AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have already signed up for another MSF Advanced course next year. It's been 18 months since my last one so I am going to do it again. Especially on the new bike but it's really hard to unpack still what happened especially with I think 250 comments all conflicting with each other on that video about what I did wrong.

My hypothesis is probably unchanged from what was mentioned in the insurance thread.

I was on the inside line, I've done this tons of times and it's a bad effing habit that I need to stop. Since July, I've seen time and time again the raw videos from my helmet cam which is always running of me resetting my line 3 times per turn. It's lazy and stupid and it causes me to have to lean significantly further than I have to if I had just approached at a good speed and increased throttle.

I did not hit the brakes at all, a lot of people guessed I did but I didn't touch the brakes. My foot is never near the rear brake as BMW's are linked anyway so I only use it down hill off road or if I need to stop ASAP Ill combine front with rear.

This post (link), a day before I crashed and a few PMs with others really is not to be underestimated. The Anakees weren't new they were already used about 1000 miles but put back on the bike by a professional shop and balanced. I immediately felt as if I had made a mistake. I didn't like them on-road at all and only put them on to ride most of September off-road with 3 weekends in a row of trail riding planned.

I have a few photos & videos of scrapping my boots, panniers other bits on pavement with TKC80s. Those things grip like crazy. The wilds are just as good off-road but they are not good for on-road.

When I crashed, I didn't feel like the turn was going to go that sharp, a better line? slower approach? maintain throttle (or increase) throughout the turn? maybe all of those would have helped but at the end of the day, I think the Wilds failed me. I need to be a better rider, I am an amateur but this amateur rider had the bike lined over a hundred times on knobbies but never this far on the Anakee Wilds and I do believe my bike would have been fine if I was on any other tire.

That's really all I have.

Edit: well and to the comments about me narrating instead of riding or having too many distractions, I talk to myself. I was an only child until I was 11 so when my GoPro is going, i'm usually every few minutes saying something out loud to myself so it's just me talking, i'm not talking to have further content because almost 100% of my videos just go into a folder on my NAS never to be seen again. And most commenters don't ride 14K miles a year into the middle of nowhere. my iPhone and Inreach never come on nor do I fiddle with them and the NAV is well it's a NAV. I think some people saw 4 screens as 'distracted riding' but I think among friends here, it's not like that. Then there were the comments about ADV bikes not belonging on twisties, I think you all know how we can collectively disagree with that one.
    LucidiT and Tallbastid like this.
  2. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir. I do not want this to be a thread that constantly has posts removed by moderators. I further brought this thread downhill earlier and I regret that and let's definitely try to move on and back on topic.

I was projecting in general as I am a little beat down this week by YT commenters calling me every name in the book.
    Garrett804 and Dackrover like this.
  3. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fair enough. I get what you are saying btw, it's just your delivery honestly made me cringe a bit. I hold no grudges and am not some hapless white knight out there righting random social wrongs or whatever...just that Adam is a good dude who tries hard, if a bit overly enthusiastically at times. His excess of energy is about the most interesting thing pushing participation in this site forward presently (at least for me and imo). Take care man...sorry I arrived late to an already disposed of minor friction.

Eta: No need for PMs with me...I made my position public since the comment and projected attitude from you was done by you in public. Maybe you might have instead written your first criticism of Adam to him in a PM, if crapping up the thread was actually such a concern, "DON'T YOU THINK?" :lol3
  4. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So @AdamChandler I was looking at the xlsx you posted last page. Are you using the stabilizer with the stock windscreen? Or did I miss what you swapped out for? Also super curious on your feedback with the aftermarket stabilizer. Assuming you felt the stock unit was too plush?

Fair comment, I'm an asshat. Anyone wants to call me a dickhead is free to do so. Adam just respectfully would like that to happen elsewhere.
    Dackrover likes this.
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Ah, thanks for pointing that out. The bike was totaled with the Machine Art moto Slipscreen installed so the Ztechnik Touring Deluxe was safely at home. To reinstall it, I had to re-purchase the stabilizer they make.

