AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. chtucker

chtucker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adam,

I have to ask- you have stated that you intend to keep the bike 98% on the road. I get all the guards/bash plates for the drops, whoops and aesthetics....

But why not go with a street tire? Would a street tire have prevented your low side? Does a street tire provide a larger margin of error?

Even a 90/10 might be more appropriate?

I am biased, and I went 100% street with the Pilot Road 5s. I can say the 1000 miles I put on the K60s weren’t as pleasurable on interstate at 85-90mph as I would have liked. I sped home from SLC to Seattle to get out of oppressive heat (110F degrees at one point)
    Candubrain and Kropotkin like this.
  2. roadrage

roadrage Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not Adam, but he mentions the tires feeling a bit squirrely a few times in the video prior to the low side. I'd say they were warning him.
  3. cug

cug -- Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I must have missed this, which tire was that?
  4. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anakee Wilds
    roadrage and cug like this.
  5. cug

cug -- Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  6. texas_aggie

texas_aggie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the bdcw pegs. Their size is problematic for me.

1. The added length makes reaching the ground harder. I'm about 5'10", and there is a big difference in reach from the stock pegs due to having to spread legs wider to get around the pegs, especially off-road.

2. I have been having missed shifts with my Sidi Adv boots occasionally even though I have raised the shift lever to compensate for them. A friend commented that the width(front to rear) of these pegs changed the geometry of where your boot pivots on the front edge of the peg to shift. I am considering removing them and replacing with the stock pegs for this reason.

3. I never scraped a footpeg on my GS until I installed them. The right side peg has touched down a couple of times in tight corners.

All that being said, if you ride in deep sand or in mud, they increase confidence without a doubt. But be aware that you are sacrificing in other areas to compensate. Mine might end up in the flea market soon.
    slowfall, Dogslobber and AdamChandler like this.
  7. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Unsolicited advice - make a habit of deliberately putting only one foot down when coming to a stop and shifting your butt to that side to give you more reach. If you keep doing that it will become an instinct and will help you when you need to put a foot down offroad (hopefully when stationary). I'm the same height you are, I can barely tippy toe if I tried to put both my feet down but I can reach fine with just one leg, no matter how wide the footpegs are. Plus one firmly planted foot gives you a lot more stability than two feet just about scraping the ground.
  8. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Wilds were warning that they suck in comparison to TKC80s for aggressive twisty rides on tarmac!
    AdamChandler and roadrage like this.
  9. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was the way I was taught to stop on a motorcycle. Left foot down, right foot on rear brake, in first gear, clutch pulled in, watching the mirrors to make sure of your six. Long before I rode tall bikes this was how I was taught. Even on low bikes like a Harley I did this . It is all I know.

If you were on your fourth Russel seat as I am you would already have it ingrained to move forward and one foot down:D
    Starstruck, SPX, AZgman and 1 other person like this.
  10. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The GS will be more of a road bike but on road-trips, we go to off road areas without trying. In NH/VT, if I do fastest route somewhere, I'll spend a bit of time on dirt. It's just normal up here so the guards will just keep the bike safe on those times I miss my kick-stand, park on a hill or take it down some fun roads with my QC friends. It's not going to go gently where my dirt bike does but I still want it protected.

As for tires, the GSA will not be getting knobbies unless I put TKC80s on ahead of a trip that will be mostly off-road. Other than that I'm thinking Rally STRs/ TKC70 and maybe Tractionators. I'd like to prioritize wet traction and longevity and I now have no issue putting road tires on the GS. I now know the bike mostly belongs on-road but I still won't shy away from taking it off road.
  11. vanha

vanha Finnspacko

Oddometer:
    Oh lord, Adams "Red" must be the most farkled pre-shiftcam GSA ever!! I sure hope he doesn't(you don't) crash it too soon..
    This thread is very entertaining:lurk
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Technically, my old bike was the most modified GSA to my knowledge. This bike will be a bit more taste-full I think.
    vanha likes this.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The bike received a few upgrades:

TechSpec Tank Grip Kit w/center TP, Snake Skin (R1200GSA LC) - $80
    Illium Works Shift Extension - $21
    BMW R1200GS Connectivity 2017+ TFT Dashboard Screen Protector - $16 for 2 via Amazon

I also spent a few hours on Sunday detailing the bike top to bottom, fully drying it with my leaf-blower + about a dozen micro-fiber towels then applying clay-bar to all plastic and metal trim pieces and finally applying Nano-Ceramic Coating to all surfaces that will be impacted most by scratches. I also applied the coating to the NAV VI and TFT and it's made a huge difference already in resisting spots. I applied the coating to the screen protector, windscreen and LED Headlight. It's very soft to the touch, very shiny and every surface will resist water, scratches, bugs and marring much better now. I did not apply it to any components that get hot like the exhaust or motor.

Here are a few photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The TFT is now shiny but I wasn't at all blinded by the sun. It looked fine all day but we'll see if I still feel that way later down the road.

The Illium peg isn't solving my Forma Boots issue but it is nice and makes shifting a bit easier but doesn't make the lever go out any further but this Illium is just on here for a few days anyway. It's not a long term solution.

The tech spec set looks great, feels great and will keep most surfaces scratch free to long-term abuse.

I really should spring for XPEL coating I know I'll regret not doing it later but I'm going to put my faith in the nano-ceramic stuff. It's on my car and has treated me pretty well.

Also, this is now the most beautiful GS on aDVRider. COME AT ME! The beauty is short-lived because throughout the winter, it's going to get so much shit attached to it, a lot of the beauty of a very simple, OEM+ GS will be ruined by accessories that hide the motor, frame, exhaust and lightweight and effective tail.
  14. roadrage

Oddometer:
    Where are those plugs when you need em. The bike looks fantastic, but dang those upper crash guards really scream "dammit plug that hole!" ;-)

I am very interested in how the nano ceramic stuff works out. I was reading up about it after you first mentioned it. Seems like it's not necessarily as amazing at scratch abatement as it is keeping water from spotting and keeping surfaces looking cleaner and shinier longer. Did you put the coating directly on the TFT screen or a protector?
    Dackrover likes this.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I have the plugs on - hand already but since I'm removing the crash bars and unbolting the rear shock linkage, I'll install the frame plugs after the bike is fully modified.

I put the coating on the screen then on the protector. Double coat?

My car absolutely has surface scratches but less so without the coating. For full protection, XPEL is the ultimate but I don't want to spend the labor and I most certainly would screw it up doing it myself.
    roadrage likes this.
  16. Doug Fremder

Doug Fremder 2017.5 BMW R1200GS Triple Black

Oddometer:
    Indeed, good advice.
  17. Doug Fremder

Doug Fremder 2017.5 BMW R1200GS Triple Black

Oddometer:
    I'm 95% on road, running TKC70's and could not be happier.

AdamChandler likes this.
  18. roadrage

Oddometer:
    I'll try to avert mine eyes. :)

Will be interesting to see how the coating works - overall. My wifes Subaru got a """"premium paint protection package""" (lots of quotes) But not the dealer F you up the ass deal.... and two bird turds on the hood... totally screwed up the paint. Told the appliers of said """p p p p""" and they said, well it doesn't protect everything. WTF. Two bird turds cleaned up in less than a day. Paint ruined.

Ok. Whiskey speakz :-) IF a nano ceramic product helps protect from this kinda thing Even if I have to apply it I'm in. New paint sucks, it really does. Signing off lol :-}
    Dackrover and AdamChandler like this.
  19. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    fwiw I put TKC70s on my SAS right before I sold it and I really didn't like the way that tire felt on pavement. And I didn't find it was much different than the Scorpions they replaced in the dirt. I know others like them - maybe it was the setup or a wonky pair.
    Dackrover likes this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Shit, I think I have turned this thread into a tire thread.
    LarsM and Norsman like this.