AdamChandler's Rides and Wanderings, 2021 Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by AdamChandler, Mar 15, 2021.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone, this is the 3rd edition of my world famous Rides and Wanderings. This thread will focus on day and multi-day trips and I'll always share a story along with photos & videos. Sometimes I'll post the GPX logs so you can ride the route for yourself.

Here is a sample of my past work on ADVRider:
    Or, you may be familiar with my work over on Instagram, YouTube, Flickr, Blog, Podcast or Untappd but as per the rules, I will not link to those places for the ride-report updates. I will always put the content in full here and each post will be a story. This is not "go here to read my adventure".

The goal of this thread will be to share motorcycle adventures that are not "epic rides" I think this will meet the requirements of this sub-forum. Each post will be a day-trip, overnighter, interesting video from a commute to work or a jaunt down a trail.

I'll also be sharing various rallies and events I attend which will keep these posts out of GS Boxers for which I'm entirely too active on.

At the end of 2021's riding season, this thread will be retired and I'll start one for 2022.

One personal rule I will extend to myself and hopefully others is I don't want mods pruning the thread due to off-topic posts so I am going to do my best to not address any off topic questions in this thread and restrict this only to day-trip ride reports. Please call me out if I break my own rules.

I do hope you'll follow along this year's rides. Please check out last year's thread to get an idea of how this goes to see if you're interested in following.
    glasshousebc likes this.
  2. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    2021 Rally / Motorcycle Event Schedule that will always inspire at least one post here in this thread (this will be updated as plans change):
    • BMW Premiere Training Off-Road, Greer SC - April 16-17
    • JVB Tech Day, Alexandria VA - April 24
    • Yankee Beemers Frosty Nutz, Ascutney VT - April 30
    • American Supercamp Off-Road Training, Harrington DE - May 14
    • Camping with Heather, Bar Harbor Maine - May 21-23
    • BMW MOV Puppy Dog Ride, Barnard VT - June 5-6
    • Yankee Beemers Pemi River Rally - June 11-12
    • BMW MOA National Rally, Great Falls MT - June 24-27
    • July 1st, Heather's Birthday, camping?
    • NEAR Rally, Harrisville NH - July 15-18
    • BMW MOV: Lake Carmi Campout, Enosburg Falls VT, July 16-18
    • Trans-Taiga Adventure (Pending border opening), July 23-31
    • GS Giants Rock Lobster, Colebrook CT - August 5-8
    • BMW MOV: NEK Camp & Ride, Island Pond VT - August 6-8
    • BMW RA Rally, Wanesville NC - August 12-15
    • Dirt Daze, North Haverhill NH - August 19-23
    • August 26th, Adam's Birthday, Camping?
    • BMW MOV Dual Sport Drive-In, Westminster VT - August 26-28
    • BMW GS USA Qualifier, Greer SC - September 2-4
    • BMW MOV Green Mountain Rally, Goshen VT - September 9-12
    • BMW MOA Vermont Getaway, Sugarbush - September 17-18
    • Off-Road Camping Weekend with Friends - September 24-26
    • Adam & Heather's Wedding, Goshen VT - October 1-3
    • MaxBMW's Wheels in The Field, Chester VT - October 3-4
    Notes:
    • I am co-chair of the Green Mountain Rally
    • I am host for the MOA Getaway in Warren VT
    • I'm the Vice President of the BMW Motorcycle Owners of Vermont
    • Regional Coordinator for NH/VT for the BMW MOA
    • I am a candidate for board member for the BMW MOA (Ballots open in April)
  3. Otroo

Otroo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I look forward to this.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Thank you for tuning in! Me too!!! I spent all weekend getting my calendar set for the year, signing of for trainings and some events. If you look at last year, so many events were cancelled so let's hope for a better 2021 and I look forward to sharing photos, GPX files and videos throughout the summer. Rock on!!!!
    glasshousebc likes this.
  5. glasshousebc

glasshousebc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here’s to a great season... looking forward to seeing this journey unfold
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always enjoy your travels.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  7. jmcarter

jmcarter Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buddy and I will be at the Great Falls rally on our way to Alaska (hopefully the border will open). Will look you up there, a fall rally in Vermont sounds very tempting.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You’re a busy guy. Have a safe year!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Maybe I’ll see you out there?

