AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    OMG LOL. well played.

Here's a screenshot to all maintenance on the Beta - http://i.imgur.com/2nEKhNT.jpeg

I feel as if I take good care of it but oh well. It's always broken. I expect another $500 bill for this round of service. I'll have exceed the value of the bike with just 2 more years of ownership. I think I've put $2,000 into it and only ridden it 100 hours.

I will probably never ever buy a used dirt bike ever again though. the first 50 hours I didn't own it were seriously abused.
    Mofrid, LANCIVPT, WillT and 2 others like this.
  2. WillT

WillT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never buy a used dirt bike!

"Only ridden on Sundays..."

And never dropped in a creek. Never pressure washed. Never ridden without oil. Oh, and the clutch is great, just as long as you use ATF type F.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. Frank smith

Frank smith R1200GSA, R80RT, 350 EXC-F Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please share details on shock R&R. Need to send mine in as well at some point.
    toramorgan and AdamChandler like this.
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    It was based on a phone conversation but Ted Porter recommended 25-30K miles that shocks be serviced and more often if they're put to 'extreme use' On a phone call with Jeff at BeemerShop after my Colorado trip when I suffered from two instances of "spring strut adjustment faulty" error messages, Jeff mentioned that's happening with people who A) have an older ESA module or B) the motor & shock are very hot from extreme use. Since I had already had my ESA module replaced last May, he mentioned if I'm getting those, I should probably have the shocks serviced every 20-25K miles instead of waiting to 30K. These shocks have 18K miles on this bike and will get another 12,000 next year so I made the decision to send them in so I don't have to tear down the bike during the 6 months of riding we have here in NH.

Turnaround time is 6 days each way for ground shipping + 3-4 days so It's a 2 week downtime.

They'll remove the springs, inspect all of the parts and then they'll ensure the Motors, electronics and valves all work according to spec then they'll replace the oil. I want to say they quoted $150 to do both shocks but that's 100% from memory so don't quote me on that.

I mentioned to Jeff that my ESA motor is showing 'high' on the metal bar on the rear all of the time even with the bike unladen and set to auto. he said that's weird but a 2 year old spring won't have any noticeable sag so he attributed it to maybe the bike's electronics doing something weird. I used the GS_911 to 'calibrate ESA" which fixed the issue so like brake bleeding, I'm going to calibrate that motor every spring now that I know it's quick and should alleviate the symptoms.

I'll definitely post more about the process after it's complete but I probably won't yank the shocks off the bike until January.

that's everything I know :)

PS: found this - https://www.raceshocks.uk/product/tractive-suspension-service/ Not Beemershop but it does break down the Tractive maintenance an authorized dealer will do when you send in shocks. That page says 30,000KM or 18K miles. If you happened to see my Colorado videos, you'll know I ride hard for a 700 pound GS Adventure (plus 260 pound rider before gear) on some of those colored passes and my shock reservoirs are always boiling hot. I definitely put the suspension through its paces.
    Frank smith, Dr Twisty and mikegc like this.
  5. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    @AdamChandler I'd be interested in seeing the documentation/photos of this on your GS
    • Pull front & rear shocks
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    SURE! I need to figure out how best to lay that out so it’s shorter & more useful to people. I have a long form ‘shock install” video but a simple removal that’s a time lapse with captions may be nice for people who want something quick and easy.

Maybe you’re on to something or I am? I think maybe I could re-shoot some of my more popular videos this year but make them as short and succinct as possible. I know Shawn Thomas of BMW mentioned on the latest ADventure Rider Radio he’s working on “2 minute tips” videos for BMW that are coming out soon. Basically DIY videos that are really quick because people like me make videos that are too long.
    m931a2 likes this.
  7. marc11

marc11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is value to the longer videos too however. Sometimes there are videos that are like "so today we will rebuild the engine, after you remove the engine, pull the heads and ...." And you're like WTF, the one thing I needed to see they skipped....

Your front shock video was really good, but there were a few items you skipped that I would have liked to see.

Another item I'd like to see is the pita parts, sometimes people film and say "I skipped that part, bolt was super tight so I had to do this, this a d this, you'll figure it out" but I'd like to see how tight, how much heat, etc as it sets up some expectations going into the job myself.

