AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Dang, watching that video on the part with your bike on it's center stand with the rear wheel off and it rocking forward on you and going over brings back memories.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @AdamChandler - don't go crazy with wire ties. Remember that you have to cut all of them to make changes. Use the ones you need but keeping them to a minimum will prevent an easy mistake taking a long time to make it look right.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, when I went down with my 1150GSA with Jesse Bags on, the left crash/engine guard sustained a few scratches as did the Jesse side bag, both were just cosmetic. No other damage to the bike nor my left leg or hip.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adam I ran every wire that ran through the bike with this stuff on it. Search Amazon for it.
    Keep It Clean 14198 Wire Loom 1/8" Black Ultra Wrap Wire Loom - 10 Feet

I could get up to three pieces of 14 gauge thru it. It is 1/8 but it expands.

You had asked how to seal the ends. Buy a big box of assorted shrink wrap and it has a zillion colors of the size you need to seal 2 and 3 pieces of wire in that loom. I just fed my wire through it burnt the end slipped two pieces on, get one end with the length of wire hanging out with what you need to make your connection, slide a piece up and hit it with a lighter. Rinse and repeat for the other end.

I used like a 30" black wire tie to push through areas and tape the end of wire on it and pull it forward. There are some built in channels you can slip some stuff through.

Also you can pull the front seat adjuster against the tank off with a few bolts and it will help to get your wire bundles up each side if that is what you want.

How are your soldering skills? Mine suck but EVERY connection is soldered. Shrink wrapped, and taped if needed. Liquid tape is some really cool stuff if you put it on in coats, and stay the hell away from it until each coat dries.

Sometimes it is better to make longer runs as you have more room to route and lay, or coil the wire around to various areas so all your runs are not bunched up and the runs lay flat.
    kleinergti1 likes this.
  6. Beairmo

Beairmo Keeping it real Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just watched your video in #781... Why are you riding a R1200GSA?....and not a drz lol.

I added to your post earlier about the GS vs the KTM Adventure bikes. And agreed with you.

But imho you are beating the crap out of your bike. Yes, it can handle those DIRT trails. But is it at all fun? Don't you cringe thinking of the hundreds of $$$ you just destroyed when it goes down? I do for sure. The biggest one for me is keeping the wheels true. I ride a lot of interstate and hate to think I would have a bent rim from off-road riding.

But I understand if you simply enjoy the challenge of taking the big bike off-road. Then the joy of fixing everything you broke. And for that WE THANK YOU for the entertainment!
    Motodoc and AdamChandler like this.
  7. Bobo

Bobo Are we there yet? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's kinda what I don't like. To each there own!
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    That's why I have a dirt bike now:
    [​IMG]

I still push the GS harder than most with the ONLY reason being that it's a blast owning a GSA because I spend all day off road with my dual sport friends (skipping the muddy water crossings) then they setup camp or get a hotel and I hop on the interstate, turn on the heated grips and cruise control and sleep in my own bed. When we do day-trips on the dirt-bikes, I am not riding 8 hours north on trails and then doing 2 hours of buzzy interstate home. I love the Beta but the GS is still the best all around bike for me. It sucks picking it up, it sucks navigating mud and baby-head inclines but like Plawa on here, he rides his GS in faraway places because it's better than trailering your dirt bike somewhere when you can just ride there on the GS.

If I was a one-bike person, I'd probably own an F850GSA or an R1200GS Rally as a nice middle ground.

If I were to add another bike to the garage, I'm torn between the new KTM 690 Enduro as a middle-weight ADV bike that sits between the Beta and the GS or a more basic commuter bike like a Street Triple or an FZ-09.
    Starstruck, Motodoc and Plawa like this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:

Thanks for the tips. No soldering skills but I do already own that shrink-wrap stuff and a heat gun. good tip! A mistake I made last time, beautiful wiring before testing :p I'll make sure I test it first.
  10. Beairmo

Beairmo Keeping it real Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is what I have been wanting to do for quite a while. I had the hitch for my K1600 and trailer, but was warned it would void the warranty. But someday I will get this setup to pull my dirtbike behind my GSA.

[​IMG]
    SPX and AdamChandler like this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Whoo, 40 pages. Almost 50,000 views. I really need to say thank you to everyone for helping me stay on-topic and for staying very supportive. I was nervous putting up this build thread for the possible negative attention it would bring but I feel as if everyone has been respectful, helpful and honest and it has really helped me out. 40 pages in but we really haven't started the core of the build yet so I wanted to throw a bit of my thought process here to get others' opinions on the upcoming modifications (now that we have 7 inches of snow on the forecast).

First, everything the bike needs is in-hand except the Jesse Luggage setup which will be dead last and since their Challenger case is brand new, this will give them a few production runs before I purchase and maybe there are kinks to work out. I also offered to do some testing of their Challenger top case and I hope they'll make it quick-release but I'm just one guy and possibly not representative of most Jesse Luggage owners.

