AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enhance:
    [​IMG]
  2. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Can you see into the future w those fancy glasses?? :D

I read somewhere that there won't be any '20 Rolfs - looks like retooling for Mk8 I'd hope?? Or, we got ourselves an instant classic that'll be worth a lot... :lol3
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I'm about to hit my maximum for off-topic posts for today but my girlfriend and I are actually pretty ecstatic

1. Top Tier MK7 Golf R w/ only 42K Miles (and growing at a rate of 2K miles a year due to bike hobby)
    2. Maxed out Sportwagen SEL w/ DAP & Lighting Package

Both cars are no longer made for at least the next 15+ months and the Sportwagen / AllTrack may never return. I shit you not, she gets a call every 2 months from one of the 3 local dealers she's had service done asking to buy the car from her. They're offering 5K over KBB for her ca because an SEL with Bi-Xenons is so rare and customers literally come in asking for them although most prefer AWD which the Sportwagen SEL didn't have due to the overlap with the AllTrack line. but still her car is very nice inside. premium touch everything.

I've toyed with the idea of buying a 2019 special color Golf R w/ the 72K mile warranty and putting 10K miles in it over the next 5 years and then purists who come around wanting a petrol powered manual transmission Golf R will pay top dollar for it as it'll still be under warranty and the only low mile Golf Rs out there in 2023 will be the MK8s with Automatic only, Hybrid motor and digital everything (no buttons). I think there will be some purists who want a manual hot hatch from Germany and my beautiful bright purple manual Golf R will be in high demand. not sure if I'll do it but mine will be paid off soon and a 2019 leftover Golf R w/ the now cancelled 72K mile warranty for 2020s will be a last of its kind. I feel pretty strongly that the MK8 will be "mild Hybrid" with no manual.

so I'm seriously considering it although going from 390/400 HP/Torque to a stock 270/260 Golf R isn't something I'd like to do but I'd have to keep it stock to preserve the VW 72K mile warranty.
  4. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Awesome - ty... Great minds think alike - I knew if anyone has first hand info, that'll be you... :D

Since I won't go for Shifty, there's spare "change" that may go towards last edition AllTrack w manual thus my all stock (short of Neuspeed wheelz) '18 Rolf w manual will keep its low mileage and as such will be worth tons of money as there won't be many out-there... Hefta do some Excel spreadsheet analysis and see what comes out - I'm rubbing my hands of potential windfall coming down my way... :rofl

And now, over to Rosie Toes...:lol3
    AdamChandler likes this.
  5. gadgettr1

gadgettr1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a low. I'll be taking it over to Dave at Twisted Throttle this weekend for him to take a look at it.

Chip
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. gadgettr1

Oddometer:
    So, the Denali guys took a look at my Soundbomb and decided because it was a factory low I can't use the Soundbomb with their bracket. The work around is a split Soundbomb with the compressor mounted behind the left radiator (inside the fairing) and the horn on the lower right crashbar (not sure I'm a fan of that mount location). I'm going to try it out and decide if that is the solution I will keep or if I'm going to go back to my original setup and do some type of modification.

Chip
  7. Jedly

Jedly ‘17 R1200GS Adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seriously? I just bought a whole setup from them — cansmart/d4s/brake light/soundbomb for my 2017 low GSA. Are you saying that they are saying the sounfbomb is now a no go if you have a low suspension?
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Probably depends on your riding. If you never leave the interstate, it'll probably never give you an issue. If you like going over speed bumps or pot holes at high speed or going off road, it could be an issue?
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  9. gadgettr1

Oddometer:
    If you look at my post you'll see what happened to mine. I WAS 2up and hitting it off road pretty hard though. I've had the Soundbomb for a while and never had any issues before that day. I'd prefer to keep the Soundbomb one way or another though. It's an EXTREMELY useful farkle in my area! I may even go back to the original mounting position if I decide I really do not like or trust the split option the way it is wired at the moment. I'll try and post some pics. I'm going to ride it as is to the RA rally in a couple of weeks and after that I'll make my decision on which mounting position I am going to go with.

I'm also thinking of upgrading my shocks to Touratech or Tractive units. But I'd like to know if I can run a toolbox with the TT remote reservoir.

Attached Files:

Jedly and Dackrover like this.
  10. gadgettr1

Oddometer:
    The crew at Twisted Throttle is nothing short of helpful and understanding. Call and talk to Brendan or Dave if you're concerned about your Soundbomb and want to switch it to the split system. I'm lucky enough to live less than an hour away from the factory store. My bike was there all last week for the Denali techs to look at it and try and work out what happened to the horn.

Chip
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I feel the same way. I expected nothing (most aftermarket companies don’t care to help) but twisted throttle really gives a shit
    gadgettr1, mikegc and Jedly like this.
  12. Jedly

Oddometer:
    A35EABFC-DB92-4679-BAC6-852CDE14763A.jpeg
    Good to hear, and I believe it. I just installed and wired mine up today. (Routing under the airbox and tank was the hardest part for me — and getting the leads fed back to the tire pressure sensor unit.). I need to call them tomorrow anyway — I couldn’t download the software to my Mac today. Kept getting an error message that suggested the file was corrupt. I’ll ask them about the clearance of the Soundbomb with a low suspension. I would hate to lose it. Man that thing is LOUD!!! :-)
    gadgettr1, mikegc and AdamChandler like this.
  13. Jedly

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That’s helpful. Meanwhile, what tires are those?
    gadgettr1 and AdamChandler like this.
  14. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adam see you down in Woodstock.

I want a sound bomb but am on a low so I would like to look at your system. Maybe if you go back I can get your split system for my low?
    gadgettr1 and AdamChandler like this.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Ping me when you want to meet up.
  16. gadgettr1

Oddometer:
    E07+’s by Mitas
    Jedly and Huzband like this.
  17. gadgettr1

Oddometer:
    Are you going to the RA?
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  19. gadgettr1

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. gadgettr1

Oddometer:

Did you get in touch with anyone at Twisted? What'd they have to say?
    AdamChandler likes this.