AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    No worries - just post up what oil you're going to use and when you're going to change it :D
  2. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make sure to alternate between Dino, and synthetic. Also only use Napa filters made in Mexico during a waning moon phase.
    bigjohnsd and Doug Fremder like this.
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to report myself for mentioning tires.
  4. roadrage

roadrage Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought it was a nano coating thread :-)
    Dackrover and AdamChandler like this.
  5. roadrage

roadrage Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every time Adam mentions tires, every body drink. :evil
    JimVonBaden and Huckwheat like this.
  6. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't even think God can pardon this sin...
  7. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a pity that BMW can't make a bike that's finished ie farkled to death.
    Then we discuss weight, oooh it's 4 lbs heavier than the previous model but still you put more than that in farkels on the bike.
    Good for you Adam that you have fun doing all this.
    And , yes tyres, just to stay on track,Mitas has decent grip and longevity.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Right that was definitely one of my thoughts in seeing the ShiftCam thread play out. Like it's heavier but just 3-4 modifications and the 1200GS is just as heavy. My BMI is certainly over norm. I could stand to lose about 30 pounds myself. I should just give up beer for the winter and make up the difference of owning a 1250.

One of the BMW podcasts I listen to, likely Adventure rider radio with someone from a bike manufacturer on the show were talking about well-equipped bikes from the factory. It's just not possible. If you look at just 4 profiles of R1200GS customers, they'll each have different needs.

• Iron Butt Rider
    • Dakar Poser (I mean that in a nice way)
    • 2-up weekend touring
    • Commuter
    They're each going to build their bike out differently. I really applaud BMW for making a bike that is so friendly to modifications to allow for people to build it their own way. What I would however like to see if what Beta has done with their BYOB program. BMW sells you a base $17K bike and you can pick your crash bars, shock spring rate, auxiliary lighting, windscreen, luggage options, seat and maybe if you want heated gear outlets or different tires. You'd still pay a bit more than GS MSRP but you wouldn't be paying for accessories on your bike you'd never use.

Their margins are so good on the current bikes that this will never happen.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Someone on GS Boxers sent me these via APO shipment. I love cool cups and beans from places that don't usually make it into syndication like Iraqi beans I've never come across before..so much of the industry is dominated by Africa / South American beans at least what we get state-side.

Off topic but will help fuel modifications to the motorcycle so semi-related :)

[​IMG]
    kleinergti1 likes this.
  10. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Oh, nice.... Not a coffee guy myself, but my wife certainly is. How is it?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    won't know for a month. I vac-sealed it so it wouldn't oxidize too much in the mean-time.
  12. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    It would be interesting to see the weight of each farkle and the before and after total bike weight.

And, do the extra parts change the distribution of weight over each tire... The auto leveling I don’t think would entirely fix that. I made this mistake on my 1150, weight distribution and new farkles now horrible cup a TKC 80. The new Wilber shocks also changed how the bike steers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kropotkin and AdamChandler like this.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I tried to find a truck-scale on our Trans-labrador trip because Im convinced with me + gear and luggage, it was an 1100 pound motorcycle. I couldn't pick it up without taking the luggage off. It was very heavy.

If someone can recommend a scale that can do 50 pounds, I'm happy to measure everything I take off the bike and what I put on so we can find a differential. bonus points to anyone who wants to donate one they're not using. OEM Muffler is off we should measure that and headers compared to the Akra system, same with crash bars, seats, luggage racks, etc.

----

Auto leveling is an over-sold feature. It still only has 3 modes like the old ESA, it just picks them for you. It's not multi-level like 10 different settings so for people who want to dial in pre-load, manual adjustment shock is still superior. All it did was take the guesswork out of 1-up, 2-up, 1up + luggage. Personally, I find the riding modes + ESA settings to be far too simple on the 2018. I miss the 2017 settings.
    tlwood99 likes this.
  14. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    This doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying when in AUTO mode the bike only uses 3 unique preload settings?

EDIT -> My interpretation of the press reelase for the 2017.5 GS introduction where auto leveling was introduced, is that there's more than 3 settings. By settings, I mean the shock preload, not (MIN,AUTO,MAX).

Attached Files:

LAFS and AdamChandler like this.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Well crap.

I called Beemershop but didn't speak with Ted. While the ESA Motors are the same on 2017 & 2018 bikes, but the ECU is handling things differently

2017: ESA Preload is 1-Up, 1-Up + Luggage, 2-Up so 3 distinct pre-load heights
    2018: ESA Preload is Min (lowest setting for optimal flat-footed control), Max (Recommended for off-road), Auto which does truly move around the pre-load min & max depending on the weight but they couldn't tell me if it was 10 pound increments or give me some sort of pre-load rate chart because I'm mostly just curious how many millimeters per pound and how many settings are there in the middle? more than 10?

