AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is very nice quality and I love the split screen using a corner for rear view. Nice stuff there.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    Nice. I sort of expect my INNOV K2 to look the same, a little shake and 1080p quality. I'm sure in a couple years there will be 4K versions with really nice stabilization the right size for a motorcycle. I'm installing mine now, and intentionally not taping it in the permanent wiring harness I'm making knowing it will out date quickly and could easily be replaced.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. BigMac75

BigMac75 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam -

Who makes the center stand dolly that you are currently using? I am looking for something similar.

-Marc
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Marc, that looks like the dolly that's available from Legal Speeding.

Mike
    AdamChandler likes this.
  5. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    Hey Adam

Here is a link that you might find useful

6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doesn't appear to log GPX files which is something I've come to LOVE on the RLink. It's accurate and saves my GPX files for at least a year. This is a nice device for just drop it in and go. very simple.

https://monimoto.com
  7. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    I was more thinking of tracking when your bike gets stolen or moved around with.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    True, that for me is the least attractive function of the RLink or this device. I have insurance for that sort of thing and the GS isn't really "stealable" in that it's not easy to load it into a truck w/o some planning and the keyless immobilizer makes selling it outright pretty hard so they'd have to part it out. When traveling, I either sleep under it or put it in the awning / lit area of the hotel I'm staying where their cameras could catch it and I do have the Link text alert if the bike moves, I get a text but where I live, locking doors isn't really a thing, we don't have break-ins or murders I think last murder here was like 15 years ago.

So for me, the RLink is this always on-tracker that stores every GPS location and I can export up to 1 year at a time.

Like it allows me to do this:
    [​IMG]

Now, for the thing you linked to, that'd be great on my dirt bike. The dirt bike is easily stealable. I could go in to pay for gas and it'd be gone laid down in the back of a Subaru in 10 seconds. so that's certainly a better market because the Beta doesn't really need a $150 a year tracking service on it because it only gets ridden 30 hours a year.

Either way, I don't want you to think I'm arguing, just I think I have a different use case than most. RLink is not for security but for personal 'life-logging' which I do with pretty much everything. Hell, I have 9 years of graphs where I map out beer consumption, spending, purchases, same with my car and bikes and places I visit so that's the biggest value of RLink over anything else and its tracking is far more precise than the NAV VI tracking.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  9. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    I get you.
  10. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    Small bikes are more vulnerable
  11. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    BTW I got a 501s in place of a Beta 500 - maybe it was a worse decision.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    totally. I think this product would do well on the dirt bike.

I've never ridden a 501 so no idea but I think all of these bikes are great...I've just found I love riding the beta but I don't like how much more maintenance dirt bikes need versus the GS...I don't think it's unique to the beta I think it's a dirt bike thing. I'm lubing the throttle, replacing grips again, lubing & cleaning chains, cleaning the air filter, changing the oil...again it's like constant maintenance. Take it out for a weekend and tear it down to the frame.
  13. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since you're not happy with the M1, is there a camera system that you would recommend?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The best will be a GoPro Hero Session 5 or Hero 7/8 hooked up to a USB-C Port coming out of your bike in "loop mode" But then you have to turn it on every time you get on the bike as it'll drain your battery.

There is no known fully waterproof dashcam that has the video quality I want. As you can tell...it's really bad.
    Callisto224 likes this.
  15. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I somehow missed this video post on your channel. Just watched it. Terribly disappointing. IMHO if you can't freeze frame a license plate, it's a useless novelty at best. For the price point and install time, it's outrageous.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    ....and it costs $600. I was VERY forgiving of the straight from China non-name units for $200 that are on Amazon. There are a few marketed to bikes. They use cheaper sensors so I was thinking that this is going to blow them away. ThinkWare has been around for a few years, I use their 4 year old dashcam in my car and it's good enough and this is $600 and sucks. I'm not going to remove it because honestly, I don't Know if there's a better option out there.
  17. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is what I currently use (except it's a GoPro Hero 4) powered from the bike. I'm hoping to find a more permanently mounted/powered camera with the quality of the GoPro.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. m931a2

m931a2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam, I saw in another post that you took of you titanium headers.

Are you going to talk it out here or have you posted the details somewhere else?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I am glad I went with the Blueseasky Chinese knock off at $135..... About the same or better quality...I just really want it as a record not planning to use for ride videos. mine also has GPS recording.
    AdamChandler and Callisto224 like this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I've just been too busy riding :) The thing about exhaust is it's clear to me that I put not being a jackass over all else. Today for example, I was slowing our group down a bit on my dirt bike because whe we drive past a house in the middle of the woods with horses or cows, I slow way down so my exhaust is quiet and I don't piss them off. So if I can hear my exhaust, I feel like a total jerk so that's sort of first. Second is I don't like a lot of vibration and put comfort over style / noise and finally I for some reason get ringing in my ears with pretty much every after market exhaust. I use ear plugs but it somehow permeats into my skull. My feet are numb, my arms are numb, my head and shoulders. I start getting a headache and I get a ringing in my ear. Every exhaust I've ever had (even car exhausts) cause the exact same issue for me. But I'm an all day rider today we did 8 hours of riding. I don't mind the noise the first 4-6 hours it's when hour 7 rolls around, I just get sick of the noise.

So....that's what was happening with the Titanium headers and actually I should do a throw back here.

Last year, before JVB's tech day in Virginia (9 hours each way) I installed the Akra Can and I removed those exhaust actuator valve from the OEM headers. I kept the baffle into the muffler but same thing even stock headers w/ that throttle valve thing gone, 65-75MPH on the highway 6 hours in I was hating my exhaust. I put those little GS valve adjuster hoses that adjust hat valve in the headers back in, and I put another 8K miles on the bike w/o any issues. then over this winter, I stupidly threw out the OEM header and went Akra and it was WAY worse than the OEM headers w/o the little actuator valve things.

I should have known better. If OEM + Akra Silencer w/o actuator valve thingy hooked up was too loud, why would I go out and spend $900 on titanium headers? I don't. I'm stupid?

Either way, I put a full tank of gas on the Titanium headers and removed them. I actually paid $600 for them and sold them without any effort for $500 so My loss, someone else's gain.

But the reason for my stupid long answer is because I don't think Akra's Titanium exhaust if flawed. It's amazing quality. I just have a huge aversion to loud noises. I added extra deadening to my Golf after I removed 1 of 2 resonators.

So here we are back at square one. I think that from this point forward, no one should allow me to do any exhaust work. None. It's just clear that I'm an OEM guy through and through. Aftermarket pisses me off after a day of riding.

..and yes my dirt bike has a full exhaust setup no and I don't even want to ride it. I should have learned my lesson. 4th times the charm?