1. eNewsletter Sign Up

AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. m931a2

m931a2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I expect that it will be too loud for you

They do look fantastic
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually, my last bike-wash of the year (around November), I had the bike running to dry off some of the standing water around the motor. I luckily had JUST dropped the sponge when while sitting on the ground, grabbed the header just past the front of the cylinder head to pull myself up...something I've gotten into a habit of doing when the bike is off in the garage and SIZZZZLE sound erupts and I let go immediately. Thanks to the water on my hand, I suffered zero burns but had I not had wet hands, I would have melted some skin off my palm for sure. Stupid habit but as far as I'm concerned, bad stuff can happen with me and exhausts :p

This is actually my only concern. I don't have problems with fitment and I'm okay that they're not powder-coated but I am very concerned that it's going to be way too loud. I'm about 50/50 on keeping them and I haven't even installed them yet.
    regnaDkciN and mikegc like this.
  3. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    They look beautiful! Really it would be the noise that's the only concern. On my newest Harley I just did high-flow slip-ons and kept the stock headers and air cleaner this time. Sounds nice and rumbly, like a mustang without the drag pipe sound. I'm over the "hey look at me" exhaust. My wife says I've finally grown up...good news since I'm 45 now!
    Dackrover and AdamChandler like this.
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    45? You're still very young. at least 30 more years of riding, maybe 40 if you keep up with strength training.
  5. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    10-4 strength training, off road riding, and diet are something I take seriously! My one vice is beer :lol3
    dirtyoffroad, LAFS and AdamChandler like this.
  6. thanassis

thanassis R 1250GS HP

Oddometer:
    Very, very nice! Congratulation.

Are you going to re-map the ECU?
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    On the water-cooled GS, It's not necessary it'll adjust over the course of a tank of fuel. There are GS Tunes but they void the warranty which I have over 2 years left so I'm gonna hold off on that for now. I actually feel like one of the few who likes the stock fueling & torque curve of the water cooled boxer. Plenty of other bikes out there w/ more power at the top end.
    thanassis likes this.
  8. bb82bird

bb82bird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my 2017 GSA with stock exhaust I have 2 noticeable flat spots under wot going to redline. Some day I would like to have max do a tune even if I still have the stock exhaust.
    texas123 and AdamChandler like this.
  9. andynj

andynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same headers and the bike ran OK without fueling changes but you could feel it was a bit lean, I put on the XIED's and after some fiddling with the dials it feels pretty good now. They easy to remove if you need to have warranty work done although I never have bothered to remove them when its been in and they have never said anything to me.
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Based on what I've ready so far, I thought XIED's modules work initially but the bike eventually adjusts to compensate it. I could be wrong, I just thought those air to fuel variable just get cancelled out once you're a tank or two in.
  11. m931a2

m931a2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have it backwards Adam, The Booster Plug is the one that stops working after the system adapts to it.
    The AF XiED pushes the O2 sensor reading to the right a little and computer thinks it's under fueled and adds a little more.

Most of the chat on it is located here https://advrider.com/f/threads/2004...af-xied-for-bmw.749080/page-112#post-39161620

They have been talking about this for almost 10 years and most of the chat now is about how to fix the issue with the Euro 5 system and the 3rd O2 sensor behind the Cat. As you don't have a 1250 it doesn't really apply to you.

Like every change there is something that you need to do different.
    Once you turn on the key you should start the engine within 10 sec. When you make a change it will take a tank or 2 for the bike to improve. I only really notice it at low RPM's and taking off from a light. As that was the only problem I have had, I really liked the improvement.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the correction. I still don't think that's for me personally but this helps me have a better understanding with how it works.
  13. gadgettr1

gadgettr1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the sound of my Ti headers and dB killerless end an :)
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Shout out to Jesse Luggage. They used my bike as a demo bike at the MOA National Rally in June. Ryan and Sean noted my latches were not built to their specification and needed to be refurbished. I had received one of the very first (possibly demo only) boxes off the line at no charge to me (disclosed earlier in this thread like over a year ago) of their new Challenger line.

Either way, they offered to replace the latches and I said "wait until Winter" I had totally forgotten about this but today I got a shipping notification for side and top case latches (5 in total) and a refurbish weather seal kit coming to me in a few days.

This of course could entirely just be me receiving special treatment but honestly, I'm amazed they remembered me to send this out. Looking forward to seeing how the new latches compare but I was assured at the rally, every challenger that is out there had the revised ones already.

EDIT: What was wrong with mine? JVB noticed it as early as April at his TechDay but the latches would get off-rail or out of line and you'd close it and it'd take a pry-bar to re-open them. They also were extremely loud when you closed them 2-3x louder than Bumot latches or earlier Odyssey boxes from Jesse Luggage it'd echo through the campground when I'd be packing up at 5AM like a gunshot going off. so the new ones are quieter, tighter tolerances and the screws won't back out over time and there's less of a likelihood to get stuck closed. Also the aluminum latch affixed to lid was revised to not catch and chew away at the box. Here are some photos showing the issues I had:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    If you watch some of the videos you can hear just how loud these were which some people probably like that seal but you can achieve the seal and they added some kind of bumper to not be as loud when closing.

I never really posted about the issues on this thread because as soon as I started having issues, they said only a couple of boxes have these latches and it wasn't really a problem. Sorry guys.
    side-burn, mb289, Geek and 4 others like this.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:

INSTALLED!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Since the AltRider Skid Plate was already taken off, I decided to start the 12,000 Mile service by dumping the oil. I'l do the valves and spark plugs this weekend:
    [​IMG]

Why aren't the Akra Springs installed? Well, that's because it's nearly impossible to install the AltRider Skid Plate with the Akra Springs installed so you have to install one side of the skid plate w/ springs then other side and install springs through the gaps in the skid plate sides using a pick.

The weight difference of the Titanium headers is insane. Thanks @CoastieAM for selling these to me for what I think is a damn good price.
    CoastieAM, andynj, Huzband and 6 others like this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    bb82bird likes this.
  17. andynj

andynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exhaust looks great Adam, just as a note because you bought this used did you use any sealant on the Tail pipe to mid pipe and on the cross pipe and anti seize on the O2 sensors? When you buy new you get both in nice little sachets in the box, maybe you had them still from your last exhaust. I had to use a lot of sealant on my connection to the tailpipe to get it to seal fully I got a lot of popping before that.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I got a pretty good seal w/o their sealant but we'll see on first fire-up. I did use anti-seize on the O2 sensors.

If it pops, I'll just have more projects to work on. Nice since there's not a lot going on this winter on the bike.
    andynj likes this.
  19. CoastieAM

CoastieAM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:

New Latches arrived! Easy Peasy Install. I wanted to do a video comparing the two even though it was a pretty straight forward swap. Just two 4mm Allens, some RTV sealant and some Loctite 242.

The new latches have a narrower clasp on the inside so they don't catch as much and allow a bit more play when closing, they have a permanent Loctite on the side bolts that keep the latch bolts from backing out over time and they have some bumpers that reduce sound.
    bb82bird and mikegc like this.