AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    Those MM BC35s look fantastic on Buzz!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

That was a very hurtful comment about me, Adam.:D Matter of fact, I called AltRider yesterday and ordered their lower crash bars. I mentioned your good luck with them and the lady and I had a nice conversation about your abilities in aiding the community. Good people out there!

Mike
    LAFS likes this.
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lol. I wish I was retired so I could keep my GS as beautiful as you keep yours. Seriously greatly lookin machine !

You probably spoke to Lyndell. I send her an email like once a month w/ photos & kudos. she's probably tired of hearing from me.
    mikegc likes this.
  4. DMack_762

DMack_762 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adam, I pulled up to a gas station the other day. A guy walked up to me and said... "Sir, that is a very beautiful bike, but it's so dirty!"

I just looked at him and said... "Thank you Sir, but a clean GS is a dirty shame."

:)
  5. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adam about the steering stabilizer. Was the contamination more of a fluke, or is it an issue with the design of the seals.

Sand and mud can be high possibilities where I choose to ride more challenging terrain.
  6. Covert

Covert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. When I first started looking into adventure biking a few months ago, I came across your videos on YT which were helpful.

With the aforementioned issue with the MudSling and adventure tires, do you think it's still worth buying? It seems like the times you're rocking the adventure tires is when you'd need it the most.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Machine Art Moto does a nice job of covering tire fitment - https://machineartmoto.com/1200-gsadv_lc-mudsling_lc-knobbies/

It's kind of an issue because if you're running aggressive tires, you're probably going to be throwing mud up on the spring. BMW used to include a mud-guard on the oil head GS bikes. They nixed that and never offered a solution. The tolerance is very tight. Alternative would be R&G's neoprene spring protector but I found after going through water crossings, it held in more dirt than it kept out. I wish I had a solution for people.

Kind of related to my last post which is you'd think a $300-$500 steering stabilizer buyer would be the kind of buyer that would take their GS down sandy back roads. and that they'd account for that. 2 stabilizers a year fail according to Beemershop as in he gets 2 in per year due to a failed seal. I assume he's at least selling 50 a year? maybe 100? Does that mean very few fail or very few GS owners take their bikes in mud / sand? Hard to tell. I'll definitely report back if it fails again.
  8. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. My first solution is going to be a different rear spring. I am similar in weight to you, and I feel a bit too much drift in the front at higher speeds on loose gravel. Recently I have been seeing quite a few posts on stabalizers. The upper mounted ones being the more expensive option
    AdamChandler likes this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    If you diligently spray off your rear shock after off-roading, you (should) be okay. My spring is almost always clean and I never spray it off. after some mud, just go through a river and all good again.
    mikegc likes this.
  10. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I have an upper mounted one and for sure it is more expensive but it also comes with a new triple clamp and includes bar risers/bar backs so that helps off set some of the cost. However, I think either choice works it's just up to the owner what features are more important to them. Kinda like if you upgrade suspension is the ESA or being able to fine tune adjustment more important? There is a cost difference so it just depends on what you feel works best for you.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    @Myll - this is the damper Wade is mentioning: http://www.powercellperformance.com...ing_wp_cron=1568057600.4577639102935791015625

Significantly more expensive than what Beemershop sells (Yacugar / Hyperpro which is really an unbranded Touratech damper for around $300). I'm pretty sure his application Is also significantly better but it's a pretty steep increase.
    WADE-O likes this.
  12. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didnt know that. Currently I went with risers that helped tremendously. Especially accelerating while standing. I've tried to keep the GS/A as stock as possible, but some things just aren't working.

One reason I like this thread. Moat of my money goes to raising a family, but this one helps sort out my hobbies
    Boxerbreath, LAFS and AdamChandler like this.
  13. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with Adam that you can get some great stabilizers for not that much money in comparison to other mods. I live in SoCal and the amount of sand I deal with is tremendous so i valued being able to adjust on the fly as the conditions changed. One thing I like about farkling bikes and this thread is everyone can take away what is important to them and make their bike perfect for their needs.
  14. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Yes we don’t need everything, we have choices ...
  15. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam .. I remember some time ago that you had issues with the Touratech suspension (Rear Shocker).

