AdamChandler's Rides and Wanderings, 2020 Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by AdamChandler, Mar 4, 2020.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone, this is the 2nd edition of my world famous Rides and Wanderings. This thread will focus on day and multi-day trips and I'll always share a story along with photos & videos. Sometimes I'll post the GPX logs so you can ride the route for yourself.

Here is a sample of my past work on ADVRider:
    Or, you may be familiar with my work over on YouTube, Flickr, Blog, Instagram, Podcast or Untappd but as per the rules, I will not even link to those places for the ride-report. I will always put the content in full here and each post will be a story. This is not "go here to read my adventure".

The goal of this thread will be to share motorcycle adventures that are not "epic rides" I think this will meet the requirements of this sub-forum. Each post will be a day-trip, overnighter, interesting video from a commute to work or a jaunt down a trail.

I'll also be sharing various rallies and events I attend which will keep these posts out of GS Boxers for which I'm entirely too active on.

At the end of 2020's riding season, this thread will be retired and I'll start one for 2021.

One personal rule I will extend to myself and hopefully others is I don't want mods pruning the thread due to off-topic posts so I am going to do my best to not address any off topic questions in this thread and restrict this only to day-trip ride reports. Please call me out if I break my own rules.

I do hope you'll follow along this year's rides. Please check out last year's thread to get an idea of how this goes to see if you're interested in following.
    glasshousebc likes this.
  2. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    2020 Rally / Motorcycle Event Schedule that will always inspire at least one post here in this thread (this will be updated as plans change):

Notes:
    • I am co-chair of the Green Mountain Rally
    • I am chair / Organizer for the MOA Getaway in Warren VT
    • I am on the board of directors for the BMW Vermont club so those events I'll have a larger part in and obviously interest in promoting
    handensco and bb82bird like this.
  3. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
  4. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    BMW MOA Ambassador

Fully-farkled long-distance touring GSA

NOT attending 2020 BMW MOA National Rally in Great Falls, MT

55E1DDC1-778A-48E3-AF59-B783D740D6F9.jpeg

:dunno:hmmmmm:fpalm:dirtdog
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you're serious or not but I'll respond.
    • I'm a Regional coordinator for New England, not central states and I'm not an ambassador or MOA board member. There is no requirement I go
    • I have 15 interns this summer from June 1st - September 6th. I recruit, onboard and manage them full time in addition to my other work
    • I can only get away for up to 1 week when I have a full intern load
    • It would take me...if I marathoned it, 3 days each way + a 4 day rally so we're talking 10 days total
    • Work won't approve I take off for 1.5-2 weeks especially when I just got my interns onboard and ramped up to their summer activities
    • In addition, if I had 2-3 weeks I could take off to actually make this trip worth it, I would be going some place else.
    Remember, the MOA does rallies in 3 areas on a cycle. Last year was east coast, this year is west coast. I think it's more than fair that someone not only on the east cost but someone FAR north east like myself to be excused from attending the west coast rally.

If the MOA would like to fly me in and put me on a rental motorcycle, I still couldn't convince my boss to allow me to go. I started recruiting these 15 interns last September, I have 5 interns now who leave in April and that gives me only the month of April to go away until my summer batch leaves in September so as you an see, as of June, I'm only doing weekend trips because I simply cannot get away.

Finally, I'm 33. I have many decades of time left to go to rallies on other parts of the country but at this time in my life, I feel I strike a very good balance of riding events, rallies, my 4 jobs and a very patient girlfriend.

If you are only being sarcastic, just know I take my role in the MOA very seriously and spend about 6 hours a week helping out with clubs and local events which is my scope of work so please don't say I have to go to a rally 2500 miles away from me.

..and please consider adding a sarcasm tag going forward if you truly are just kidding.
  6. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    3404BCA8-BA22-4E66-AD8E-B79795BA64C0.jpeg
    Ha ha... wow! just yankin your chain, man!

Mostly cuz you did state you were going to attend the 2020 national in one of your previous YT videos. I get it, your schedule is insane. No worries.

As a northwesterner, I’ve been waiting 3 years for this rally to be within reach. I would never travel to a central or eastern rally myself... much rather go solo to Deadhorse, Alaska if I had that much time.