---
    You are right I just assumed it auto leveled its way to the 3 modes we already had since the shocks themselves were unchanged.
  16. rtrider

rtrider Lost

Oddometer:
    You can buy two bathroom scales from wally world or amazon - there are some that go up to 400lbs for about $25 each - put one under each tire - if you have more than 400lbs on either tire your farkle addiction is probably terminal. :lol3
    rider1150gsadv and AdamChandler like this.
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    This thread is also going to serve as a pre-sales thread for people looking to spend money out of their kids' college funds so like my post before about how much Jet-Hot Charges, I have 2 more pre-sales topics for you all.

One: Sargent Seats out of Jacksonville Florida. They will re-cover and re-welt a seat for you. I have a used seat with silver welt:

"We can recover your seat set with a red welt for 109.95 along with 19.95 return shipping and handling" unless he misunderstood my email, I was asking for front & rear pricing so I assume this is per-seat but it's re-cover and re-welt.

For adding heat to the rear seat, "You would need two part numbers in order to add heat to the rear seat, a controller “95.00” and a heatpad “75.00” and if you wanted to send us the seat we would install the heat pad in it for free."

These prices are as of October 2018 so don't hold sergeant to these prices future Google-search readers. ​

Two: Some Pre-sales Information from Clearwater with some tidbits.

As many of you know my biggest issue with the Darla lights fork-mounted before was that I, a non electrical engineer had to re-wire my Darla lights a few times with them failing. In addition, the release of the Clearwater Dixi lights which had Darla in the middle always on and Selina-Like exterior lights would be perfect because my Clearwater setup was Darla always on and Erica only on when high-beams were engaged (Erica mounted upper crash bars inside).

I inquired about Dixi and unfortunately, they had some caveats. First, Clearwater recommends Dixi mounted on the outside of the crash bars for best stability and no interference with turn signals but this means they are likely to be damaged if the bike is dropped which as you know...well I obviously don't quality.

Inside the crash bar mounting isn't recommended because the size of these would interfere with the front wheel fully compressing and they are quite heavy to be mounted here. Mounting them up top would make the turn signals completely hidden (would be nice if I could use the Dixi as turn signal replacements)

In addition to this, they are now selling a Harness for Erica + Darla that has quick connects so the new Darla shipping now and new harness, you can connect quickly without needing to do any crimping, tapping or electrical tape wrapping. I noticed the new connection when Clearwater sent me a Darla as a warranty replacement on my last bike.

One concern of mine that was never really found was the risk of mounting the Darla on the forks and damaging it in off road crashes. Well, I never had an issue doing this at all.

Finally, Dixi is nice, a great upgrade and good for wiring simplicity since you only have 2 lights instead of 4 but they are each 2 lights in one but if you drop the bike often, it's not going to work and Billie did acknowledge that people are mounting Dixi up and inside the GSA bars but not recommended by them. Finally, the Dixi is a pencil-beam light so while it's more lumens than Erica, it's actually such a tight beam pattern that I may not really like it as much as I did the Erica.

So, they recommended I purchase the new Darlas with new Harness which are quick connect and would be problem free for me. And if I want more light output, I go with a Erica + Sevina combo and both could be mounted inside the upper crash bars without clearance issues and would give me a bit more light closer to what Dixi is capable of with the advantage of being inside mounted in case I drop the bike.

I think that's what I'm going to do. ​
  18. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It might be worth considering the Denali GSA mount. The lights are pulled in, and so protected from drops. The mount itself is very stout, and can be installed when you do the Altrider headlight guard.

Attached Files:

Marshack70, LAFS and gadgettr1 like this.
  19. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to concur...had a set of TKC70s on my prior GS before trading in on my current bike...and was not impressed. On road was, imo, pretty unremarkable in comparison to a fresh set of TKC80s (which i love, in case someone hasn't absorbed that from my prior posts)...meanwhile, offroad the TKC70s are utter crap on any degree of wet or loose...like wearing a set of slicks after about ten feet, in my experience.

Whatever comparative percentage they currently claim for the tire (70/30 - on road to off road, iirc) is waaay more optimistically balanced than the reality (95'ish% onroad, maybe...but in actuality, by TRYING to be both, the on road is a bit compromised too, imo)!

Eta: oops...I see per subsequent posts to nostatic's which I replied to, that I am late to the party today, and we are trying to move past tires as a topic...sorry!
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Ah so grab this mount and throw Dixi / Sevina on it? Interesting.
    gadgettr1 likes this.