AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll give them a call next week and find out my options. This is why I wanted to get the header on before Winter though. I'm glad I installed it. Everything else going on the bike I"ve had on a GS before so I don't have any concerns about fitment.
  2. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I did 3 hours of riding today to and from the BMW Vermont club's monthly breakfast. The smoke appears to have gotten much better but there is still a leak...not as bad as the first run.

and guys, this thing is effing loud. I'd advise MOST people don't run the header. The muffler is enough of a sound upgrade, this thing sounds like an angry banshee and I'm not convinced making the boxer motor louder was a very good idea. This isn't a street-triple or inline 4 S1000 or a V-Twin.
    LAFS and Dackrover like this.
  3. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have the insert in the can? Or did you remove it before installing?
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The Akra Baffles are still installed. I kept them in there when some people here said the header makes it twice as loud anyway. I'd wager is like 5 times louder than stock with the header & muffler...and it does shoot flames. My buddies at breakfast said they heard me about 90 seconds away though the hills coming to breakfast.

this definitely makes me rethink ear-plugs. I usually only wear them above 55MPH. I'll need to start wearing them all of the time. The seat and handlebars actually vibrate now, I feel the motor and so if you like it being super loud, the vibration sucks.
  5. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hrm, appreciate the info. I had been considering the full Ti setup, this definitely makes me hesitant. How much vibration? Like massage chair at the mall? Or oil cooled Ducati?

I mostly ride with ear plugs now. I just buy a box of the foam plugs from harbor freight once in a while. The come in sealed baggies per pair. I stuff a handful in each of my jackets.
  6. roadrage

roadrage Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried a Y pipe and Remus can on my 1150 and found it to be way too loud with very little in return. These boxers are very efficient and put out darn close to the max power you're going to be able to use. Also, an open pipe is going to show up as a hole in the torque at lower rpms and any gain is going to be up in the higher RPM. My GS almost immediately melted the left turn signal when I ran the Remus can. I run the Y pipe with stock muffler. Can't see it behind the Jesses anyway. Works good.
  7. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    I buy in bulk and wear a new pair every day. I consider ear plugs to be part of the AGATT setup as once you damage your ears you don't get it back...

http://a.co/d/fWzP6Tu
  8. roadrage

Oddometer:
    gr8grins likes this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    PICTURE TIME! Here are a few photos of the process of installing the Akrapovic Stainless Steel headers for R1200GS LC with Off-Road coating by Jet-Hot. Took about 6 hours total work to get it installed which half of that was correcting the over-spray, hole filling and fitment issues induced by the coating but they do look great (for now)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    LAFS, Stoshu, pezracer and 2 others like this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    This one is worth having its own post in my opinion:
    [​IMG]

The fitment sucks (due to the coating), it smokes exhaust out the side of the bike, it'll show every spec of dirt and mud and you won't even notice it when I install the Jesse Racks, Boxes, AltRider skid plate and bars and I'm not a hooligan and rarely take her over 6500RPM

but damn is it cool. This is certainly one of those modifications that are not personally something I should flaunt or waste my hard-earned money on but I really want to make it work where I can keep this setup on the bike permanently. It's coming off though for the winter so I can hopefully get all of the parts wedged together better before next year's season.

Most of the looks that Akra provides don't mean shit when you're in touring mode. No one is going to know you have a titanium muffler on the bike with all of the boxes, dry bags and gear.

Full resolution images over at Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adamjackson/?
    roadrage, pezracer and Dackrover like this.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:

I have a few sound clips I'll try to get uploaded by tomorrow.
  13. MrGone

MrGone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    where's the leak at? Assuming you didn't take off too much material removing the coating I found with mine just circling all the connections with anti-seize on the install and a few hundred miles and all the leaks stopped. But that was arrow not akro
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The smoke has definitely improved where I can barely see it at all after a few hours of riding. My car is still in the shop so I'm on the bike the next few days. Maybe it'll go away completely.
  15. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well...the can sure looks good...but what a huge ball-smash as to the rest, for what would seem (to me) little in return that would fit my tastes.

You have my deep thanks for your (disappointing and dissuading) report on the install and riding experience with the pipes to date. You do make a wonderful beta tester for some of these pricier products ;-)...and now have officially SAVED at least one person here some significant money -- to counterbalance at least a percentage of the farkle-mania you otherwise do tend to induce!

Sorry it's not been one of your better or more enjoyable upgrade experiences so far!

Eta: iirc, with stock pipes and just the can, I think one can also fit a carbonfiber heat shield / slip cover, no?
    regnaDkciN and AdamChandler like this.
  16. regnaDkciN

regnaDkciN crown bearing @ 60k, clutch @ 69k,HyperPros @ 70k Supporter

Oddometer:
    “Fails” like this will legitimize this whole thread. Hope to see more ;)
    Dackrover and AdamChandler like this.
  17. roadrage

Oddometer:
    As I think I have said before. aftermarket exhaust on these bikes is a terrible investment. Purely aesthetic.

Should have bought a rolex, you'd be better off and could sell and recoup.

But the new can and pipe do look cool.
    Dackrover likes this.
  18. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trembley .. I have the full Ti set up on a 2018 GSA - Ashville Eurosport BMW fit them for me and to be honest there is hardly any noise difference .. I have not noticed any vibration issues either when on smooth roads. I guess when off roads it would be irrelevant anyway but to be honest there is no marked noise nor vibration increase. A slight deeper tone / more resonance but I would not say they were markedly louder.

19. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I am going to take your advice on the header thing. I do not want my ears bleeding. I am sorry for your troubles on the coating though. I hope they can make it right for you.
  20. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adam you should be wearing ear plugs. But then again I am not your mom. Wind noise will kill your hearing quick.

These are what I have used for the last 10 years. There is nothing like them in protecting your hearing. I use the -15 DB filters. I listen to music in the C3 Pro and these enhance your listening experience as nothing else will.

All the money your spending on gear and parts do this to protect your hearing. Trust me when I tell you this is the best money you will spend. A custom molded set of ear plugs are the only way to go. They send you a kit you make your own molds and send them off. It is cool stuff you keep it in the fridge and when ready you work it in your hands and take the impressions.

https://www.earplugstore.com/westone-style-49.html
    Stoshu and regnaDkciN like this.