Oh, and C’mon, man - ANY comment including the ridiculous Greta Thunberg (meme) is dripping with sarcasm, or so I thought.
    Enjoy the riding season, Adam. :beer
    Shawnee Bill and AdamChandler like this.
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I honestly thought you were serious. I wish I could go to MT.
    Solo Moto likes this.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    As you can all see, all of April & May events were cancelled. So we've done some short day-trips.

May 3rd, we all met in North Haverhill at the fairgrounds and went on Jesse's loop around VT/NH. He is doing Dirt Daze planning this year and wanted to try a few roads with us all on varying bike sizes so we had 650 all of the way up to 1200CCs. I'm looking forward to riding the route again as he finalizes everything. I've had people ask for the GPX files. I don't have them but in Dirt Daze style, you'll have to come to the rally to ride it. You can buy tickets here - https://dirtdazerally.com

Photos:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Videos:
    Short version:

Long Version:
    PackinDirt and OldBarKeep like this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    May 10th: I took the Beta thinking we'd be on some really gnarly stuff but I could have taken the GS instead. Oh well, still a great freaking day! We tried to ride some of the Northeast BDR but honestly, there were too many closed gates that we ended up picking up the Puppy Dog Ride and then Snowboy threw in some local roads that he rides down quite a lot. things not on the map anymore, etc. Great day! We were an Africa Twin, 790 Adventure and my Beta 500!

Photos:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Video:
    Tallbastid, ejm4, Massabusa and 2 others like this.
  10. Ikeya-Seki

Ikeya-Seki Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice Adam. I'm curious about the closed sections you came upon - I was unable to read the sign in your photo. What was explanation? Did it appear temporary? I'm down by the coast and run out of leg room pretty fast around here. I expect to ride the NEBDR this summer/MABDR in fall. TAT 2021. If you remember, we were going to ride some of the Hamster last fall, but my side stand switch broke in Concord & I didn't make it. Anyhow, I willing and able to join in on a ride or two any time - give me a holler. Cheers.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Pretty much every town in Vermont has Class IV roads closed until June 1st. It protects the roads from becoming damaged and impassable because we're still (as you can see) in mud season. People obviously ignore these signs but most don't because they know in June, the roads will be far nicer if they are patient and not ride on them in this shape. The roads we did take were either off-map or not closed and so as you can see, they are total mud pits because there's no gate keeping people off them.

Follow the NH/VT Central riders thread. We post pretty much all plans there and people can join in. Looking forward to riding with you this year!
    Ikeya-Seki likes this.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    May 15th: Maine Camping Trip with Friends

@MoXoM, @Red Card and I had a really great weekend. This was one for the history books because it was short, stomach able (low-stress, easy, fun, attainable without a lot of planning) and fantastic riding where no one got hurt, no bikes were damaged and the only downside is Red Card lost his socks (literally). We even camped in an area with zero bugs. Fantastic riding, I had an awesome time

Stats: (ignore the last 2 figures that's a bug0
    [​IMG]

Map of route:
    [​IMG]

The goal of this route was to do as much of NH/ME's BDR that we could. I believe there were 2 instances where the roads were still closed and we had to find an alternative route. As many of you know, the Maine BDR used to extend way farther north (basically an extra day of riding) and this was removed due to property owner issues so while we did do the full BDR to the end, I feel that if they ever add back a Northern section, I'll have to do that to feel complete. I want to explore northern Maine more and that would be a great opportunity to do it.

On the way home, we wanted to do Hamster up to Boundary Pond but more gates were closed so we couldn't do it. Basically everything is shut down until at least June 1st in ME, NH and VT because that's just how it is with spring thaw.

like any good adventure, Friday we aimed to get back into the NH but got stuck in a storm. My Garmin was warning me of tornados and my girlfriend called to let me know 50 mile an hour winds and 2" of rain was heading my way so we had to find a place to camp ASAP breaking Maine's Quarantine rules as we were an hour east of NH. Rain came fast, we couldn't find any camp-sites stealth or real and had to do a cheap motel on the border. We ordered some Thai food and made the best of it.

The next day, we explored northern NH and saw our 2nd moose of the weekend, a bear and other wild life and once again had a lot of double-backs due to gates closed but still, a great time.

Camping around Jefferson NH along the national forest border we headed south on the Hamster on Sunday to Canaan NH where we parted ways.