Looking forward to a beer or coffee together. Safe travels!
  10. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your reports. Maybe see you in Montana?
    MOTOPA and AdamChandler like this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I have a ticket for Montana & the RA Rally in NC. I can definitely go to one of them but we have to see how the summer travel stacks up.
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  12. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear you on the travel schedule. I’m plotting the ride to MT as it is a haul from S.Fl.... 3 days of hard riding by the looks of it.:pynd
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    First Ride of 2021!

Before we officially start this ride report, I wanted to send a thanks to everyone. Over the past couple of days, I started participating more in the 'thumpers' section of ADVRider and the people there are a bit more critical than the GS Boxers folks or really the touring community at large. As many of you know from years of our interactions both virtually and in person, I treat everyone in the motorcycle community as a friend I've yet to meet. We all have something in common, a ride to do together, a place we all haven't been before and a favorite after dinner drink. So I approach all of this from a place of "let's bring each other up and make our lives richer" and the past couple of days, I've been criticized a bit for my new 701 bike build which you can check out here - https://advrider.com/f/threads/adam...husqvarna-701-enduro-lr-build-thread.1491613/

I hope that once that build thread is done, we can get back to a bit more positivity. I'm now 13 months into remote work 100% and I'll be going back to an office this Summer which I sorely miss. I miss the long rides without having to worry about stopping for gas and finding my mask, I miss the rallies, the camping, the nights by the fire and the movie theaters. I'm ready to get back to normal and I'm so glad that everyone in my life has come through this unscathed both their health and finances. With that said, let's be good to each other and find the common ground and not the differences. Miss you all and I hope to see you out on the road this year!

My last ride of 2020 was November 8th, first ride March 31st or 143 days of Winter....UGH!

----
    March 31st, high of 62 degrees. We've had a few warm days starting in February but it was always with a caveat like warm but roads are covered in salt or sunny and then roads are covered in ice melt and salt or cool and cloudy and roads are covered in actual ice. So I didn't venture out until late-March when we started having proper nice days much earlier than usual and a few rain storms but then I was met with a problem. My K75RT has a broken seat latch, My R1200GSA was missing a skid plate (and the lower bolts to hold on the center stand), Heather's F750GS had its wiring strewn all over as we wait until May for a back-ordered CanSmart adapter from Twisted Throttle and finally, my Beta which sold in March was replaced by a Husqvarna 701 but that 701 is being built....the 701 WOULD have been done by now since I bought it January 12th but the dealer sat on it for 7 weeks before informing me they never sent off the suspension for tuning and I should just come and pick it up as the alternative was wait until April 1st before they could get to it. So the Husky is almost done ahead of their schedule by doing it myself BUT it's not rideable.

March 31st, AltRider finally sent me a skid plate to replace my broken one and I installed it at 3:55PM and rolled the bike outside and hopped on the GS for a 3 hour ride in our area. I'm actually quite happy with this video:

I used the GoPro Hero 9 a bit in 2020 toward the end of the year but I did not have the "Max Lens Mod" affixed as it wasn't available yet. the max lens greatly increases the viewing angle of the GoPro to I think 122 degrees but that's not why it's cool. The big deal is that with this attached, you enable a superior stabilization than is possible out of the box. This stabilization is very apparent in the video I shot and it's really cool to see my helmet moving all over the video staying super smooth. If you're doing action sports recording, it's pretty amazing!

The ride was short, only 20 miles but it was almost entirely on dirt. Here's the map thanks to Rever's RLink:
    [​IMG]

..and of course, some photos:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Heather showed up to get a photo of me in my new $99 BMW Jacket I got during last year's Black Friday sale:

[​IMG]

This is the first time I used that jacket, the new Klim Krios Pro, Packtalk Black and the GoPro Hero 9 with the "max lens mod" so lots of testing.

The PackTalk Black with the 45MM speakers are INSANE. sounds SO good.

The new GoPro remote didn't work so I need to play around with it and find out why.

Here's a screen shot from the GoPro w/ the Max Lens Mod:
    [​IMG]

Heather got a photo of me leaving Starbucks:
    [​IMG]

I couldn't have asked for a better first ride of the year!

In 3 weeks, I go to Greer to train for the GS trophy for a couple of days. Need to get in shape.
    Serp, ejm4, popscycle and 1 other person like this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Serp likes this.