AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry this took so long. MaxBMW's receipts for your reference. Your mileage (and dealer) may do things differently.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
  3. Corsair84

Corsair84 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I'm forbidden from doing that as the ride is now property of Americade. My assumption though since rides can't be copyright is that when someone joins the tour, they can easily track it on their NAV, InReach or iPhone and share it on ADVRider. I'm just trying to respect the organizers' wishes since I'm one of their guides. No compensation but they asked we don't share routes in advance.
    Corsair84 likes this.
  5. Corsair84

Corsair84 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I get it no worries, thank you :)
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. turnerm

turnerm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont think winning "Most Farkled Bike" is a compliment.
    huck629, glen gs, Wattner and 3 others like this.
  7. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More of a novelty.
  8. Ludicrous Speed

Ludicrous Speed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adam, you've had some time in the saddle at this point, how is the Sargent seat treating you? I had one on my Tiger, and it was decent after it broke in, but it still dug into the back of my thigh a bit, which could some times be uncomfortable on longer rides. So i'm wondering if i should go that route on the GSA.
    Corsair84 likes this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    This is actually my 3rd GS with a Sargent. No complaints at all and my biggest selling point to people would be the standing & sitting design balance is well done. Narrow front for easy standing, wide back for good sitting. It's a compromise but it works on the GS. Corbin/RDL/BMS seats lean more toward the touring fit and Touratech's seats are too standing biased so that's my biggest sell.

I also love the marine-like cover they use. It's a pretty hardy material even against the occasional boot scuff versus leather and it is truly maintenance free.

Sargent I think is the only seat maker offering a 30 day return policy on their seats so I'd say go to them first simply because it's a no-risk buy.
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Proof that attaching a bunch of crap (and I do mean crap) on your bike is more popular that useful and tasteful mods. :deal
    pistole, turnerm, mikegc and 3 others like this.
  11. andynj

andynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @AdamChandler did you have much trouble removing the large screw that holds on the steering damper the first time you removed it? I did mine last night and what should have been an hours job turned into an epic 4 hour battle as that screw was not coming out for anything. Ended up cutting the head and the old damper off and having to extract it with 2nuts. I used every trick in the book, including heat and impact drivers but it was set solid with what turned out to be a ton of red loctite.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought that Max had a dust boot laying around and were not going to charge you for it? :dunno
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Turns out they sell these in pairs and they still charged me for the one. Grand scheme of things, it's only $50.

Personally no. didn't experience that but I'm glad you got it out eventually.
  14. Ludicrous Speed

Ludicrous Speed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had been leaning towards a Saddlemen seat. I might go Sargent again after your comment. From a looks and maintenance standpoint, it was a great seat. They just didn't slope the seat to thigh transition enough (at least enough for me, anyway).

Thanks, Adam!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just at Memphis BMW ... slight divert from the Mississ section of the TAT, a new Touratech installed front and rear by Asheville BMW and suspension strut issue now being looked at and hopefully fixed.
    Second very poor fault "Engine Controller" fault since Friday .. Huntsville BMW had a go Sat morning but fault return 5 miles away from their then closed store so continue along the TAT towards Memphis. Hoping Memphis can get to the bottom of both issues - been here 3 hours and still here :)
  16. m931a2

m931a2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    is this related to the aftermarket shocks that you have installed?
    side-burn likes this.
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Mine were. I think this would be the 3rd Touratech Tractive unit in a few months with a failed control module on this forum all manufactured in 2019 (or at least installed in 2019). I had never heard of an ESA tractive module failing in the past and all the sudden 3 of us at once assuming Mike's issues are with the module (hopefully because replacing the shock would cost him more labor).
  18. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Luckily my TT shocks only required recalibration and I didn’t have to replace the module. Everything is functioning great now and this is by far the best modification I’ve done to my GS.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. m931a2

m931a2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does it make it unrideable or is it just giving you an error and you can't make any changes to the current setting?
    Did it stay at the current setting or change to some default when you got the error? Did you get a "Limp Home Like Mode" once you got the error?
    I know that the KISS (Keep It Simple) crowd would like chime in but I think the benefit is great so long as it allows you to continue your trip if you can't stop to get it looked at right away.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The only loss Mike and I experienced was the Pre-Load motor controlling rear shock lift based on the riders weight (or user preference) would remain in the lowest position. Fine for just me but if I added 100 pounds of luggage of 150 pounds of girlfriend, my bike would not lift to accommodate the weight difference and thus change the geometry. Honestly, in the grand scheme of things, it's just an annoying error but is not a trip-ending situation. There are millions of riders out there w/o pre-load adjustments and those with adjustability on their bikes rarely or never increase pre-load when they add luggage. They just set it and forget it. If there was no error, I'd probably not even notice the motor had failed. when my GF gets on the bike, I like to wait and feel the bike lift under me before we take off. I would have noticed it then but not on a trip when I had full panniers. the error takes up the entire screen every time you start the bike. When I plugged in my OEM shocks, the error went away.