AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. GrusMC

GrusMC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the winter when you begin to farklerize your bike. Can you take note of the weight of every item you add to the bike?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    I still haven't found a scale I'm happy with but that is the plan.
    GrusMC likes this.
  3. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Get two cheap ass Chinesse scales and weighing the entire bike will be easy. You can calibrate them by using your own weight from a trusted scale. You can do it with only one scale if you put the other wheel on a support of the same height.
  4. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    I feel like I can just "Chandler" something rather than "Googling" or using the ADVrider search function... it's like "Angie's List" for motorcyclist. No really, I appreciate the detail, reviews, financial breakdowns. This is all going in my notebook for a potential 1250 GSA build.
    toramorgan, AZgman and AdamChandler like this.
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    i just hope someone else can take up the torch for detailing their 1250 build like this. I thought I'd do a 1250 but really didn't want to spend the first year of ownership guinea pigging new aftermarket parts for it.
  6. roadrage

roadrage Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some folks adamchandler are better at this detailing and documenting thing than others... I'm lucky to take 5 or 10 pictures on a 2 week vacation, let alone videoing something I think anyone but me would find interesting. To be fair, I'll take a pic of something to help someone who asks for help.

Oh... and no i'm not buying a 1250...
    SPX, JimVonBaden and Norsman like this.
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    ..most people also have lives. I'd wager most of you have better things to do anyway but I am really happy to hear people are getting some value out of the thread. Hey, follow my lead and you'll have enough air-miles to take the misses on a vacation next Summer. just one more set of LEDs and you'll get some free lounge passes :)
  8. roadrage

Oddometer:
    I don't think it's that simple. One, it appears you get out and do a plenty of shit outside of work (can't tell if you actually work j/k) Two, most folks are more self conscience of just rambling or doing things out in public etc Not saying you don't acknowledge that awkward feeling, thinking about you describing after your wreck in the camping area. Not to mention 99.9% of folks who make a video on Youtube are NOT going to make money on it. Some like you figure out how to make it work in your favor. For example I showed my nephew your neotech video and he said, ahhh ok he made it longer than 10 mins. Hell I have no idea about that stuff. Plenty of us know a bunch more about stuff and tend to be treated as "know it alls" in an effort to explain stuff, and at the same time get viewed by those who might know more as internet google experts... :-/ so we tend to shut up, vs doubling down on trying to help etc. Kind of rambly randomish thoughts. %^)
    AdamChandler likes this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Oh I didn't even know longer videos made more money. Hah. Thanks Google.

10. roadrage

Oddometer:
    LOL. yeah 10+ apparently is the magic number. I guess you are natural rambler ;-)
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    MORE BOXES ARRIVED!MORE BOXES ARRIVED! Jet-Hot, Touratech and Billstein (not bike related unfortunately):
    [​IMG]

Well, these boxes I picked up personally in DC yesterday and the GF and I had a great time drinking 20% ABV beers with sangria, cinnamon toast crunch and other weird flavors. We had to pick up over 80 beers we had bought since January but also go to the release party:
    [​IMG]

VERY Close to starting the actual build! I think the boxes all weigh more than the bike.

[​IMG]
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Jet-Hot Off-Road Coating on the Akropovic Stainless Steel Header:
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, they coated to the very edge of where the pipe marries up. Going to call them before I sand it down.
    pezracer likes this.
  13. roadrage

Oddometer:
    4 taps in your "kegerator" more envy for a few of us. You had to "pick up" in Placentia? Dang dude, that's some good beers. When/If I get out your way I'm gonna be PM'ing you about topping off my fluids. Fair warning. ;-)
    elcabong and AdamChandler like this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    New location in DC! I've been a Bruery Member since 2012 and until 2018, I had a buddy who'd mail me 6+ cases a year (what a saint). This year, they added DC as a location.
    roadrage likes this.
  15. roadrage

Oddometer:
    These guys always coat stuff they need to mask. That flange should be no prob. Be forewarned matte black will look like shit after a few rides in the rain and mud. Marks easily.
  16. roadrage

Oddometer:
    Cool, had no idea they opened in DC.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Great, I'll give it a bit more elbow grease then. It will lessen any likelihood of exhaust leaks! yeah, I knew this was going to look bad as far as dirty BUT I wanted black exhaust and I wanted exhaust that wouldn't chip with rocks hitting it all of the time. The bike is rarely washed like twice a year so it's mostly going to be dirty at all times anyway.
  18. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    I’d use plenty of hi temp anti seize, it took me a few days and loads of ingenuity to get mine apart after a couple years.

Loctite 34517 White LB 8036 High-Temperature Anti-Seize Lubricant, -20 Degree F Lower Temperature Rating to 2000 Degree F Upper Temperature Rating, 8 fl. oz. Brush Top Can https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HW82JG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_esN2Bb6QK78GR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. roadrage

Oddometer:
    Yeah i understand the approach. My two experiences with matte black jethot amount to one good, one bad. The hot rod that runs with a hot exhuast turned the black into very light grey and the leading edge is 'bead blasted' almost down to the pipe. Pretty much toast by 25k miles. Dragging the exhaust doesn't help :-). The lower performance bike runs real rich and pipes are fine, but has less than 10k miles on it. In any case, touch them with anything hard or dog forbid melt some fabric on them, its not good. Personally I prefer the polished finishes they do, much more forgiving.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips!

I gotta be honest, I didn't know their off-road coating was matte but if it's the strongest, it'll have to do.
    roadrage likes this.