin when I put the tickets on sale. Cabins sold out in about 3 minutes and I got a lot of nasty emails from people saying I was playing tricks...nope, they just sold out really fast. By the 1st of August, all 250 tickets were sold so I put up 50 more with a different wrist-band for people who didn't mind eating dinner after everyone else. 3 of us went to all kinds of companies and we ended up getting 150 giveaway items so almost everyone won something! We gave out almost $1500 to max BMW in gift cards, a dozen Touratech dry bags, bags from Wolfman, Clearwater lights & gift cards. Jesse Luggage gift cards. books, cruz tools, shirts, riding gear, BMW riding gear, Frank's motorcycle sales gift certificates. The list goes on and on. when 2/3 of your attendees get something to take. home? that's amazing. We also gave away $500 in 50/50 raffles cash to attendees. There was so much excitement and great riding and no one got hurt the I know of. I sent out a survey to attendees and overwhelmingly the results are positive. I hope I get to plan next year's GMR as well!!!!

I did shoot a video but I was so busy that this isn't my normal quality. Sorry. I did take extra care to get great photos so those are mostly below. as usual, all photos are on my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adamjackson/page1

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    TownPump, Red Card, russ4ru and 2 others like this.
  15. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    It's funny, because I'm usually the youngest guy at these things.....and you got me beat....barely.....lol. wish I could have been at your shin-dig, looked like a good time. It's hard finding other guys in their 30's with time and money. I usually just do things by myself. It gets old after awhile.
    EMTNEK, Tallbastid and AdamChandler like this.
  16. russ4ru

russ4ru All Time n00b.

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much Adam for great organized event and time you spend to make it happen !!
    I had a blast for sure and will be back next year again !! :clap Love the images you took :nod !! Thanks
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. ejm4

ejm4 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    x2 and I'm in my early 40s....
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    On October 5th, 3 of us went out into the woods around Norwich Vermont and went exploring:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The sun was pretty harsh so all of the photos didn't really come out fully and like super harsh over exposures I couldn't deal with in post-processing. Oh well, still better than phones.

Here's our loop:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    This took place on October 5th but I decided to ride with some friends instead because

A) MaxBMW required you do their ride on a BMW
    B) They required you run full Knobbies.

My GS Adventure is fine off road but I don't put Knobbies on it anymore for cost reasons. I used those savings to buy a dirt bike...yes seriously. 12K miles a year, 2K miles per set of TKC80s and after 5 years, I could just buy a dirt bike instead so that's what I did. I still had bought a ticket to the event so I showed up in the evening after an awesome day of off-road riding on the Beta 500 and got to see Teach mcNeil doing his thing then enjoyed dinner with the group and rode home in fridid 40 degree temps in the dark which was very cold for me since I didn't bring any base layers just snowmobile gloves.

The event was a morning ride + obstacle course but since my GS was on 80/20s, I wasn't allowed to participate so showing up at 5PM was much nicer. still got to see some friends, eat, see a show and then ride home and sleep in my own bed. It was 27F as the low that night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    This now annual event changed a lot this year. One of our riding buddies moved to Virginia. Another's KLR shit the bed (I think?) and he's saving up for a 690 Enduro. Jesse spent a few months on the TAT so it was down to just two of us this year so we decided to spend the time on the NH Flatlander ride. And because the weather was so nice, we did this on October 12th instead. Great time, full peak foliage. We had a blast:

[​IMG]

Here are a few photos. Video is coming soon:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]