Here are a few photos:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I did get some decent video clips but 25% of them were corrupted thanks to GoPro eating up SD cards. I have to buy all new cards once a year due to this and GoPro never warns you of degradation, just pretends everything is normal until you get home and realize corruption issues so a few of my favorite moments are lost and editing is slower due to the corrupted files causing final cut to crash. So...it's gonna be a crappy video but I'm pretty happy with the weekend and the photos came out well.

On Sunday, following the Hamster south, we came across "The Rock Pile" motocross in Warren NH. Every Sunday for $25 and a waiver, it's open practice for anyone on anything. We even saw 2 bikes rocking super Moto wheels & tires on the track. They said I could take my GS out there (no thanks) and there were kids on 50CC bikes up to 500CC Huskies. It was awesome to hang out for an hour and watch. I'm going to go back soon with my Beta. Here are a few photos:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Check them out on Facebook. You basically sign this waiver and show up with $25 cash and you're good for the day. they have training every Sunday

Video from trip:
    EmmEff, ejm4, Massabusa and 1 other person like this.
  13. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Outstanding pics. Looks like a great trip!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. Ikeya-Seki

Ikeya-Seki Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice shots Adam!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. ejm4

ejm4 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    May 25th: My first time doing Motocross & Single Track! Went to this place which is open Saturdays and Sundays 9-5. Pay $25 and sign a waiver and there are no classes. you just go out and ride. they have the track that started getting super dusty so I switched over to their single-track course which was a lot of fun:

Videos:

Photos (of other riders not me) which I think are magazine worthy but I don't know who would publish them:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    June 6th: The Vermont BMW Riders Club initially cancelled our annual Puppy dog Ride because of COVID and the closure of Vermont's state parks but one of the board members Even suggested we do a mini PDR and invite our members to join up that morning at the southern point of the ride and head North to the half-way point before we break for the day just after a distanced outdoor lunch. I was amazed to see 2 dozen bikes show up for this mini-PDR and we split into groups of 4-8 and it was still self-guided as in there were no tour guides really but if you had the route, people could follow you and most groups ended up at the same take-out lunch spot around 1PM. It was a really good time and it was great to see a lot of people that I had not seen since the February member breakfast and many since last year's pre-winter breakfast.

Video:

Photos:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

we actually don't know who this guy is. While I don't shame people about ATGATT, when I sent these photos to our club, first question was "that guy wasn't in our ride, right?"
    [​IMG]

I feel people can wear whatever gear they want to wear. I don't shame them but BMW people can be really sensitive about gear.

Map of Ride:
    [​IMG]
    lvscrvs, NSFW and Suncoaster like this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    June 7th: Dirt Bikes & ATV Trails:

A week ago, @dualscotty messaged a few of us and asked if anyone wanted to do a dirt bike day. Four of us got together, @Red Card, myself and @MoXoM met up at the Burger King in Claremont NH and hopped on some of the Sullivan County ATV trails. All of us had stickers of course and good thing because we saw 3 checkpoints that day making sure we were properly permitted to be there.

The group had a really good pace. I know we would have been faster all on 2-strokes but no one is breaking records (or bones) so we just laughed through all of the dropped bikes and mud pits and had a blast. In total, about 2.5 hours of riding, an hour of breaks and 45 minutes trying to the Red Card's 690 running Turns out a small detonation issue that led to a back-fire unseated the hose connecting the intake to the engine just past the sensor that measured air flow & temp so with an air leak induced, the sensor was doing all kinds of wonky shit to the engine where it couldn't maintain steady idle and so it'd bounce around the RPMs a bit. We found the leak and re-clamped it up and away we went.

Video:

Photos: (I did not bring my full frame SLR with me today in case I submerged the bike completely which I didn't but still, good to not bring a camera on trips like this where the camera is worth more than the bike. These photos are all iPhone taken which means they are washed out and crappy compared to my SLR. sorry)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    BigDogRaven and Suncoaster like this.
  19. manshoon

manshoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like allot of fun....less trying to push those 690s over the downed trees and mud bogs. Adam, did you ride your bike to the staging area or trailer it ?

Makes for a long day in the saddle ride in ride out :)
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    It was about 40 minutes of riding each way. The beta is “all day comfortable” so long as I don’t have any luggage with me. Once I pack the Mosko 40L bags on the bag with an overnight setup of tents and such, it throws off the bike’s balance a lot. If the trail is 1 hour away, I’ll trailer it though. “Hours” on the Beta are a lot more expensive than my GS so an hour of slab is pretty wasteful.