AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regardless of which format cameras you use, space will be an issue. You'll need to be very selective about what gear you choose to bring. Several years before returning to riding I switched over to µ4/3 gear which makes packing space much less of an issue. If you're going to be doing much off road riding, your gear needs to be protected against shock, vibration, moisture and dust. Pro grade gear will hold up best, but then you're dealing with even bigger and heavier gear.
    AdamChandler and Corsair84 like this.
  2. Corsair84

Corsair84 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's what I was worried about.. I figured there is no 'easy' answer on this. I know some people do tank bags, but that doesn't help with shock / vibration.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    More than one person has custom built foam inserts for their top case to hold a substantial amount of camera gear. Some have done a larger tank bag the same way. Do a search on camera packing ideas on this site.
    AdamChandler and mikegc like this.
  4. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk!!
    You mean the Fatherland.
  5. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spent a lot of money on Rosie's Modifications only to win 2nd place in a Most Farkled Competition. Money can't buy trophies is the lesson learned here. No outrage, just a sobering reminder that you gotta be a little crazy when you want to win an award that goes to crazy people.

He had 151 votes, I had 70.
    [​IMG]

Here's the winner:

[​IMG]

Yes, that's a bra on his tank bag, zip tie holder, crazy reflective patterns, duct tape holing on the aux lights and I have no idea how he fills the gas tank.

PS: Before I sneak back into my hole, lots to share and post to ADVRider but I'm working my way through 2 weeks of actual work I've missed, 10 hours of video, 1100 photos, a completely wiped out server (my blog, emails everything is gone minus a 1 month old backup) and a lot of other things. Sorry I've been quiet this week.
  6. ADVCWBY

ADVCWBY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought for sure you had it in the bag. But you have the most farkled functional bike. They should add a rule that you have to do some laps and whatever falls off does not get counted. Always next year
  7. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I told the owner of that bike. If he wins, I'm putting two bras on my bike next year. That'll show them.
  8. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    That looks like a dumpster in desperate need of a fire...
  9. andynj

andynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you have labels, I feel like the giant labels were the main part of the winning formula!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess I didn't realize there was public voting, I would've stopped by on the way out of town to cast one your way (in vain maybe). Your bike looks a heck of a lot better than his...I mean, how is a guitar a farkle on a bike?
  11. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    I can barely see where the bike is from all that crap strewn all over it... Did they count all of the stickers put on as individual "farkles" too?? :dirtdog

You're moral winner with useful add-ons over all that crap that he put on - therefore I award you 1st place in Adv people's choice awards!! There you has it - feel mo betta now?? :lol3
  12. russ4ru

russ4ru All Time n00b.

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear this Adam but your bike is much better then that black one and more farkled for sure anyways !! I left early on Saturday from rally, I didn’t know it until now.. sad news for sure.. It’s funny but I don’t even know how it’s hell happened not even meet you this time! have been looking for you few times at your camp spot but you wasn’t there.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. m931a2

m931a2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a load of crap on that bike. Those are not farkels, that’s a yard sale on wheels.

14. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I knew they were going to pick that Beverly Hillbilly's bike. I guess tong in cheek wins. Still nice looking bike Adam. You got robbed I tell you, robbed..................
    JimVonBaden and AdamChandler like this.
  15. Ludicrous Speed

Ludicrous Speed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a travesty, imo. Everything you did to your bike was functional. Over the top? Probably, but still functional. Yours still resembles what it is. His bike is just a bunch of crap piled on top of more crap. He probably loses multiple "farkles" every time he rides that thing. At some point, you have to consider quality over quantity, and i'm not even talking about "i spent all my money on Wunderlich and Touratech".
  16. Dug89

Dug89 Amenmoto.com

Oddometer:
    I agree. Adam's bike is farkled. The other bike is what I would call an Art Bike.
  17. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    I had this same strut adjustment error on my COMPLETELY unaltered 2019 1250 GSA HP. Happened about 8-10 times, it seemed always to happen if I turned the ignition off and then back on again quickly (like in the "id just like to perfect this parking job by moving the bike 0.7 inches forward and to the left)...

But it always cleared when restarting.

6K service BMW tech found no reason for it, and they postulated it could be due to the software in my bike needing to be updated, (software too picky according to tech and too willing to throw error codes and put bike into limp mode etc...) which I did not have time to do at that visit.

It has not recurred yet since my service.

PS sorry about your second place finish to that other.... "motorcycle"?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd call it an abomination! An over-farkled bike isn't my taste but I draw the line at a fur seat. I can see how Adam took 2nd to that, which is a category all its own.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. Ludicrous Speed

Ludicrous Speed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should have given this speech, Adam, after accepting the 2nd place ribbon.

AdamChandler likes this.
  20. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Demand A Recount