AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/refl...fit-available-in-black-red-and-white.1036693/

Custom cut to fit any panniers. He even made some for my front forks that blend in with the matte black forks but light up well with reflection.
    BJMoose likes this.
  2. Nashfast

Nashfast 101st AB Sniper RVN

Oddometer:
    Hey andynj, I agree about the location not being optimal. I used the split mount Denali Soundbomb on my 2014 GSA LC. Took my time for this custom installation. Works perfect and non obtrusive in appearance,
    Denali Soundbomb install on my 2014 R1200GSAW. Decided to replace anemic stock horn with something way more noticeable on the road. Removed upper crash bars with lights and all the body tank panels and beak.

E[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Once all the panels were removed next the stock horn and bracket were removed. The Denali horn was then held up in the vacated area. The mounting surface of the new horn matched well with the OEM horn bracket when placed as high as possible in the space. Then the bracket was replaced and marked for a 90 degree bend to mount the Denali horn.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the modified bracket a new hole drilled to fit the center of the Denali mounting surface. Excess length of the bracket was cut off and corners were rounded.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the Denali with bracket installed with the hardware that came with the horn. I used the OEM nut plate and bolt. The picture shows the angle after pre fitting the horn.
    [​IMG]
    Installed Views
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For the compressor I found the most desirable location was the plastic apron below and left of the gauge cluster. The compressor is about 1-7/8" Dia.. There is exactly a 2" square area next to the beak subframe. I drilled a 1/4" pilot hole with a long bit in the center of the area.
    [​IMG]
    Next from below I used a 2" hole saw to cut out the area for the compressor.
    [​IMG]
    New hole was then sanded smooth.
    [​IMG]
    Next I drilled the beak subframe for the compressor mounting bolt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With the compressor in place I used the supplied nut and bolt to secure in place. Had to modify and move wire harness bracket one hole to the rear. The mounting lug on the compressor mated perfectly to the beak subframe.
    [​IMG]
    Filled the approximately 1/16" gap around the compressor with small split wire conduit.
    [​IMG]
    All wiring was sheathed, shrink wrapped, lubed with dielectric grease and soldered where connected to fuse block. Here's the wire from relay to horn.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Removed pannier and rear racks along with all seat mounting to access wire routing to fuse block.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Power to relay from fuse block routed under tank via welding rod.
    [​IMG]
    Relay was tucked in next to beak where all wires were terminated. Two wires from original horn were sheathed together and run along side the hose from the compressor to the Denali. First ground wire was run from the compressor to the beak subframe. More on that later.
    [​IMG]
    Once all the wiring was completed the moment of truth arrived, turned on the ignition and pushed the horn button............NOTHING.
    Further checking discovered the beak was not grounded to the rest of the electrical. Ran another ground wire under the tank back to the battery. NOW it works. VERY LOUD! Nice. Reassembled all panels, racks, lights and bars.
    Final shots with everything back together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Barely visible.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    802mike, BJMoose, TimmyTheHog and 8 others like this.
  3. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    At the BMW MOA National Rally next week, there's an award where you can submit your bike to be judged on various factors and one is "most farkled" do you think I have a chance of winning? I don't want to tie my bike up all day if I'm not even in the running.

The fine print says "we will count them one by one"
  4. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, no offence but you have a ridiculous amount of them...looking forward to the results!
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    It does say "panniers and tank bags are not counted" okay but what about people with Bottle holders, lid racks and other mods to their panniers to be more functional :p :p
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    OOOOH good timing to mention for anyone wanting to say hi to me (or Rosie ) at the national rally.

• I'm attending Thursday StreetMasters Training and Friday Authority training with Rosie.
    • I'll enter in the Saturday bike contest
    • Rosie will at various times be at the Jesse Luggage booth being showed off
    • Rosie will be stationed at the BMW MOV Camping area (strategical next to the Yankee Beemers club camping area because they splurged on a pop-up)

I arrive Tuesday afternoon to drop my sister off at GEARs training and volunteer with setup. If you see a super tall blond 19 year old riding around a dirt bike at GEARs on Wed-Thursday, give her a wave!
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Also...rosie has a Top-Box now :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Zurgg, TimmyTheHog, ADVCWBY and 5 others like this.
  8. Doug Fremder

Doug Fremder 2017.5 BMW R1200GS Triple Black

Oddometer:
    I'd say your odds are good. See you at the Rally next week.
    TimmyTheHog and AdamChandler like this.
  9. Massabusa

Massabusa Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you have a very good chance of winning- You should make out a list as some of the "farkles" aren't visible from the outside...
    Maybe print this entire thread?
    AdamChandler and russ4ru like this.
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Or this post - https://advrider.com/f/threads/adam...adventure-build-thread.1343485/#post-36077799

I keep that one updated. Just reviewed my notes and other than the steering damper being replaced under warranty from Beemershop and the Soundbomb off, that list is pretty darn accurate.

