AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. marc11

marc11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope...something smaller....
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Ooooohhhhh,,, such a disappointment... :(:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do want to keep this thread on topic for now. So sorry to be a jerk. but let's keep it Rosie only and I'll hav ea new build thread up soon.
    Dogslobber likes this.
  4. rmarmbruster

rmarmbruster Roba

Oddometer:
    Are you happy with the Anakee Adventure's?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][/QUOTE]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][/QUOTE]
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    krussell and mikegc like this.
  6. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    where was this pic taken? thats an amphib ship..
  7. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like Philadelphia.

Mike
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Mofrid, Ritch814 and Dogslobber like this.
  9. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. gadgettr1

gadgettr1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where did you mount your horn?
  11. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Right in the middle off from of frame .. mini sound bomb comes with the little 3” bracket ... VERY Easy Right next to Vin Number
    From the right side looking down
    468A60C1-D73D-4570-85B2-F889C63633B8.jpeg

From the right side looking up from below

55E38368-9FEC-4C25-84ED-C0166A9B9011.jpeg

From the left side looking up
  12. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Pictures above Right next to VIN #
  13. gadgettr1

gadgettr1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

You’ll probably never have an issue with the horn location.
  14. Jedly

Jedly ‘17 R1200GS Adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    My last post about this on Adam’s thread. (Sorry for the hijack, Adam.) Keith from Denali/Twisted Throttle finally called me this morning. He was candid and said exactly what I would have expected — safety first. He said given my self-described riding habits I may never have an issue, but because they are now aware of the few instances where there has been a clearance issue with the soundbomb mini bracket mounted on a low suspension GSA, they must recommend removal and are happy to refund my purchase price if I decide to return it. The only alternative would be to mount up the split dual tone, but there is no known way to do this in an unexposed way. He did say I may be able to gain some more clearance by trimming the trumpet a bit on the mini, but I think the compressor sits as low as the horn? Will have to take a look again when I get home tonight.

Not sure what I am going to do. Really like the soundbomb mini and really like that it is so hidden.
    gadgettr1 and AdamChandler like this.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Keith is my guy for a lot of questions and I think you're in good hands. Let him know I said hey! :)
    Jedly likes this.
  16. Jedly

Oddometer:
    Apologies again for the hijack, Adam, and if I have not said it previously, thanks for this build thread. I would not have known of this issue but for it.

Cheers!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. Jedly

Oddometer:
    JUST ONE CLARIFICATION: It’s the Soundbomb Compact Dual Tone Horn that I am having the issue with, not the Soundbomb Mini. My bad. Sorry for any confusion.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Rosie and Buzz at a Rally Together. 9/6/2019
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've had Rosie for almost 1 year. She'll finish the first 12 month of ownership with only 11,500 miles by my estimates because I only did rallies this year and didn't take any long touring trips to far off places like last year and the year before. Keeping in mind too, our riding season last year ended 10/27 and started end of April. It was a long winter. Now we have Buzz who is being built up with all kinds of goodies and Rosie continues to chug along doing very well. Lookin forward to ending this riding season with an oil change, tires and valve check before putting her away for the Winter.

Among 'broken' things:
    • The Sargent Heated controller failed but they sent me a new one no questions asked.
    • The dash cam is acting up on the front camera the sometimes loses picture.
    • The ESA Controller on the Tractive shocks failed and was replaced under warranty.
    • The steering Damper from Yacugar had sand ingress and was replaced partially by warranty but I had to pay $39 labor to have that replaced.
    • Machine Art Moto's MudSling had to be removed when I installed the Anakee Adventure tires due to clearance.
    • The locks on my Jesse Challenger boxes were sub-par but Jesse has revised them and promised me a replacement at the end of this year when I mail them my latches.
    • Spokes remain strong thanks to Woody's Wheel works Truing. I may mail them the wheels to be inspected to see how they're looking after 11K miles.
    • I had some issues with Clearwater lights flickering but it seems to have worked itself out after a reset but it may return...who knows. It started happening after a rain storm
    • The Enduristan 4A Tank bag's inner seal has cracked. It's glued and the glue gave way. Super glue fixed it for now but I'm within the 1 year warranty so I plan on mailing it back to them for inspection
    • Speedo Angel's glossy Screen protector has a lot of scratches and the film started to peel away that makes it sheen. But the protector itself is certainly doing its job. I guess that's why they send you 2 in the box?
    • The center pad from TechSpec failed and they sent me a new one no issue.
    • I still love how the Akrapovic sounds but the can is dirty covered in road & dirt grime and almost impossible to keep clean. the Akra sticker has come off the Carbon Fiber heat-guard. the pipe on the inside is lookin very dirty. the whole thing sounds great but The black matte Akra setup is not something you should do for looks if you really ride the bike. Luckily, it's almost always covered by panniers.