I had installed on the 2018 GSA by the BMW dealer in June the front and rear top of the range Touratech at a quite high cost in thousands and I had issues with the TFT giving messages about 80 miles after leaving the dealers but it was a weekend so I continued on with my trip and took into the next nearest BMW dealers who stated they had repaired but again 100 miles later I had the same issue and fault so went to the next available BMW dealer who again stated they had fixed the issue ? ... neither had, in reality, fixed the issue ..

I then went as far as I could and the bike has been into another dealer for the 4th time and has been there for 3 weeks.

The issue now seems as though the controller has burned out and it is the cause of the BMW software update that releases more power and cuts off electrically after more amps have been discharged by the controller and that the controller cannot handle or is capable of withstanding. This was an issue found out by Touratech technical last week.

My options now seem to replace the original shocker ? .. or wait for Touratech to build and test a new controller that is compatible with the Touratech.

I bought the Touratechs so as I could complete the TAT and the CDR in August but rode as far as Oklahoma on the TAT and the suspension started to never change no matter which option was requested so had to take into the dealers to have it sorted out.

I guess no blame for anyone as Touratech blame BMW and vice versa as BMW have had issues between their own suspension and the old software and the only fix being the new Software updates and running at a higher voltage and high amperage limitation before they fault to the TFT and go to limp mode .. They never passed the information onto Touratech nor third party dealers ?.

I am just wondering if you had to do a new controller renewal and complete a new download as when I asked for a new controller was informed that even a new controller will burn out as the circuitry needs changing to withstand the changes the software has made.

Looks like my bike is in Oklahoma for longer than I thought ?.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The new controller I received in May has worked since then no issues but I guess we should both be happy that Tractive has identified the problem and is working on a long term fix. Means the issue for me will come back eventually. thanks for the update.
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    1st week of October, Rosie got the Hippo Hands Treatment. These are the Alcan model which are marketed as the largest and most appropriate for big adventure bikes. My concern when buying these was fitment with my MachineArt Moto ADVance Hand Guards. I'm stoked that they fit. Even more so, they fit around all of the other crap I had installed like the RAM arm + perfect squeeze, GoPro remote, sergeant heated seat controller. So these will definitely fit any other hand guards you have. I did have to lower the "winter mode" riser things to the lower position to get a good seating of the foam around the hand guard and it really was a perfect fit. So I'm happy with them. I even rode around at 25F without gloves but with heated grips on and while some cold air did enter through a small gap around the mirror, it was so little that I didn't at all mind riding around w/o gloves. so I can safely wear summer gloves year round now which is awesome because they allow a lot more finger movement and ease of control.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alcan: https://www.hippohands.com/products/alcan-1
    ADVance Hand Guards: https://machineartmoto.com/products/advance-guard/

5% Off Hippo hands w/ Coupon Code - advrider
  18. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    I really want some of those. I think they are a great product, but they scare me. For whatever unfounded reason, the idea of not seeing what is going on under there scares me. I know that sounds stupid, but honestly it is really holding me back from buying a set. Great video btw. "They can't fix stupid" :lol3

Edit: How do you like the double take mirrors? I was thinking about a set. However, I've never had a problem with the stock mirrors hitting anything.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Are you actually afraid of Hippo Hands as in a real fear? That's some deep stuff and something I'm not even going to continue exploring in this thread....it is very concerning.

@Heather_B's truly impromptu laughing at my Hippo hands was hilarious though. Wasn't staged. she walked out and start cracking up.

DoubleTakes are great. They also have an ADVRider discount. I have the SW-motech mirror extenders under them so I can see past my shoulders.
    JakeS likes this.
  20. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    Adam, who makes the bracket for the heat controller seen on the right handlebar?