AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. miker325

miker325 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I watched your crash video and was immediately reminded of a crash I had when I was 16 and riding a KZ 650. That was a lot of bike back then (41 years ago). What struck me about your crash, after your crash that is, was you got into a turn that had a decreasing radius and when you hit it, that's when you lost your line.

I did exactly the same thing, only I was in a right had turn without benefit of a guard rail to stop me when my old enemy, centrifugal force, pulled me across the oncoming lane of traffic and over the edge of a hill. I was following my buddy, who was a much better rider, and letting his speed set my speed. Fortunately, there was no oncoming traffic and I left the bike while it was still on the dirt shoulder, so me and my dumb ass 16 year old body were the only things to fly through the air, hitting some low hanging tree branches and landing on a nice soft cushion of... poison oak!

Anyway, it was a learning experience. I don't let riding partners set my speed for my anymore, fast or slow, I pay a lot more attention to warning signs posted in advance of turns, especially turns where the exit isn't visible from the entrance, and I take to heart what I should have taken to heart 47 years ago, break early and accelerate late.

I just wish I was wise enough at 16 to take to heart what my math and physics teachers were trying to convince me of; one day, all the stuff we're trying to teach you really will come in handy. I just didn't know it would be while I was riding like an ass hat on a too fast motorcycle.
    LucidiT and AdamChandler like this.
  2. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    One advantage is at 16 you typically heal pretty quickly.

The decreasing radius turn is the nemesis of many. Back when I instructed on the tracks (cars), it invariably was one thing that gave drivers fits, along with early apexing in general.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I remember one in Los Gatos that almost took me out. In the direction I was traveling you couldn’t tell until you were in it. Still amazed I didn’t go for a ride.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. Coma

Coma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang! Every time I read this thread I have to spend money!

:ricky
  5. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ordered from Max BMW:

Part# |Description | Each | Total
    -------------------|----------------------------------------|------------|---------------------
    4/07129908487 |FILLISTER-HEAD SCREW - M8X30-10.9-MK-Z | $3.85| $15.40
    2/13717728769 |MUFFLER CLAMP - � 68.0 | $4.36| $8.72
    2/13717672313 |MUFFLER CLAMP - D=72MM | $4.41| $8.82
    1/33548522949 |FIT BOLT - M10X52-10.9 MK | $12.95| $12.95
    2/31488550092 |FILLISTER HEAD WITH WASHER - M10X55-10.9| $8.77| $17.54
    1/35217677528 |FILLISTER HEAD SCREW - M8X45 | $5.38| $5.38
    1/07119908207 |FILLISTER-HEAD SCREW - M12X75-10.9-MK | $4.27| $4.27
    1/46517688995 |ISA SCREW - M12X1,5-60-MK | $27.16| $27.16
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SubTotal: $100.24
    Shipping: $0.00 (Free Shipping-$0.00)
    Coupons % Discounts: - ($15.04) (15%)
    Coupons: SAVE15
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TOTAL: $85.20

I've decided to start replacing bolts that I remove from the bike that are load-bearing or require a heat gun to remove. So when I change the shocks for example, I'm not going to re-use the original bolts. Not required but I'll feel better. I also didn't like putting the original muffler clamps back on after removing the tank and air box as they were pretty beat up from me removing them.

Actually, what tool do I need to remove them? I did it with simple pliers and almost broke them:

[​IMG]
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I'm an implant from the Farkle Consortium. We're happy to have your business.
    gadgettr1, Dackrover and Coma like this.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AltRider should just build out your bike for you, frankly...minor loss leader for all the added sales you are bringing them...over $1000 just from me alone.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I just love their equipment. they do pick up the phone when I call which is great and on some things, i was given a small discount for just product loyalty. Nothing super official really but you all have my word that when I put up a video / post where I install something or show it off, I'll always disclose if I got it for a discount from the manufacturer. It's also the law - https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/bus...tcs-endorsement-guides-what-people-are-asking

I’m a blogger. I heard that every time I mention a product on my blog, I have to say whether I got it for free or paid for it myself. Is that true?

