AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. MrGone

MrGone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Adam, bike is looking awesome!! I was curious, how much do the panniers weigh?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    russ4ru and AdamChandler like this.
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heavy. Lol

And I’d guess they’re 4 pounds heavier than Jim’s estimate. The challengers feel heavier and I added lid racks and internal luggage bags and a 2 bottle 2L mount bracket and 11 ounces of stickers.
    Mofrid and JimVonBaden like this.
  4. deadflagblues

deadflagblues I need a new bike

Oddometer:
    Adam, any response on your SoundBomb?
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I did get an email back from them

They’re asking for a lot of info, photos and such. I’ll get back to them once I can do what they’re asking. I’ve Been clubbing in Berlin the last 4 nights. Priorities are a bit unmatched with twisted. throttle at the moment. Lol.

I don’t think I’m owed a refund. Nor do I want to mount it in the old location. Maybe they can replace it and I can sell to someone for cheap? Ideally they provide an alternative mount location. I’ve seen a few alternate places and mounts online.
    JimVonBaden and deadflagblues like this.
  6. deadflagblues

deadflagblues I need a new bike

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update, Adam. Enjoy the clubbing! Asking because I'm considering divesting of Denali and moving to Clearwater. Party on!
    mikegc, Carlisja and AdamChandler like this.
  7. MrGone

MrGone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
    :lol2 sounds about right. But fwiw always hearing about how heavy they are vs the aluminum boxes made me wonder about the ammo can ones I made for mine. I took them off two years ago because I could make due with my top box and the bike felt a lot lighter. But I've been thinking of throwing them back on for camping, I weighed one and it came in at 24.2lbs :eekers Then i was thinking about how i could remove some of the metal out of them (there's some double plating in some areas) but I doubt that would even get them below 20lbs. Not sure if I really want to go 50lbs on the bike before even loading them up with junk.

Do you still use your soft luggage setup a fair amount? I saw a BMW setup in the fleamarket but missed out on it, I've otherwise been pondering the Mosko setup but am having a hard time drop that much coin on them (I know all in all it isn't bad but ehhhhh just haven't arrived there yet)
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. Dr Twisty

Dr Twisty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Berlin, NH?
    mikegc and AdamChandler like this.
  9. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Germany...the mother land of our bikes :D
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  10. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The alternate location is in the trash... :jack

Enjoy the rest of your stay Adam, cheers!
    Dackrover and AdamChandler like this.
  11. ADVCWBY

ADVCWBY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm having issues with installing my new racks. First didn't include the bag with longer bolts and now one of the mounts to the bikes frame doesn't line up. Contacted them and they jumped to make it better which is good. But not off to a good start. They need some better eyes to clean off the splatter from the welds before sending off to be powder coated. But the boxes are built very well. I know they are still learning as they grow.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make sure you keep all the bolts very loose until you get them all started. That should help.
    regnaDkciN and ADVCWBY like this.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I was waiting for that comment. In my video I even mentioned. Not NH.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    You seem pretty self-reliant. You'll save a ton of money doing it yourself and it'll take 5x of your setup failing to hit the cost of most pannier setups these days. My entire Jesse setup was over $2000. You can buy and weld a lot of ammo-cans for that.

as for soft-luggage, not at all so far this year but that's primarily because I haven't had any off-road camping weekends which is the only time I'd use my Mosko gear. If the Beta 500 with the Mosko Reckless 40 continues to put in good work and keep me off the GS for our really awesome muddy gnarly off road weekends, I"ll probably continue the trend of phasing out the BC35s. Those were acquired because I'd take my GSA down awful roads and wanted to keep my tent and other things with me but with the beta, I can have a lot more fun and still camp off the bike.
  15. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Because of a job I occasionally do using my bike (see current issue of Motorcyclist Magazine), I bought the Mosko setup with the intent of using them briefly to get used to them and then only as needed for work. My daily use bags were a set of Jesse Bags. I like the Cosmo setup so much that months later they are still on the bike and the Jesse's are gathering dust in the garage. My only complaint t about the Mosko setup is a lack of sticker canvas.
    side-burn and AdamChandler like this.
  16. Corsair84

Corsair84 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What do you like so much about the Mosko setup vs the Jesse Bags?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong. I like them both. I initially thought that the Mosko bags would be fiddly when running errands. But going in and out of them is not significantly more difficult. They are jus as rugged as the Jesse Bags. This weekend, I let my son ride my bike. He dropped it a couple of times. The Jesse Bags would have been scratched. The Mosko Bags show no damage at all. They are lighter. They carry just as much. They are easy to carry into a hotel room like luggage.

The only drawback I have found is that the MoskoBags can't be used as chairs or tables like the Jesse Bags can at a campsite.
    AdamChandler, GrusMC and Gadgetech like this.
  18. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice article. If I see a red GSA with Mosko bags next time I’m in Beaufort, I’ll know who it is.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Threw a leg over at 3:45AM. Heading to Columbus OH today if my butt and back agree.

Will motel it unless I find a friend. :)

[​IMG]
  20. Corsair84

Corsair84 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Adam, or anyone else, If you were going to carry camera gear (tripod, lenses, dslr) how would you carry those? Would a soft bag on the tail be ok?

I'm just starting my offroad life and just unsure of what would keep them acceptably safe. Obviously a hard case would be best and thats possible but it also adds weight.
    AdamChandler likes this.