AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. AZgman

AZgman Addicted to curves

Oddometer:
    While I think you are insane to spend this much money, it will be entertaining to follow your progress and experiences. Maybe, just don't crash so much? ;)
    garthg, vanha, SPX and 1 other person like this.
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spent more on my last bike. It was just over the course of 6 months in the “what have you done” thread and many agreed really mucked up that thread.

Installing less on this bike and in my own thread so people can easily ignore. Good for everyone!
  3. miker325

miker325 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think your next blog should be titled, "A Day In The Life Of Adam Chandler." We know you have a job, so damn man, where do you still find time to do all this writing, cataloging, ordering, installing, fighting with your insurance company, taking pictures, posting blogs, having a girlfriend (who apparently has the patience of a saint)... and even still get time to ride your bike?

Maybe you could do a spreadsheet that lists your daily activities, with stop and start times shown next to each. You look healthy and you seem to be able to spend money on cool stuff, so I think we can safely eliminate meth as the initiator, but I'm guessing the gas station down the street probably runs out of Red Bull on a fairly regular basis after you stop for a fill up? :hmmmmm

Subscribed!
  4. Coma

Coma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^
    He’s 30ish.....

Remember that time? Foggy though it might be. Half marathon’s for fun. Opened the seven mile bridge with a 10k, then time to party!
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Today: (just the seats, not hooking up the heated components yet)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow:
    [​IMG]

After the snow starts falling:

[​IMG]
    Subaruvich likes this.
  6. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you notice the welt on the seat (and do you ride 2-up)? I'm looking at the Sergeants - have gone BMS the last two bikes. Was thinking of ordering without the welts though.
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    "notice" as in feel? Not really. The welt is purely style in my opinion but maybe some seat experts here can sound off on the purpose of it. I am going to send this set I acquired used over to Sargent and have Sargent re-cover it and change the welt to match the racing red color of the bike. They're also going to add heat to the seats.
    RunninRanger likes this.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I'm flattered but that's really a loaded question. I keep a schedule of around 7:30AM to Midnight as far as waking hours. I'm pretty efficient with things though. I outsource most of my mundane tasks (see 4 hour work week by Tim Ferris), I am though incredibly busy pretty much at all times always trying to get something done and I have a very bad habit of monetizing everything I do like I can't just enjoy motorcycles, I have to shoot videos and make YouTube money. same with every other hobby, not just 'into beer' but enter the trading, collecting, selling and traveling for beer and working it into some photography work on the side. I've never had a pure hobby that is just for fun. just not wired that way.

My current blog goes back to 2007 I think. There are blogs from me going back to '99 so one could spend about 2 months of their time going back through a lot of that writing, flickr, beer check-ins, Foursquare check-ins and a few books / news articles I've been interviewed for (last name was "Jackson" until 2013) so could assemble what I think is a pretty interesting white paper but no one should do that. Some Sources 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) I think that could easily assemble the answers you're looking for but it is just super streamlined and I appreciate you noticing.

Day job is managing a 7 person engineering team and it's basically a startup incubator within our company, the only one of its kind where we solve problems without any politics. I have an annual budget and so long as we're producing, we keep our jobs. We literally do our own thing so long as it benefits the company. Nights and weekends, I manage 85 condo/town/house / rental units, Then there's the 3-5 videos a week to YouTube, daily Lightroom photography editing / final cut pro editing, we don't go out so we cook our meals at home so that cuts into time as well, some travel although less than before, plus I track / drag my Golf R and tune that then there's the Beta, the GS, the 1500-2000 bottle beer / wine collection that my girlfriend and I actively manage (and sometimes consume) with trading and travel associated with that um, we have a dog as well and he's pretty chill. also my coffee hobby which i am slowly divesting from due to time constraints, I also spend a hours a week tinkering with / managing my server rack and a few co-located boxes in LA that I use for various tech personal hobbies, there's the blog which gets regular updates. I don't really have any real life friends, my family is all in Florida and I talk to my parents every couple of months so when I'm done with work, I go home and work on personal stuff. Work gives me 8 hours off every 2 weeks of paid time off and I have like 6 weeks saved up right now + every holiday so that helps a lot with getting shit done.

sorry I can't go too much into detail but I do think anyone doing a deep google books / newspaper / blog or image / video search on Adam Jackson / Chandler would find a lot of stuff, some interesting, some stupid.

