AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you still have that 10mm socket, or did it vanish? :lol3
    PanzerRider and AdamChandler like this.
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think this is a lot more important. Just came:

[​IMG]
    TimmyTheHog, Jager, gadgettr1 and 6 others like this.
  3. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes Adam I am letting my local BMW club membership run out this year after 13 years. Just stale and not much going on, very few new members ,and just not a lot of fun any longer.

You seem to have the youth and burning desire that would make a club better and interesting.

When I grow up I want to be you!

Seriously good to see a relativity young person so full of life with so many diverse interests.

Have your fun and gather your toys. At your age I was in for two kids, two car payments, a house payment and not too many toys at all. I would not change it but I should have lived harder when I was younger with less commitments. I love my kids and grandchildren though so the trade off was worth it.

I am just going to have to live vicariously through you and your thread :lol2
  4. jaystonewee

jaystonewee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm dying here...picked up a 2017 GS Rallye at the end of last year, and just sold my 2008 4Runner to get a 2018 GTI this weekend

It's like you're a brother from another mother!
    JimVonBaden and AdamChandler like this.
  5. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are correct...and further, his new GS used to turn in (before he commenced to adding approx. 376.3 lbs. of new accessories...again!!! ;-);-);-)) respectable sub- 3s runs 0 to 60.

So, these bikes yield true supercar numbers, at least in raw acceleration performance up to around 100mph. Otoh, the current bikes top out around 136mph...so yeah, lots of cars go beyond that.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    @Dackrover, my car may or may not have hit 165 once. Tires are rated to 189. highly doubt I'll ever be so careless to go that fast ever again. It was still pulling albeit slowly.

@jaystonewee JB1/JB4 is a great addition to your new GTI if you want to keep that 72K mile warranty intact. It interacts with your ECU without displaying to VW you are tuned and can get your IS20 turbo to call for a little bit more boost. I think stock yours will call for around 15PSI peak, 21PSI is a good place to be and the JB4 can add a bit more power. PM me if you wanted to chat about modifications. Lots of mods listed here but the 1st post is a little out of date.

@LAFS - The Vermont chapter has 450 members I think. About 65 of us do the breakfast every month and there is an event at least once every 2 weeks May - September. It's pretty active. I'm also a member of Yankee Beemers, the BMWMOA and the Quebec Club. Every group has its strengths and I can't imaging just being a member of one. The Quebec group rides the hardest off-road. very hard. The Yankee group just has a couple of rallies in NH that I like going to and the national I just like the magazine, discounts and the road-side assistance which I use at least once a year. VT group is certainly the one I am most involved with as a volunteer, web-master duties and attending their events. I'm the youngest active member by about 12 years and the roster average is more around 60 years of age. Never bothered me at all. Age is just a number. everyone is a better rider than me so they're always teaching me new things and most importantly, everyone is looking out for each other and willing to lend a hand.

-----

GF's first ride tonight on Rosie. "you need a top box, this sucks" but other than that, "the new computer screen is awesome" and that's the girlfriend report out on the new GS!
  7. CA Dreaming

CA Dreaming Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected. I NEVER thought a hot hatch, even an AWD one was capable of an 11 second 1/4 mile.

I had a seriously fast bike for a while, owned a K1600GT for 4 months. I LOVED the power but hated the almost total lack of flywheel effect. Between the fact I couldn't get comfortable from the waist down and how heavy it felt in the twisties I haven't missed it a bit.

My 09 GS is plenty fast enough for me. With only 105 hp it doesn't need any electronic nannys beyond ABS. I'm actually strongly considering a McCruise despite the nearly $1000 price tag, ALOT cheaper than a new GS.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  9. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the foreseeable future the GSA will have to be my fun motorized toy. Oh well, could be a lot worse.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, that doesn't look like the Sargent seat I tried...and found only marginally comfortable. Looks like they've expanded their line. Must check this out!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. AltRider

AltRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the GSA? That's correct, our current GSA rad guard only goes up to 2017 at the moment. We're working on the update now but we've got a whole lot currently on our plate for product dev. If you haven't already, get signed up for our newsletter (through AltRider.com) to be the first to know when it is finished and released!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  12. AltRider

AltRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Dackrover,

EDIT. I was going to go straight to your original post after finding it but I think you're right, this could be useful for the people following Adam's build so I'll respond here and give Adam a chance to chime in if he'd like to share his thoughts.