Everyone with a stock GSA windscreen (LC) knows that it moves around quite a bit. it's not very stable so I do think the stabilizer would help everyone BUT you can't now just turn the knob to raise it up or down, it's 2 extra fastener bits so it makes moving the screen up a bit more work.
  6. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hrm, have to think on that. I do often adjust mine on the fly. I'll likely wind up with a broken adjuster one of these days from doing so. On warmer days its nice to drop the screen all the way and get a little more airflow through the helmet.
  7. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've never ridden with Anakee's - I'm a huge TKC80 fan, though, and can attest they grip (and wear!) like crazy. I think, in the end, shit happens, and you might drive yourself crazy over analyzing what actually went down. Thankfully you were wearing good gear and not riding stupidly fast, so you're good to go. Bummer about the bike, but it's just an object at the end of the day. I'll shutup now, but I've enjoyed the thread.
    mikegc, Dackrover and AdamChandler like this.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Had to tip the delivery driver today:
    [​IMG]
  9. rtrider

rtrider Lost

Oddometer:
    hmmm . I have the stock on my 17.5 and never notice at move or shake at all up to 85mph (I don't go faster due to it really effs up the front tkc80 if I do). The only thing I'd say is I always have it full up or full down - never somewhere in between. :dunno
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    at speed no, but at a stand-still, you can move it front & back easily. my '09 oil-head never moved. the stabilizer removes that play. not noticeable while on the road.
    Dackrover likes this.
  11. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You actually can open up the shield crank "arms" and tighten the spring mechanism in there a bit, so it's significantly less floppy at rest...but I also added these as an alternate stabilizer, which together make the stock screen (or any other screen for that matter) rock solid at rest or while lofting over obstacles off road:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/43520202.html

and:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/43520302.html
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reading from a detached position, I don't think I saw anyone being douchey, just making honest comments.
  13. cwjb

cwjb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only problem with Wild @ Heart Frame plugs is they skip 2 of the holes for some reason, those remain blank. Other than that, they are very cheap and especially on the upper crash bar holes that are just holes it's a great filler.

-----
    Something to keep in mind about the frame plugs- I had the right side angle plug vibrate out somewhere along the road and take a spare key with it.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    After decades of being in the trenches of various forums and social media, as content creator, commenter, and moderator, it ends up being the reader's perspective that fills in the missing context gaps. While some comments are clearly trolling/douchebaggery, others can be read a variety of different ways. I've lost track of the number of times someone is being helpful and someone else takes it as an attack (and sometimes, vice versa). In my moderating days, I tried to read every comment with three different "motivations" - helpful, neutral, douchebag. If I could read it all three ways, then it stayed. If it really only read one of the three, then it probably was intended in that manner.

I have yet to block any user on any media platform, though I've taken vacations from certain places and have flat out abandoned others (e.g. Facebook). I've had plenty of snarky comments on old youtube stuff, and have come to realize that one could create "perfect" content and someone would find fault or call you names. Nature of the anonymous interwebs. In my case, I either accept that as the reality or I quit putting stuff out there. I've taken both paths at different times...
    LucidiT and JimVonBaden like this.
  15. nostatic

Oddometer:
    It is the same on the GS. I put the ZTechnik stabilizer on my '16, and when I rode the '18 home I realized I'd forgotten how much if flexes at highway speed.
  16. Doug Fremder

Doug Fremder 2017.5 BMW R1200GS Triple Black

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics, I hope you like the new sound. Enjoying the thread...
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Well, that's why I'm trying thee out these - https://advdepot.com/products/pyramid-plastics-frame-end-caps-r1200gs-gsa-lc?variant=20024346372

3 times the cost of wild @heart but has 2 more plugs and looks a bit thicker so it might hold in much better. Won't be installing them until end of Winter though so won't know for a while even though I have them in hand already.
  18. nostatic

Oddometer:
    Since everyone loves meta data, have you considered categorizing all the mods on the spreadsheet by "function" - e.g. performance, comfort, aesthetic?
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    YEP! you beat me to it. I started doing that today actually but then I realized it was time to do house-work so I stopped. Probably next week. I should get a call from Clearwater next week on some pricing inquiries then the list will be comp;ete.
  20. triman11427

triman11427 Mud is my chrome

Oddometer:
    I think it's terrific how you're sharing the ultimate GSA build so we can live vicariously through your credit card. Seriously though, there have been many other great topics that have come up as an unanticipated consequence of your thread. Looking forward to seeing the "fully loaded" bike that results from this project.
    mikegc, JimVonBaden and gadgettr1 like this.