All of the gear from AltRider has been completely trouble-free. Just thought I'd mention that :p

Everything else is rock solid!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    bb82bird, LAFS, russ4ru and 1 other person like this.
  19. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well good to her AltRider stuff is holding up.

Had reason to call them recently and understand your looking for stuff for that 750. Sounds like they are going to produce for it but nothing more than a feeling from talking to the owner. He speaks very highly of you. While I did not, I wont repeat what I said on open forum :rofl

Is Jesse still owned by Jesse? I thought I read or heard that they had been sold?

I dearly love my Akra headers and my Remus 8 can. You have saved me some issues there I think. I was going to powder/jet coat the headers but I am going to leave them SS I think. They have not discolored to bad and I love the colors of the welds. My Remus 8 can is brown aluminum with carbon fiber tip and heat guard, and it does catch all the hell of the road as any muffler does. I spray some quick shine on it and it wipes clean very easy. Would a glossy powder/jet coat wipe clean like that?

My thing is I have so many parts on and just about all of them are a shade off. Like the AltRider crash bar supports. They are VERY close but no cigar. Anything I have AltRider which is a few things I would like the same color. My frame hole inserts I would like the same color. My BMW lowering pegs I would like the same color. So a lot of stuff I would like to send off this winter and have made one color so EVERYTHING matches. I may try and find a local powder coater but I really think I want a Jet Coat finish but cost will enter into that.

Again thank you for letting us know what is working and what is not. It is good information for sure.
    AdamChandler and mikegc like this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:

What all of us go through with style over substance is akin to why I don't run any 719 Billet on my bike. It's beautiful until that first time going off pavement and then looks terrible. The GS is made to be dirty and scratched up. Everything eventually gets patina and rust and scratches and scrapes and little cracks here and there and that's just the nature of these bikes mostly because they spend their lives in the rain, mud, dirt and grass and unless you're Mike who tears down his GS to the frame every year, things stay dirty.

I've mostly stopped caring about the looks. There's those initial build photos then just let the bike do its thing. if a black plastic fades to grey, oh well. Like the GS' depreciation, these parts fade much faster than we would like. A $24K bike is suddenly worth $15K and the parts are all gross looking and that's life on a GS. I'd take much better care of an RT or K bike but then again, those bikes wouldn't be leaving pavement.

AltRider....I'm a HUGE fan. They have rarely done wrong by me. They're an incredibly small company and building everything in America. Jesse Luggage and BlackDog fall into that same category. These companies we aren't required to support but as long as their products stay high-quality, we should support them. American made equipment for the small ADV market is a dying breed. boxes out of china and Bulgaria are affordable but every time we buy something from Touratech, Bumot, Brooks and others, we're taking a few meals away from American companies. I have a hard time recommending Jesse Luggage because the cost is so damn high but that sort of comes with the territory. I still think them charging $450 for a rack is too high even if they're welding and forming everything by hand. The quality is great but that's just my opinion. I know after meeting the team in person, it's simple math. When they design a rack for a new bike and sell 50-100 of them, the price of people, parts, support, warranty work, shipping it all adds up to a $450 rack w/ margin. I wouldn't want them to sacrifice quality so if quality stays high I don't mind $1100 for boxes and $450 racks.

Jesse is owned by the guy who used to make most of the parts for Jesse. Jesse retired and sold the company to Sean as Sean was already doing a lot of the work anyway. so it was a good fit. I still think it is and Sean is a hard worker. We spent a few hours talking at the MOA rally over drinks. he's struggling to keep up with all of the new bikes and he does changes all of the time based on customer feedback. I think they have a good team even though they're a super small operation. I hope they survive and keep making boxes. It'd be a big loss to this community to lose them.

I have a huge order in with Twisted Throttle and another huge one with AltRider for the F750. it's not really a new bike but it's taking a while for parts to catch up. A lot of these companies were struggling with the Africa Twin redesign that made them re-do a lot of their parts then the 690 was redesigned then the 790 came out and then the F750/F850 w/ the low models having differences and an 850GSA with its own unique characteristics. We have the R1250RS and R1250GS and the Super T 700 on the horizon. It's a lot of new bikes for these small companies to keep up with. AR's R1250GS parts JUST came out. I'm amazed they're able to keep up.