First, our experience. We've run our rad guards on a GSW out in Death Valley with no issues in overheating. Keep in mind that Jeremy was riding so the bike was definitely ridden hard.

We've sold these in the hundreds between the 3 GSW/A versions. With that said, we have had a handful people mention this to us before. While the design, when looking straight on, can seem like it blocks a lot of air... the louvers were actually specifically designed to direct the air onto the radiator. If you're still concerned though, some riders have used a small spacer to pull the rad guard just a few mm out from it's normal spot. This allows for more dead space between the radiator and the guard, further increasing possible air flow. I can't recall who did it but I'm sure you could find that here on the forums somewhere.

-Bruce
    mikegc likes this.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Guess when I order from you guys, you can put me in for a pre-order then :)

Despite what others have said about air flow, I haven't experienced the fan coming on more with the AltRider radiator guards on my 2017 GSA but I also live in New Hampshire where we rarely have weather above 75F.
    AltRider likes this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Ordered a few things from @ADVdepot
    I will likely do the stabilizer kit ASAP because winters here are brutal and I want to put my Ztechnik Tall Windscreen on the bike again.

---

Looking at everything a bit more, I think the next big orders are going to be from Machine Art Moto, @AltRider, a Powder Module (what's better than PDM60?) and some tools for the new bike.
  15. PanzerRider

PanzerRider 2015 BMW R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Hey Adam, since you like tweaking engines, I think you should buy the AF-XIED from Nightrider.com or Beemerboneyard.com. Personally, I think it is one of my favorite mods I did on my bike (esp. if you go with a new header and end can).
    Coma and bowseruni like this.
  16. bowseruni

bowseruni 2018 r1200 GSA

Oddometer:
    Agree, the AF-XIED works great
  17. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    For some reason I picture Adam blasting AC/DC while working on this bike. Just need some shorts and a backpack :D

AdamChandler likes this.
  18. Dackrover

Oddometer:
    As explained in my post...the issue does NOT seem to arise necessarily in direct proportion to the relative levels of ambient heat ...but instead is more specific to following vehicles that create turbulence in the potential air then flowing into the radiator guards. I have seen the issue both at 90F ambient NY temps and also at 60F NY temps when behind a pickup truck...and then see the temps fall back to the usual 181F or so with no further fan intervention at both temps as soon as I have passed the truck. After removing the guards, the fan does not come on while moving ever at lower temps in NY...but I actually can replicate the experience at temps above 90F ...but ONLY if I follow very close another vehicle, or am caught in traffic (at normal/more safe following distances and moving, the air flow is still enough to avoid the fan even at 90F with the guards removed and NOT right on someone's bumper).

I think it pretty safe to presume Jeremy was NOT following many four wheeled vehicles bustling along in front of him in Death Valley...so, it makes perfect sense you didn't see this issue then...since you didn't actually replicate the circumstances described.

Go out and ride close behind a pickup truck through speeds up to 50-60mph, and your fan will come on too. You won't need to visit Death Valley to see the problem emerge... just try it anywhere the temps are something north of the mid-60s, and it will not be very hard to replicate adequate conditions to confirm exactly what I and others have reported to you in this regard.

Then, your independent confirmation satisfied, perhaps consider a slight modification of the design to better focus air at the radiator, without losing the stout protection -- which is certainly appreciated. At least consider improving this negative characteristic for future models... such as the aforementioned and currently unavailable 2018 models and beyond, works still in progress. Just saying!

I may try a spacer after the winter, but don't want to potentially compromise the protective qualities going into the gravel-laden and significantly cooler early winter / early spring riding periods...it will be more salient and inviting to explore further going into riding season next year.

Thanks for the reply, btw.
  19. RunninRanger

RunninRanger Rainy day Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode over to Sierra BMW here in Reno. Lo and behold, I found James working the parts counter. We first met at the Iron Horse BMW shop in Tucson. Super nice guy. Great shop. Family owned and ran for most part. I really liked the KLIM riding gear they keep in stock and the sweet Beta 300 dirt bikes!
  20. Dackrover

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you made a mention elsewhere on the forum, Adam...but for those who haven't seen it yet, he has indeed posted video including the fateful ride that totaled his Black Beauty this summer...watch from about 19 minutes in, if impatient:

LucidiT and gadgettr1 like this.