AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure, in the first 6mins of the TFT video:

Talking about adaptive redline. States cold start redline as indicated is 500rpm.

When you are using menu up to scroll through display options on the top line:

MPG values are tied to the Trip1 & Trip2.

One of the values displayed is average speed (there is a value for Trip1, and Trip2). Adam stated this was related to cruise control.

Speed zone display on the TFT works with either the NAV or Connected App. Nav isn't required.

Granted some of these are nits (redline).

I guess I could go through every video he's posted, but that would be dickish and not really the intent of my post.

Edit: Nice Adam. You can take it as honest feedback or get butt hurt. *shrug
    JimVonBaden, SPX and AdamChandler like this.
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should comment on the video and I'll pin it as a correction. That's what I do with most comments that correct errors. I'm okay with it. I'm not a journalist, I just like making videos. Should I add a disclaimer at the start that these are for entertainment purposes only?

the 500 redline was truly a mis-speak because if you look at the screen, it shows 5,500 maybe the "fifty" in "fifty five hundred" was edited out on accident by me? That's the most likely scenario.
  3. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fair enough, and I will say, I appreciate your comments, as I’m still learning about the TFT.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  4. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    Let me try and restate my intent.

I think it's great you like making videos.

I think your videos are reasonably well done.

Sometimes you make inaccurate statements. This happens to everyone. Some of these seem like it's because you're guessing on camera.

You could put a huge blaze orange "FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY" but it wouldn't matter much. Someone will watch one of your videos and file away what you said as knowledge.

You can do whatever you want, but given that a fair number of people that post in this forum can't be arsed to read the manual for a motorcycle they just spent $25k on. Those people who can't read, also likely won't bother looking at alternate sources either.

You have no responsibility regarding how, or what people do to consume information. But if you are going to put it out there, striving for accuracy is a good thing. Don't you think?
    JimVonBaden, AdamChandler and SPX like this.
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Yes, but in my case I'd just hire someone to review my videos before I publish. The prolific nature of literally everything I put online in text, image, written word, video, sound bites, etc is off the cuff with very little editing or planning. I go and write something and put it out there. I probably wouldn't do it if I had to go through committee since most of what I put out there is done at a financial loss. I don't make any money on the $400 a year I spend on web-hosting for my site, photos, blog and I spend Youtube money on computers, cameras, storage.

A concern of mine this whole time is more content = more people. the more you post, the more people will watch and for the first 5 years of regular YouTube content, no one cared. Until the crash video, I had 3900 people interested in my videos with about 350 views per video. I added 700 new subscribers this week and now 1,000 views for each video in the first 8 hours so now I'm getting very very critical comments from people who I've never interacted with before. Most youtube channels 5 years old with 909 videos have a million subscribers I don't because I don't focus on quality / accuracy but I also actually don't want a million subscribers. I can't put up with the negativity that comes along with that. I like remaining under the radar.

Among the standard "kill yourself" comments, there are some pretty vicious people and I'm doing what I've done for years, I just hide their comments permanently (shadow-banning). That's usually my reaction to any criticisms at all. I think I have 300 people shadow banned on my channel. I'd rather make mistakes than hear from 100 people about making mistakes because they are choosing to consume my content. If my content was forced on them, I'd feel a little bad but they are making a conscious choice to click on something I put out there and then to say "you're wrong" my first response (millennial things?) is to say well, ignore me and you won't have to correct me.

Alternatively, I have no problems with constructive criticisms and I often highlight their comments on the video but it's a fine line between constructive and overall hating like someone's comment that I should just get a dirt bike instead of taking the GS off road, they're right but they aren't really helping. I already have a dirt bike, I still like taking the GS off road. It is constructive but mis-informed and it'd take 10 hours a day to respond to every question I get lately most of which are just repeat questions.

I don't allow comments on my blog and if the videos continue to get more popular, I'll turn off comments permanently there as well. I am a fan of insulating myself more than I am hearing other's opinions. It's a character flaw.

I don't think you mean to be mean but I really don't respond well to the tone you're using and it may just be your tone but adding "don't you think?" on the end when I hear it spoken out loud, I'd never use that kind of tone with anyone in person or online. It sounds mean like me saying "if you stop and think for just one second, you'd realize the error in your ways" instead of just saying to someone "if you look at it this way, you'll see it's misguided" assuming someone didn't stop to think is a form of talking down to them as if they're careless or stupid. Adding those words just isn't a tone I like, I'm trying to put it into the right words but I think you get my point. If you read everything your'e right here, I use an Apple Management style of interacting with people. You don't use negative words like "no, wrong, incorrect" you use mis-direction and positive responses like "I think you're on to something but let's do it this way" It makes people not feel defensive because once you tell someone they're wrong directly or you specific words like "do whatever you want", "pay attention" makes me more defensive it brings us both down a level and we're unlikely to bring each other up and learn from each other once I am on the defense.

If you could remove the negative connotations, I think we'd have a much better interaction. I don't think you meant for it to come off that way and honestly, it's why I have 50+ people on this site set to ignore because their tone to me and others is just really disrespectful.

-----

Back on topic, I'd just encourage you to ignore me and my videos if you feel there are too many errors. That's the most productive way to isolate yourself from my inaccuracies. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying that is probably what is best for both of us.