Oh and PS< I've never tried any drugs except Caffeine and alcohol. I did try cigars once. I bought a few hundred of them, a humidor, got really into it then did try one and realized "gross" and divested pretty fast. Family is just a bunch of hick (or I guess redneck?) farmers from florida. the ones that don't work on their land are cops / postal workers. My mom is dabbling in realty now. My dad has always done fitness / personal training I started working in technology at age 12, started speaking at conferences and traveling to those at age 14 and was a manager at Apple at 18. the rest is history but I do work my ass off. nothing given, etc.

I do appreciate you asking but this is likely the most off-topic we can get on this thread.
  9. glen gs

glen gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Well you did ask didn’t you..................
    JimVonBaden and AdamChandler like this.
  10. AZgman

AZgman Addicted to curves

Oddometer:
    Holy shit Adam! You have lived 2 or 3 lives worth of experiences already. Good for you man! :beer
    Dover, JimVonBaden and AdamChandler like this.
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't sweat it. You have never messed up a thread with your input! I find your information always useful, if only for a foil, but not often.
  12. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    OMG, so much truth here! :deal
    toowoomba and Coma like this.
  13. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Adam is me, 15 years ago! I am much slower now, with wife and life making me reevaluate my priorities!
  14. RunninRanger

RunninRanger Rainy day Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's termed as "self-actualization." Not many can say they have done everything they have desired to do because "life" gets in the way. Some obtain the ability to focus their energy. The earlier in life a person can do this the more they are able to accomplish.
    "Youthful exuberance executed with discipline" was term I've heard at the academy once or twice.
    Good on you Adam, and anyone who possesses these attributes!
    JimVonBaden and AdamChandler like this.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Rosie and I went to the monthly BMW Vermont breakfast. She didn't hold a candle to that beautiful airhead though:

[​IMG]

While there, I put my name in the hat to be on the board of directors for 2019/2020. Hoping to contribute quite a bit if elected
  16. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed!
    Maybe something kitschy like this?

REDLIGHT ROSIE!

[​IMG]

"ALWAYS READY FOR A RIDE"............................................ :evil :lol3

I'm subscribed Adam. This is going to be a fun thread.

RD
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Back on topic so we keep the mods happy:

• Installed a used Sargent Front & Rear seat which is a huge upgrade over stock. These will be re-covered and the welt changed from grey to racing red.
    • Swapped the OEM GSA Rack for an old black powder coated rack i Had laying around from my last bike before I removed it to install the Jesse Luggage Top Box Mount
    • Installed the @BlackDogCycleWorks Luggage Plate which is a fantastic piece of art.
    • Finally, I removed the OEM GSA Luggage Racks as I don't need them and they're pretty ugly without boxes. Since the jesse racks will get installed this Winter, no point in keeping the OEM racks on, I've listed them for sale in the flea market
    All of this work was done with a T40, some 342 Loctite and I think a 10mm socket and 13mm wrench. Easy work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Video of the install:
  18. CA Dreaming

CA Dreaming Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adam,
    Your Golf is probably faster (in top speed) than your GSA but I seriously doubt that it's capable of an 11 second quarter mile.

I beat a Z06 Corvette (505 HP) to 100 mph with my 09 GS. Given another 1/8th mile the Vette would have smoked me.
    Dackrover and Vector Leto like this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The GSA (with me at 250) + my 75 pounds of modifications doesn't feel like an 11 second bike. The car's fastest time on street tires is 11.7. A guy in Jersey with the same setup as me on slicks is doing 11.2-11.3 I'm still on the stock turbo, no issues in 40K miles so far with the motor but it's at 390 WHP and just under 400 lb/ft of torque.

----

I know the GSA says 11 seconds on drag-times but the car feels way faster to me. I bet a base R1200GS without all of the extra weight and me 100 pounds lighter it probably could be that fast. I test-rode a base GS before grabbing this one and it does feel quicker to 60 than this one even stock. The GSA isn't that much heavier so I could be wrong.

I really don't need a faster bike though.

I should add, I really don't have an interest taking the GS to the drag strip either. Maybe I will one day, i just don't really want to go over 120MPH on a motorcycle.
    kleinergti1 likes this.
  20. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Good luck Adam. Local clubs need people like you that have energy and drive. You become the life blood of the organization, if they let you!