So details are valuable, what may be more helpful is a video index posing easy access to specific and thus shorter sections for some pepe and a full detailed video for others.
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    All very good advice!
    Mofrid, LANCIVPT, 65SlashTwo and 2 others like this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I definitely want to focus on the hard bolt for a second as that's a great example of why I know why those don't make the cut. I'm filming and then met with a monster bolt with permanent thread locker (shocks, final drive paralever, engine cross-bolt in the frame) and I basically stop recording and get to work on PB Blaster, Heat, patience because stripping a thread is a day ruiner so I sort of get into that mode for like 20 minutes and I'm always covered in grease / lube so then I don't want to get my camera dirty and finally that bolt is out and I can sort of restart. If I had a person filming the work, man that would be great because having a camera person would mean they could move around me and shoot bits that I wouldn't dare stop to record myself. I also know for sure heather won't hang out in the cold basement with me for 2 hours either. .

That's an excellent example of "I'm going to highlight how hard this is and I'll get back to you when I'm passed it"

You'll notice in some recent videos I just speed up everything and edit nothing out and then tell the viewer to just playback on YouTUbe at .25X speed. They can watch all 30 minutes if they want OR skip ahead to the part they're stuck on and then slow down. It's better than a 30 minute video.

Maybe I'll do more live-streams this Winter which some people enjoyed last year. we'll see.
    65SlashTwo and Offcamber like this.
  10. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Let me know if you need a hand....I'm right round the corner. Always up for a winter tech day. If nothing else I can hold the camera :lol3
    mikegc, Carlisja and AdamChandler like this.
  11. ATCguy

ATCguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, you ain't kidding there. Oh sure, I don't mind them either cutting or fast-forwarding thru the routine stuff... and I could care less about how long the video is in total. But I DO want them to show & detail the more difficult steps. I'm in the midst of one of those tight now in my garage.

So I began installing a pair of Clearwater Krista lights yesterday. Opened the box, looked over the paperwork instructions inside (which were REALLY lacking IMO), and then went to YouTube to check out their videos. Found the one where their tech is installing a pair of Ericas & a Billie on a late-model R12GS. I'm thinking, "Cool... this should work better than the printed paperwork instructions."

Everything is good right up until the get to the point of having to zip-tie that friggin relay module behind the steering-stem. In what is definitely the most DIFFICULT part of the installation, they spend a total of 13 seconds on it... like it's nothing. The narration simply stated what needed to be done, and the video showed their tech easily reaching his hands in there and doing it. The first hint that this may be difficult is when they show a still photo of how it should look when in position correctly. If they do that, you figure there's gotta be a reason. But ok... again.. 13 seconds for the entire thing.

Sheet... I spent TWO FRIGGIN HOURS out there yesterday trying to manipulate those zip ties around that small crossbar in that cramped space!! And then when I did manage to finally get them in position, trying to position the module while simultaneously getting the ties around it... well, let's just day I hope I never have to do that again.

Now I know that their tech has probably done that over a hundred times, and has the technique down pat. So how hard would it have been for Clearwater to have spent a few more seconds there detailing what tricks or technique that guy uses to get that thing in there easier?

Ok.. rant over.
  12. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done the same install on a few bikes and have zip-tied it. To date, the easiest method I've used is to make a bracket for the relay out of aluminum and use one of the bolts at the VIN plate to attach it to the bike. I've used double-faced 3M tape for attach the relay to the bracket. Good ol' silicone sealer would work, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the hijack, Adam.

Mike
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. muchrideverygood

muchrideverygood Please send front tires

Oddometer:
    @AdamChandler great build! What tires are you running these days?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Michelin Anakee Adventures are the best tire I've used for Longevity, Grip, Rain and general GS off roading. I'm not talking gnarly ATV trails, I'm just talking, roads that aren't paved and some slippery stuff. They're fantastic.

When it's muddy, rutted, river crossings, then knobbies go on.

The only tire I've yet to try I'm interested in is the Moto-Z Tractionators. They're appealing but until I stop seeing photos of people's tractionators falling apart and cracking, I'm not going to buy them. Everyone I know with them has had cracking. It's a bit too scary.
    mikegc and muchrideverygood like this.
  15. muchrideverygood

muchrideverygood Please send front tires

Oddometer:
    A guy I know (big dirt rider) had a pair of the Dunlop Trailmax tires on his Tiger which look similar to the Tractionators, absolutely loved them.
    LANCIVPT and AdamChandler like this.
  16. ejm4

ejm4 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride the Dunlop Trailmax Missions on my GSA - Awesome tire. If I had to sum it up for @AdamChandler they would be like good homemade scrapple and the best micro brew he could purchase. :-)
    BJMoose and AdamChandler like this.
  17. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
  18. Seajay2112

Seajay2112 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2019 BMW 1250gs would not start! I was a 100 miles from home. Brand new battery. Got my buddy to pick me up take to the auto store and bought a new battery. Reinstalled it, replaced a fuse same thing. No start. Had to tow it home. It’s not right. Something wrong that I cannot fix. Computer?