AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. gadgettr1

gadgettr1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recommend putting dielectric grease in all the connectors (especially the ones up front).
    Jedly likes this.
  2. Jedly

Jedly ‘17 R1200GS Adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I talked with Gary who had helped me with my order. He confirmed that they are now saying the GS Adventure bracket is incompatible with low suspension. The tech guys were already gone for the day when we spoke, so he’s going to try to get them on the phone with me tomorrow to explore options. I really don’t want that hunk of plastic hanging off my crash bars. The whole reason I went with the Denali (Cansmart, D4s, brake light and horn) over Clearwater was the seamless integration and the esthetics of keeping the horn out of sight. I am frustrated. We’ll see what they say tomorrow.
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  3. ironsinker

ironsinker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My understanding is dielectric grease is an insulator (prevents electrical current) so you should not use it where metal touches metal. Make the connection and then put the grease around it. Is this right? I see so many conflicting theories on this especially on boat forums cause boat connectors can corrode very quickly.
  4. WillT

WillT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Putting a dielectric grease (d.g.) on the connectors when they are new, clean and dry prevents water and any corrosive electrolyte from ever making contact with the metal parts. The force of the contacts pressing against each other displaces the grease at that point allowing an electrical connection to be made.
    I used to race hare scrambles and enduros in Florida which too frequently meant riding in 2 foot deep water and/or mud. I always took the bike apart when it was new and coated all electrical connections with d.g. before the first ride. Never had an electrical issue (except the occasional fouled plug) in twenty years.
    I am guessing if you get salt on the connector first, then put the d.g. on, then you get corrosion over time.
    mikegc, JimVonBaden and side-burn like this.
  5. gadgettr1

gadgettr1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Let me know what they tell you. Do you off-road a lot with your bike? Mine only hit when FULLY compressed. I think I’m going to just remount it back up and be a little more cautious of fully compressing the front end, or coming up with some kind of bumper.
    Jedly likes this.
  6. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there are so many conflicting theories and opinions all over the place on the interwebs... :D

Here's couple of recommendation from my toolbox for you to try and see what works for you:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013J62A4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BXOGNI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

:thumb
  7. WillT

WillT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20190820_214955.jpg I just had to dig up this picture and take a picture of it. Alligator Enduro, probably 1993. I rode in lots of other ones like it too and so did a lot of other guys who used d.g. It is Florida after all. Water was not an issue with the electronics (had to seal the magneto cover, too). Getting in the airbox, the gas tank, the carburetor, the exhaust was another problem.
    LAFS, ADV67 and Huzband like this.
  8. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I rode that one, too. I've never seen water so deep for so long without being in a boat.
  9. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I have a low suspension 18 gsa and used the sound bomb mini ,connecting it to the Denali can smart( along with the d4 and tail light ) now I left the stock horn wired and in place and just hung the mini off the center front frame ... the mini and stock horn sound together when the horn button is pushed and it is LOUD... almost embarrassingly LOUD... going up I -81 from the MOA rally it was loud enough to keep a 16 wheeler from coming over... I’m like the guy in the beer commercial “ I don’t use my horn much BUT when I do I want to be heard”
    Oh did I say it was cheap and easy to buy and install ! :photog
    gadgettr1 and Jedly like this.
  10. Jedly

Oddometer:
    Will do. I am a bit disappointed that I have not heard back from them. Gary was going to try to get me on the phone with them yesterday and it did not happen. Still have not heard from them. I had my bike all apart in the garage last weekend for the install but I went ahead and buttoned it back up yesterday because I want to ride this weekend. I left the sound bomb in place on the bracket for now. In answer to your question, I just bought this bike used (having been riding a K1600 GTL). While I am sure 90% of my riding will be on pavement, I do want to go off-road, but I am not likely to thrash around much. Most likely my off-road riding will be as tame as I can keep it.
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  11. Jedly

Oddometer:
    That’s the way I have mine set up as well, and I agree — I love how loud it is. I found the install easy, but it took some time (and some nerve) for me to unmount the tank so I could get the wiring under it and back to the cansmart.
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  12. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think we may need a new thread for this.
    gadgettr1, ckindt and side-burn like this.
  13. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Starting at post 26478 on “what have you done to your Gs Gs adv today” https://advrider.com/f/threads/what-have-you-done-to-your-gs-or-gs-adventure-today.836894/page-1324

Over the dozen pages after that I did a photo/ written install on the Denali cansmart ,d4, mini soundbomb and taillight. Along with tank removal, wiring location and even did some sound deadening on the aluminum tank
    Enjoy
    Jedly likes this.
  14. Ranko

Ranko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please help me to understand: are you Starbucks owner and have unlimited budget or what?
  15. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel as though that is a pretty ignorant statement. I mean does it really matter what he does for a living and then decides to do with his money? I feel like in reality this build really isn't much different then a few people on ADVRIDER this one is probably just the best documented.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I don't even like Starbucks :p But seriously, this is my favorite reply to this thread I'm going to add it to the 1st post.

On a more serious note, if you read all of the pages here, I go pretty in depth with what I do for a living, where I'm from, my background, etc. it's pretty much all in here.

[​IMG]
  17. Ranko

Ranko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can also help me, please, to understand why you are feel insulted? ;)
    Dackrover, Pabst and AdamChandler like this.
  18. Ranko

Ranko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am glad that you like my reply, I am flattered :)

To be honest, I didn't read all thread, just a little bit, but I must admit that is impressive build. I have different generation GS, so I didn't read all.

Lot of time and patience spent (and money, but don't tell anyone that I notice ;) ), and yes , its really well documented.

Enjoy your bike ;)
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much. Ride safe, enjoy the bike and thanks for dropping by. There's a lot here to read and I just love talking about mods and sharing tips with others. About to do it again on another bike :)
    mikegc likes this.
  20. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    izzat '19 Rosie Toes 2.0 R1250RT w 719, brown seat and Billet Package?? :clap:clap:clap
    Huzband and AdamChandler like this.