Edit: perhaps another important thing to note publicly is that we're all GS owners, we're all likely retired or at least have a higher than average hourly billable rate so when people read my thread and take time to read, comment, like, that means a lot to me, just like people who watch the videos. I know their time is likely more valuable than someone reading a build thread of a Japanese sport bike owner. Generalizing? Sure but it's probably accurate. So I don't want people to think I take their time for granted but if my style is off-putting to someone, they likely do have better things to do than waste time on my prolific posting. Thanks everyone for dropping by the thread. I do appreciate that.
    Pongo, TuonoBiker, Nesbocaj and 6 others like this.
  6. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    I still don't get the dislikes on pretty much every video you post... don't like it? Don't watch it... I don't think I've ever disliked a video on YT that wasn't intentionally misleading. Plus if you don't like what I do, tell me why so that I can consider it, you may even have a point (we're all blind to our own weaknesses).

Anyway, we're all butthurt snowflakes if we even mention that we actually care about dislikes on videos (speaking strictly for myself here) but most people don't have the slightest idea about the amount of time and resources that go into making them so I think it's perfectly human to at least want to know where they are coming from.. soapbox over.
    JimVonBaden, Tallbastid and Dackrover like this.
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Plawa, I like your new video BTW! Nice work. mind linking to where you got those concave (convex?) mirrors you use on the double takes?

Here's his video for those who missed it:

(I just 10 days ago allowed the public to see my likes / dislikes on my videos. Had them hidden before. My thought was making it public would cause less dislikes but in fact, dislikes are way up beyond just the increase from the crash video)..looks like subscriber count is off in these metrics but these are about 3 days old from reality.
    [​IMG]
  8. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Thanks! They are just some cheapo stick-on mirrors from AutoZone for maybe $2 a piece.. but they work pretty well.
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I think Touratech can probably do better and only $50 (each) :p

Thanks. I'll check it out.
    JimVonBaden, krussell and Offcamber like this.
  10. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    Adam, keep doing what you're doing. I find your posts and vids both informative and entertaining. I also do my own research and refer to my detailed service manual as necessary before I wrench on my bikes. I just go with the flow here and verify any specifics (usually multiple sources) before acting (torque specs, anyone?).
    Cpl.Goose and gadgettr1 like this.
  11. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have to develop thick skin if you are going to put yourself out there on YouTube. Lots of keyboard jockeys think they know better can do better or are just plane dicks. I commend anyone who is putting out information, there is so much click bate out there it is difficult to distinguish yourself from the crap. If you do it for fun and to maybe help someone else then good on you...who cares what anyone really thinks.
    DutchOne likes this.
  12. AZgman

AZgman Addicted to curves

Oddometer:
    Adam, I give you an A for effort and I do find this thread entertaining, but then I am not thinking about it as an educational source. ;)
    Keep it going man!
    Dackrover likes this.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Now that we're pretty well into the purchasing process here, I think this list deserves updating. I'm keeping the figures fixed but updating things purchased and things that are changed up. Quoting myself so you can see the differences.

[​IMG]

I think of the Current build list, I may regret the exhaust system the most from a price per function standpoint. I won't be selling the OEM headers or silencer because the Akra may prove to not work for me in sound or just longevity. How bad will it show scratches when dropped off road? Will it dent easily? Will it come loose from the clamp, will their included bolt withstand the stress of being rattled a lot off road. Is the Akra can for GSes who never leave Tarmac If so, I'll likely regret the purchase and that would be a $2100 mistake on my part but less learned.

I also have hesitations over the Black Dog footpads. Now seeing them in person, they're huge. they look very comfortable for touring, I'm not sure how I'll like them off road or if they'll allow the lean angle I'm used to.

As with any new modifications, I really can't always trust what others have ridden and want to experience them myself. BDCW's pegs are $100-$150 more expensive than everyone else's except maybe Fastway. I hope that is a figure I feel is worth it once I use them next year.
  14. LookingHard

LookingHard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adam,

Here in the south we have a saying....."I don't have a dog in this fight", and since everything I have is wrapped up in my new Honda NC 750x, clearly this or that part or function on a 20k motorcycle is waaay beyond my math.

That being said, albeit poorly, I enjoy your videos and don't recall you calling yourself an expert. I hope you keep making videos and I will keep watching.

Your enthusiasm is great.

Slo_Rider
  15. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    We Yankees say that too..... and just to be Clear GO Red Sox!:clap:clap :photog
    F16Viper68 likes this.
  16. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    I have Fastways, they are same size as BDCW (if not bigger) and if anything it helps offroad.. but that's mostly down to traction, not size. And considering the reason this thread even exists a bit less of lean angle might not be a bad thing ;)
  17. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that's just a thing people do on YT. Plenty of SRV/Hendrix clips on YT with downvotes on some of the best performances ever given that would drive grown men to tears. Some people are just assholes, and the internet seems to bring them out of the woodwork.

@AdamChandler I just watched your crash vid - glad you're ok man. The app gap is right up the road from me and I've ridden it many times, but have learned to respect that stretch of road greatly. Lots of those corners get sand/gravel on them, it's a pretty sketchy pass and I've seen a number of crashed bikes during busy times. It doesn't look to me like you did anything wrong on that corner - did you determine it to be slippery tires? Oil/Gravel?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:

Final total with shipping:
    [​IMG]

This is in addition to:
    [​IMG]

Is it worth it? We'll see when I get them on the bike and probably 6+ months of riding to see how they hold up with the coating. I do look forward to being the guinea pig for you guys.
    gadgettr1 and Subaruvich like this.
  19. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dude...I see Adam already carefully explained how unduly harsh your comment above was. Just in case you think he was being hypersensitive there...just letting you know you came off pretty badly there to my ears too. Hopefully you are just having a bad day...I will keep an open mind toward you?!?!
  20. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    Taking to PM so as to not shit up this thread further. Adam and I had a brief exchange over PM, and I think we are good. Adam feel free to let me know if that isn't the case.
    AdamChandler likes this.