----

Order of modifications that will allow the least amount of re-screwing / torquing bolts:

Tear down the bike and install front & Rear Touratech Shocks (No video for this modification as it's already been shot)
    While the fuel tank is removed, install PDM60, CanOpener, USB Ports, Heated Seat wiring and perform cable management (Video since I didn't shoot one for the Clearwater install last year)
    While tank is off, install:
    -Rox Risers
    -AltRider Headlight guard brackets
    -Ztech Windscreen stabilizer Bracket
    -Tank bag velcro pieces
    -Denali Soundbomb
    -Machine Art Moto X-Head

I'll have the header off the bike and I'm taking it to a local machine shop to have them sand down all of the Jet-Hot coated pieces and try to get it re-assembled without leaks. So they'll pressure/smoke test it as well for leaks and maybe remove all of the Anti-Seize.

While the upper crash bars are off, re-affix fuel tank and install AltRider Crash Bars + Skid Plate (Video since I didn't do one for lower bars & skid plate and AltRider did want at least a skid plate video from my last year and I didn't do one)

AT this point, the major surgery items are done.
    Bike mostly re-assembled
    Then drop final drive and lubricate
    Install Final Drive guard + sliders
    Mount clearwater lights and connect to cables

Then, we're only talking about pointless-modifications that are fun / visually pleasing
    Various Touratech guards
    AltRider Guards
    Machine Art Moto Handguards + grip-puppies
    Machine Art mud-sling
    Gumby
    Coffee Cup carrier
    STICKERS
    Pegs
    Shifter

I'll by now have the Sargent Seat back re-covered, re-welted and can put it back on the bike. Going for a red-welt I think. Not sure I'll add heat to the rear seat since I'd have to find a place to mount the rear heat controller. My GF would appreciate it I just don't think she'll ever use it enough to justify the complication of mounting a controller and that seat pulling power away from my massive LED Array.

Then, order racks + boxes from Jesse Luggage and then look at finances and time-frame and decide if I I have $$$ and 4 weeks of time to have @woody's wheel works re-lace and re-true the 2018 Spoked wheels. I wish they were local because I'd love to shoot a video at their shop but not sure I can swing a trip to CO. Too many exes live there :)

That's it for now, just a bit of transparency as we finally enter the modification part of things.

In other news, I moved the Sonos speakers downstairs so I can get some good tunes going and I added this beauty to my arsenal which will make pulling up PDFs and Youtube videos much easier downstairs:
    [​IMG]

Having owned every iPad since 2010, this is by far the most useful and leap-forward I've ever experienced and a true laptop replacement for most casual Internet users. Highly recommended to those of you who travel. I used ONLY my iPad Pro on my Trans-Labrador trip but at the time, no keyboard cover and I could't really get work done on it. With the keyboard, I type almost as fast as I do on my iMac's full size keyboard. This thing with LTE is a road-monster for editing photos & videos, posting blogs, etc. Highly recommended. That and the iPhone XS camera is a huge leap forward. I can certainly leave the DSLR at home a bit more than I used to but not fully a camera replacement just yet.

I am first and foremost a tech nerd so it's been a great journey to see Apple's transition from a computer company to a personal technology company. I'm actually spending lunch writing about fanboy-ism in 2018 and how difficult it is to keep up with Apple's many product lines.
    kleinergti1 and SPX like this.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    If anyone is curious what crashing does for YouTube revenue, here's a graph which at least the YT Revenue makes up for the $500 deductible I paid out for my bike:

[​IMG]

Average is $10 a day in Advertising revenue with a spike of $70 a day 2 days after the crash video was posted.
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  13. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    By that logic I really should be independently wealthy and retired by now ;)

Good for you, it's not easy money.
  14. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    @BlackDogCycleWorks Traction Footpegs Anodized Black Installed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SW-Motech's Adjustable Shift Lever for R1200GS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Switchglide12 and mikegc like this.
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, at least you don't have to wait for the anodizing to fade from black to purple. They already are.
    [​IMG]
    kleinergti1 and Dackrover like this.
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    It's entirely possible this was a white-balance issue but you could be right.
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, probably, for now! :-)
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I hope this snow doesn't 'stick around'
    [​IMG]
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  20. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow...those are some big bear traps you've bolted on! Bets on how long until they have a bevel ground away at the lower outside edge from the tarmac ...i.e., being "Adam-ized" via aggressive turn-in around curves??? ;-)

You'll like the shifter for those sasquatch feet you've got!

You will probably need to extend the toe a bit more -- mine is set where yours looks to be (jutting out from being exactly flush with the end of the lever), mostly kept there simply because I like how it looks there. My feet are only 11.5 (occasionally a 12 if I need a little extra width in some shoes), and when I have my Alpinestar boots on, I really want that shifter to be adjusted a bit longer and probably will do so next riding season.