AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    Giving serious consideration to the overpriced and out of stock MAM Handguards for my 17 GSA. Adam, you still recommend them? If I recall, you have snapped off the aluminum protection on two of them, right? I don't recall ever reading anywhere where the backbones of the BarkBuster guards actually broke. Talking about the metal here, not plastics. Thoughts?
    Dackrover likes this.
  2. Solo Moto

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. C.a.n.n.o.t. look away...

Congrats on the new bloody red asphalt GSA!

Appreciate your candid postings and videos. Personal fav is how not to break a tire bead.

Seriously, though... Mucho helpful content as I have the same bike you... Had.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Bruce:

Since I know for certain I have your attention in this thread, do you have any suggestions ...beyond removing them, for the decreased airflow and resultant higher running temps (more frequent cooling fan even while at speed) that I am experiencing with your radiator guards on my '16 GS? I thought it was just the summer heat in part...but it is continuing even with cooler fall temps. Zero fan while moving under either riding condition, once I take the guards off. Thanks.

Eta: sorry to interject my own build issue, Adam...but I've mentioned this elsewhere a couple times and did not have the Altrider team take any apparent notice. In actuality, this applies to your new build as well and is indirectly on topic, since we both use Altrider radiator guards (or at least you did on your former steed).
  4. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had Altrider radiator guards on my 2014GS and GSA fan was on constantly. Now on my 2017 GSA I have the OEM plastic $18 each radiator guards fan only comes on if I am stuck in heavy traffic.
    LowOnFuel, JimVonBaden and Dackrover like this.
  5. F16Viper68

F16Viper68 Trapped in the Sandbox! Supporter

Oddometer:
    This list has already cost me $16 (frame plugs) and I think it's going to cost me another $269 for MAM hand guards. You guys are dangerous.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't say bloody to Adam! :deal

:hide
    mikegc, Solo Moto and AdamChandler like this.
  7. Marshack70

Marshack70 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Bruce, Did you make Radiator guards for the 2018? From what I understand the 2014-2017 do not fit the 2018?
  8. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been doing nearly-daily videos on YouTube since 2015. For the first 9 months, every modification I did resulted in me cutting myself. It became a meme that luckily I've grown out of:

[​IMG]

In this instance Jim, I was simply replacing my reverse bulbs on the Golf and cut my finger open pretty good.

the MAM Handguards are really a touchy subject here. Barkbusters are cheaper and by some accounts, stronger. I still think the MAM hand guards are of a superior design, functionally very much superior and they look far more at home on the GSA than Barkbusters. As for resilience to crashing, I broke mine but that was after a few dozen drops and on my last crash, they were very scratched yet not broken. I'll have no issue buying them again.

The only problem with Wild @ Heart Frame plugs is they skip 2 of the holes for some reason, those remain blank. Other than that, they are very cheap and especially on the upper crash bar holes that are just holes it's a great filler.

-----

First orders of the Build thread are complete and unfortunately, it's just replacement gear.

Shoei Neotec II replacing my 4 year old GT-Air
    Klim Badlands Pro jacket replacing my now destroyed Klim Adventure Rally (2011) (too old for Klim to replace under their guarantee so insurance to the rescue on that)
    Klim Badlands Pro Pants replacing my Badlands 2017 pants (replaced for free by Klim)
    Klim Klimate gloves ordered to replace the Adventure Gloves

Next week the AltRider and Clearwater orders will likely be placed.
    gadgettr1, mikegc, Solo Moto and 2 others like this.
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this your T-Shirt?
    [​IMG]

:lol3
    nk14zp, ROAD DAMAGE, mikegc and 2 others like this.
  10. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    inviting incisor attack is no way to limit blood loss...

no, Incisor Attack didn't play Coachella this year. Maybe 2019...
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  11. roadrage

roadrage Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You made it sound like you aren't going to ride the new bike until next Spring. Weather is pretty nice now ain't it?
    nk14zp likes this.
  12. Solo Moto

Oddometer:
    Wild@Heart frame plugs:

https://advdepot.com/collections/r1...art-crash-bar-frame-plugs-9-r1200gs-a-lc-2016

Go crazy (like me) and also purchase this pricey kit to fill in the larger frame holes. It's only money, and you'll have spares to boot. They do provide a more finished look for a deserving machine:

https://advdepot.com/collections/r1...yramid-plastics-frame-end-caps-r1200gs-gsa-lc

BTW, I've been buying my oil and final drive fluid maintenance kits from ADVDepot online. Decent prices, frequent discounts, convenient as hell, and great customer service.
    toramorgan, mikegc and AdamChandler like this.
  13. bowseruni

bowseruni 2018 r1200 GSA

Oddometer:
    Can you get the new shocks to suit the D-ESA?
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Great question. Ted Porter at BeemerShop says with a GS-911 Calibration, the same model Touratech shocks on my 2017 will work with the 2018. If he's wrong though, we'll know pretty damn fast due to errors or the motor not responding to lift requests from the ECU.

I'm on it but right now it's completely stock. I'm not making any changes until the snow flies which could be as early as next week. Winter tires are already on my winter wheels ready to put on the car.
    roadrage likes this.
  15. m931a2

m931a2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to next year to see how this goes.

I took off my bars and put on MAM covers so I'm glad to see that they hold up really well sliding down the road.
    toramorgan and AdamChandler like this.
  16. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently installed BDCW platform pegs on my 1150GS and love them. They came off a wet head, so the same as what you would order. Large and about 1/2” lower which what I was looking for.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. Coma

Coma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me ns
    Ditto. A whole new candy store! :yikes
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need a separate review on the Beta. I am quickly deciding that the GS off road isn’t a great idea. I know how well guys much better than I can ride a GS off road. I’m just getting tired of pulling 600 lbs out of a ditch.

Looking at dual sport options.
    mikegc and AdamChandler like this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The thing is, @scfrank - I've never ridden another dirt bike so the Beta is great but my experience is so limited, my skills so amateur that I really can't be trusted to give a good review. I've ridden the GS and the Beta and more recently an S1000XR and Super Tenere on some demo rides but the beta is 350 pounds lighter than the GS with more suspension travel and only about 50 less horsepower so it's a screamer and a blast off road. Too much power off-road the 390 would be better for that I think but the 500 means I can keep up with traffic on-road and do it comfortably. This thing is pretty damn close to speed as the GS with the only slow-factor being how long it takes me to shift manually as there is no shift-assist.

I think the Beta is a great bike if you're just anti-KTM :p
    Dover and JimVonBaden like this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Rosie accompanied me to the cafe this morning and looked on as I wrote a lengthy post about my first experience with insurance. At 4500 words, I need an editor:

[​IMG]