It's between 65-70 Farkles.
    and finally, this play list has 83 videos including updates & driving the bike home so yeah spot on - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc-rhUVUGj8vf7ApoPuS1sIqX8Yivr0OL
    deadflagblues, mikegc and nk14zp like this.
  11. russ4ru

russ4ru All Time n00b.

Oddometer:
    Im planning to be on Thursday at rally !! See you there!!:kumbaya
    Two more bikes are coming with me; they are not members of YB,. is there any problems for them
    to camp with us?

AdamChandler likes this.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The Camp Committee just wanted all clubs to give an estimate. we had 6 rsvp but if 10 people at the gate say they're with us, I don't think it'll be an issue. I'd email Ken or Duncan and check with them.
    russ4ru likes this.
  13. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, do you get an opportunity to ride in the area?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. ADVCWBY

ADVCWBY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you have to remove the grab handles to mount the new top box. Kind of a bummer if so. Looks good!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    NOPE! but I'm only 32. pending losing both legs in a freak deep sea fishing accident with Robert Shaw as my captain, it won't be my last time in TN. I did 1000 miles of North Carolina and TN riding last year and had a blast. I'll go back for sure.

I just found out Rosie has to be in the conference center from 8AM until dinner for the bike judging on Saturday. I can't show up then leave mid-day so that's another day where Rosie is literally stealing the show. I get to ride her all year long (already at 5,000 miles) so she can impress the other riders for 2-3 days. I'm not jealous.

YEP! My only complaint about these well I had 2 complaints. the previous version didn't work with the rear ultra-wide sergeant seat and it's an issue they've fixed. The 2nd complaint is I find the grab handles indispensable for moving the bike around my yard and picking up the bike. I've heard they're considering a way to keep or replace them but Jesse is a small company so these kind of changes take a while. I hope they find a way to bring them back.
    russ4ru, bb82bird and ADVCWBY like this.
  16. ADVCWBY

ADVCWBY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I looked on their site and there is no mention of removal that I could find. My wife works be pissed if I removed those. Hopefully they find another way. Just watched your "broken GS" video where you brought it up. Thanks!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    My GF loves back rests more than handles. Every time she gets on the bike “where do I grab?”

I feel your pain.
    ADVCWBY likes this.
  18. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Booooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggg...:lol3
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately the new owners of Jesse Luggage are no better than the old ones when it comes to pertinent data on their web site.
    Dackrover likes this.
  20. 65SlashTwo

65SlashTwo Da Pigu Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nazzo fast....this troll, errr lurker, err interested party wants to weigh in.
    We discussed this briefly back in this thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/aftermarket-horn-for-14-r1200gsa-lc.1067990/page-6#post-36688327

I was browsing last night and watched a couple of your latest vids on my Roku and saw your shock/damper/horn problem vid.
    First off, I'm sorry that you had to experience these problems; that sucks. Glad the shock problem was only the e-module.
    It did reinforce for me that the location may not be a good place for anyone who might experience a hard front hit, be it a pothole
    or big rock/ downhill step while offroad. My hesitation was initially that repeated contact between the brake line and the horn would
    eventually abrade the hose covering. I absolutely did not forsee the line actually breaking a portion of the horn and twisting it on the
    mount....let alone to the extent of interfering with your steering and taking out the fork dust seal!!
    I still invite anyone looking to mount a Soundbomb to take a look at bolting it to a slightly bent/offset stock horn bracket and shoehorning it
    beneath the right bodywork (in the stock location). Kept tight enough and zip-tying all the wiring securely, it has served me very well with a
    left facing outlet, still projects forward and wakes those cagers up who are zombi-ing thru the drive.
    Mofrid and AdamChandler like this.