No. If you mention a product you paid for yourself, there isn’t an issue. Nor is it an issue if you get the product for free because a store is giving out free samples to its customers.

The FTC is only concerned about endorsements that are made on behalf of a sponsoring advertiser. For example, an endorsement would be covered by the FTC Act if an advertiser – or someone working for an advertiser – pays you or gives you something of value to mention a product. If you receive free products or other perks with the expectation that you’ll promote or discuss the advertiser’s products in your blog, you’re covered. Bloggers who are part of network marketing programs, where they sign up to receive free product samples in exchange for writing about them, also are covered.
    The FTC does not require I indicate how much of a discount I was given on anything but if someone discounts something because of who I am or my audience / exposure, I do need to disclose that. Nothing wrong about getting price breaks so long as they're disclosed.

This is my 3rd bike getting outfitted with AltRider gear. Again, I'm just happy that their stuff is such high quality. I'd buy it regardless.
    gadgettr1 and Dackrover like this.
  10. nostatic

Oddometer:
    First long ride on the Sargent (no welt version). I've had BMS custom seats on the last two GSs, I have to say I prefer this. My butt approves, good call Adam. It is a hair taller than stock, but narrow enough up front to not cause problems.

[​IMG]
  11. pezracer

pezracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks great, I’d be curious to hear what your passenger thinks of the pillion seat as well! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. nostatic

Oddometer:
    It passed the garage test. Hopefully she'll get a few hundred miles on it tomorrow.
    pezracer likes this.
  13. LittleWiggler

LittleWiggler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting feedback on the Anakee Wilds.

I did an off road ride last weekend in western Colorado. It rained the entire time.

I changed from Scorpion's back to some well used (but not dead) Anakee Wilds for the trip. The change was immediately noticeable with the tendency of the Wilds to dive into a turn on pavement.

I ended up trailering the bike behind my RV since I needed a base camp for several days and with the rain I did not feel like tenting for the long weekend. It rained for most of the trip except for the first part of the first day morning ride.

It ended up being a mud fest - sticky mud caked on and the ride ended after half a day. On the way back I stayed behind to to change gear (while off road I shed a jacket, needed it to do the pavement back to base camp). I was doing well over triple digits to catch up in major rain and felt in control the entire time. This was with a very mud encrusted bike and tires.

For me the Wilds are about the best choice for 50/50 or even 70/30 onroad/offroad.

If I am sure I am not going off pavement I really like the Scorpions.
    RunninRanger likes this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The sargent seat w/o a welt looks really good. For those curious, it's $100 to re-cover a Sargent seat (front & rear) at the factory so if you want to change your welt color or go welt-less, not a bad price.
    jbuggyus and gadgettr1 like this.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The wilds absolutely are good off-road tires. No complaints there but where the TKC80s do well on-road as well, the wilds don't.
    Dackrover and Fosters like this.
  16. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +100 on that point...tried and hated the Wilds on twisty pavement. Love me some TKC80s in all conditions...3k mile rear replacements be damned...worth it to me!
  17. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now Adam, what on earth makes you think such a thing about the Wilds? :hmmmmm
    AdamChandler, Dackrover and LAFS like this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    (time-stamp 4:16)

The TKC80s were WAY lower than the Anakee Wilds at the Dragon. Those things treated me so well. We did 1100 miles that week around NC/TN on really twisty roads even ones that were wet in March when it was pretty chilly out (snowed the first day). The TSC/ASC light came on a few times but never broke traction.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Actually, looking at that, I need to just upload the unedited dragon run. That was too much fun to have just put up tiny snippets of it. I was trying to make that trip video series way smaller but ended up cutting out some nice twisties. I have all of the original files still
  20. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I watched the video of your low side it did not appear you were pushing the limit in the corner. I know it is hard to tell such a thing from an onboard camera, but that is the impression I got. It seemed as though you got no warning that the tire was going to give up. I know I will not be trying Wilds anytime soon. I too have run TKC80s for long periods on pavement and always felt confident that they would stay under me.
    Dackrover and AdamChandler like this.